SS uniforms after the war

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
trespasser07

SS uniforms after the war

Post by trespasser07 » 23 May 2011, 17:31

Just wondering what happened to a lot of the famous ss members uniforms after they surrendered or were killed at the end of the war or after their trials? An example of this is Rudolf Hoess who ditched his SS-Obersturmbannführer-Uniform to hide his past as a navel man.

Any info would be appreciated.
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Max Williams

Re: SS uniforms after the war

Post by Max Williams » 23 May 2011, 18:08

I have it on good authority that Höss buried his uniform. :D
Max.
Attachments
muddy_country_road.jpg

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 23 May 2011, 18:22

Some uniforms survived. In the Lofoten War museum, parts of the personal uniforms to Wolfgang Fehmer and others are on display: http://www.lofotenkrigmus.no/gestapo.htm

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 23 May 2011, 19:13

I thank you. I was at the Imperial War Museum a couple of years ago and i'm sure there was a Gruppenfuhrer uniform there not sure to whom it belonged. Are there any examples of persons being captured whilst still in the full dress? And did any Oberstgruppenfuher uniforms survive e.g. Kurt Daluege uniform?

Max thanks for the info I heard that Hoess deputy Aumier was caught by the Americans in full ss dress!

Thanks again.
"We believe in what we do!" - written in Friedrich Rainer's Guestbook by Odilo Globocnik in April 1943.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 23 May 2011, 19:48

Many original uniforms ended up with a theatrical costume agency in Munich. Probably they were sold by the owners or their families. I believe it was Andrew Mollo that discovered them and purchased several, but I might be mistaken. I do know that two of Pohl's tunics are in the Ulric of England collection, having passed through several people's hands. Wolff's is also resting comfortably in the USA. I did hear on the grapevine that Waldeck's uniