Please read this if you live in or near Rothenburg, Germany

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
rdb3

Please read this if you live in or near Rothenburg, Germany

Post by rdb3 » 03 Sep 2007, 22:05

I am interested in talking to anyone who has been to a store called "Sammler Truhe". It is in Rothenburg, Germany. It is a small antique store with many interesting Third Reich items. If you have been there please leave a post. I would like to hear if you thought the majority of the items in this store were original.

ebdonaldson

Re: Please read this if you live in or near Rothenburg, Germ

Post by ebdonaldson » 15 Jun 2013, 21:47

Better late than never? I just saw your question on this forum while looking up this store from an old business card I had.
Their inventory of Third Reich items, which in 1988 were displayed openly in a hidden second showroom, was impressive. I bought a ring and a badge there in '88 - they both turned out to be fakes. I would love to go back there again, knowing what I do now, but I do not have high hopes for the authenticity of their items.

Dienstuhr

Post by Dienstuhr » 01 Aug 2013, 14:41

I used to drink with the dentist that made your fake ring. Since that trade is legal now, I would be surprised if the fakes are still up for sale without you being told as much. The shop was one of the famed "GI traps" of Bayern, every dirt brained moron the US sent over in uniform had to have a swastika to show off. There's another shop in Ansbach that has a tray under the counter that changes contents depending on what fakes are seasonal. There is a hilarious side story to all of this, with everybody chasing swastikas around, I shipped out Franco-Prussian and WWI stuff like I was taking out the trash.

As a general rule, in that part of the country, if you are not "kein fiend" ie, other than enemy, you are dog-meat. Hell, that rule applies to military shows here too.

qwertyabuse

Re: Please read this if you live in or near Rothenburg, Germany

Post by qwertyabuse » 29 Mar 2015, 11:26

Please read below. New to the site and messed up the posting.
Last edited by qwertyabuse on 30 Mar 2015, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

qwertyabuse

Post by qwertyabuse » 29 Mar 2015, 12:22

I was in Rothenburg yesterday and happened upon this store. I guess I got bamboozled too, because I purchased a SS beer stein and an arm band that the lady urged was authentic. Her back room was filled with different WWII Nazi memorabilia that looked real to my unknowing eye. I guess I really wanted it to be authentic so I could own a piece of history. After returning home I researched online about authenticity of these items and to my dismay it seems the more I looked the more it was proven false. My wife will be returning tomorrow to confront this woman for a refund. It is legal to sell and purchase, but fraud is still illegal. We will be sure to spread her deceit and fraudulent business as a warning throughout the American populace here in Europe.

Keir

Post by Keir » 09 Apr 2015, 00:00

I'm in Rothenburg now and thought I visited every shop but seem to have missed this. Came across a few cheap Nazi-era daggers (cheap as in quality) but that's it.
Took a number of pics there for my webpage: http://www.tracesofevil.com/2004/01/rem ... conia.html
The marktplatz then and now
1933 Nazi dedication of a flag on Kapellenplatz
American soldiers in front of the Spitalbastei on April 17, 1945
Hitler leaving the Hotel Eisenhut in 1935 (across the street from the above-mentioned shop)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.59.02.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.57.37.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.00.40.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.00.40.png (200.48 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.02.34.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 23.02.34.png (276.5 KiB) Viewed 4301 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 09 Apr 2015, 02:52

Nice before and after photos.

thanks for sharing

ebdonaldson

Post by ebdonaldson » 01 Nov 2021, 13:50

ebdonaldson wrote:
15 Jun 2013, 21:47
Better late than never? I just saw your question on this forum while looking up this store from an old business card I had.
Their inventory of Third Reich items, which in 1988 were displayed openly in a hidden second showroom, was impressive. I bought a ring and a badge there in '88 - they both turned out to be fakes. I would love to go back there again, knowing what I do now, but I do not have high hopes for the authenticity of their items.

RE:Dienstuhr
Well, send that dentist my best regards. This “dirt brain” sold that ring for $800 in 1992 and used that to buy a decent used car I sorely needed. Considering I only paid US$60 for it he did me a grand favor! I wouldn’t have sold it had I known it was a reproduction, but the buyer had laughed thinking I got hosed by him so fair is fair. And believe it or not those specific rings are now collectors items themselves. There was even a short book written on the subject though it’s only in German. Kind of neat all the way around!

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”