Hermann Göring's Rings

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Hermann2

Re: Hermann Göring's Rings

Post by Hermann2 » 08 Nov 2008, 17:18

-Back in the '80's there were two separate Auction Sales of Göring items. One was His Kodak Camera & another was of one of his Rings. Very different from the one shown on these pages from NZ.
Do any fellow Aussies recall those Australian Auctions? I kept the newspaper Clippings for many years until some B*stard threw them out on Me!
Anything new on the Sale of Hermann's Boat?
& anything, latest on his daughter?
ps: I had My Birthday Dinner at the Bavarian Beir Cafe in the Entertainment Quarter of Fox Studios, earlier, today.
Ate/Drank too much...but it's worth it, NOT to have a splitting headache/Hangover, the sort You get from Aussie Beer
& burnt bl**dy Snags! Our waiter was a Yank. He couldn't even attempt a Bavarian accent!
Regs:
H2Oz

deadringer

Post by deadringer » 28 Nov 2008, 08:37

I may have one of the rings but am not sure.
Who can I send a shot of it to?

MontysCaravan

Post by MontysCaravan » 01 Dec 2008, 01:39

Johnnyrocket wrote:What is this mark? Does anyone have an idea out there on the Axis History Forum?
I've done some more research and think that this is the imperial eagle mark? Johnny R.
Get as good a picture as possible and post it up mate. It can be mucked about with in PS to bring out more detail than the naked eye can see. Make sure you use the macro setting on your camera. Also take a photo of the piece.

Is this a silver or gold piece?

If so it's worth bearing in mind how silver from Germany after 1888 carries a standard mark thus:

This is known as the "Crescent and Crown" and 800 is the quality of silver, 800 being the typical German standard. Sterling silver is 925 of course.

Many manufacturers continued to use the old town marks with the newer standardised marks, and/or their own unique smiths mark. So it's possible to have the C&C, two other marks and a number denoting quality, and this won't be in a standard order.

Also consider if this was sold to you as "German Silver" which is a term for an alloy of nickel, copper and zinc but which contains no silver, it's more commonly know as "Nickel Silver" but 19th century Germany was such a prolific producer of Nickel Silver it became widely known as German Silver. This may have a makers mark, but won't have the C&C.

This mark;
is a makers mark belonging to Bruckmann & Söhne of Heilbronn 1805 - 1973. They were a very distinguished jewellers who worked with many of Germany's leading designers.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 18 Feb 2009, 04:28

Here is another "Göring Family Crest Seal" that I've just found. Nice crisp design here on the image.

Johnny R.
Attachments
HG Crest Stamp Seal.jpg
Göring Seal Crest Image
HG Crest Stamp Seal.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 19 Mar 2009, 03:50

This is a photo is of what is believe to be the "real" Göring Seal of Office ring - from the late Dr. John K. Lattimer collection. This ring will go up for auction later this year. As soon as I get more detailed information I will post it here.

Evan Lattimer (Dr. Lattimer's daughter) has commissioned the entire John K.Lattimer collection to be auctioned off by Alexander Autographs, Inc. The sale has to many items to mention here.
For more information and catalogue contact: http://www.alexautographs.com

This ring was designed and produced by Master Goldsmith Prof. Dr. Herbert Zeitner of the Berlin Technical Academy.

It was presented personally by Adolf Hitler to Hermann W. Göring in 1940 when he was made Reichsmarschall. The ring has what we think to be the proper/correct (3) hallmarks on the reverse of the ring.

—Johnny R.
Attachments
LattimerGoering Ring.jpg
Hermann Göring's actual Seal of Office Ring 14K.
LattimerGoering Ring.jpg (164.03 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
Last edited by Johnnyrocket on 21 Mar 2009, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

Grünherz

Post by Grünherz » 19 Mar 2009, 09:43

Please excuse my ignorance but, did HG actually use his ring to dip into hot wax to seal documents? (and, if so, how secret were they?) ---referencing the reverse inscriptions.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 19 Mar 2009, 13:49

Grünherz wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but, did HG actually use his ring to dip into hot wax to seal documents? (and, if so, how secret were they?) ---referencing the reverse inscriptions.
He sure did - H. Göring loved things like this, and had many "wax seals" made with his family crest and or initials.

Their utalization would be a good subject for another thread concept.

Johnny R.

alexanderautographs

Post by alexanderautographs » 19 Mar 2009, 21:46

Just to set the record straight -

We obtained a number of items from Evan Lattimer's collection, but certainly not the entire collection. Some items have been sent abroad for sle, and others have not been made available for sale. We do have the Göring signet ring, and believe it to be the "right" one.

Our tentative description for this item follows:

An extraordinary find, Hermann Göring's 14 carat gold signet ring, proudly worn by the head of Hitler's Luftwaffe from 1942 until shortly before his capture. This massive ring measures 1" across at its widest point, and depicts Göring's family crest of an upheld arm and fist in chain mail, with a lion and stag, topped by a pair of eagle's wings. The crest is surrounded by block lettering: "<I>REICHSMARSCHALL H. GÖRING MINISTERPRÄSIDENT<P>". The ring was originally obtained by noted collector Dr. John Lattimer, who purchased the ring for the Evan Lattimer Collection, and pictured in Lattimer's book <I>Hitler's Fatal Sickness<P>, p. 84. Lattimer, who was a physician who attended Goring and his fellow defendants at Nuremburg, obtained the ring from California militaria Roger Steele in September, 1969. On the envelope in which he enclosed the ring, Steele notes: "<I>Purchased just yesterday from a chap in nearby Burbank...<P>". A week later, Steelewrote Lattimer adding little more information: "...<I>there is nothing more by way of information I can provide you with regarding the hat and/or ring...<P>", and a few weeks later he adds that he only has "<I>third hand<P>" information. However, a third person, apparently a friend of Lattimer, sent him a 1969 two-page photocopy from "<I>MILITARIA The Military Collector's Magazine<P>", Vol. I, No. 4, specifically the classifieds page, in which one "<I>B. L. Liberman<P>" in Burbank offers exactly the same ring Steele sold to Lattimer. To thicken the plot, some time after Lattimer purchased this ring, copies turned up on the market, we understand perhaps twelve in number, likely attributed to Steele. One prominient collector has sent us images of his ring, as well as an idential ring sold several years ago in New Zealand, which was purported to be teh "original" Göring signet ring. As far as we can determine, the collector's ring and the New Zealand ring bear <B>identical<P> hallmarks in shape, design and location to each other. The ring we possess bears hallmarks in <B>different<P> positions, with the most notable difference being that of the ring's designer, Prof. Herbert Zeitner. While the Zeitner hallmark in the copies bears no rings about the "Z", our bears the two circles, and the bottom line in the "Z" flares at its termination, as his correct hallmark should. We have not found a single forged Göring ring that bears this correct hallmark. The ring is in excellent condition, bearing some slight wear only from Lattimer's having worn it on occasion, sold with the Steele correspondence and the Militaria copies. Available for inspection on request.

Would appreciate any and all comments!

Bill Panagopulos
President, Alexander Autographs, Inc.
...and a fellow collector!
Bill Panagopulos
Alexander Historical Auctions, LLC
Alexander Autographs, Inc.
[email protected]

alexanderautographs

Post by alexanderautographs » 19 Mar 2009, 21:48

Lattimer ring
Attachments
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Bill Panagopulos
[email protected]

alexanderautographs

Post by alexanderautographs » 19 Mar 2009, 21:57

Lattimer ring
Attachments
Ring.top.jpg
Ring.top.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
Bill Panagopulos
[email protected]

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 20 Mar 2009, 15:32

Goering Carinhall storage award room.jpg
What a room this was!
Goering Carinhall storage award room.jpg (102.39 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
Johnnyrocket wrote:
Grünherz wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but, did HG actually use his ring to dip into hot wax to seal documents? (and, if so, how secret were they?) ---referencing the reverse inscriptions.
He sure did—H. Göring loved things like this, and had many "wax seals" made with his family crest and or initials.

Their utalization would be a good subject for another thread concept.

Johnny R.
Göring kept all his presentation documents stored in this elaborate storage chest. these were on display in his award room at Karin Hall. Please note the seals on the documents some large as shown and some small there I'm sure.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 10 Apr 2009, 03:08

Here is a perfect image of the ring face as designed by Zeitner.

Johnny R.
Attachments
ZeitnerreversedDesign.jpg
ZeitnerreversedDesign.jpg (172.03 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
Zeitner Goering Design.jpg
Zeitner Goering Design.jpg (169.12 KiB) Viewed 4118 times

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 13 Apr 2009, 17:56

Johnnyrocket wrote:What is this mark? Does anyone have an idea out there on the Axis History Forum?
I've done some more research and think that this is the imperial eagle mark?

Johnny R.
Based on further research—I have come to believe that this is the Hallmark of the firm Bruckmann & Sohn and or J. W. Paulmann & Sohn manufacturing firms during that period of German history.

Bruckmann & Sohn went out-of-business in 1974 and did produced many of Dr. Prof. Herbert Zeitner's designs during that period of time (WWII). These firms were often use by Herbert Zeitner for the production of his silver and Gold designs for various high Nazi leaders (i.e. Hitler, Goring, etc.).

Prof. Zeitner's work is highly sought after in todays military markert.

Johnny R.
Attachments
Bruckmann&Sohne.jpg
Variations on Bruckmann Hallmarks over the years.
Bruckmann&Sohne.jpg (123.71 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
ZeitnerBruckmann & Sohne Hallmark.jpg.jpg
Bruckmann Hallmark
ZeitnerBruckmann & Sohne Hallmark.jpg.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
J. W. Paulmann & Sohn hallmark.jpg
J. W. Paulmann Hallmark
J. W. Paulmann & Sohn hallmark.jpg (1.79 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 16 Apr 2009, 03:01

Here is the link for the Göring Ring Sale:

http://auctions.alexautographs.com

Ps: You will have to register on the site to utilize this link.

Johnny Rocket

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 28 Apr 2009, 19:00

This is an image I found of Hitler presenting this ring being presented personally by Adolf Hitler to Hermann W. Göring in 1940 when he was made Reich Marshal.

If anyone has information (or further details) they would like to add to this AH/Göring presentation in 1940, please weigh in on this forum.

Johnny R.
Attachments
goering.jpg
goering.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 3842 times

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”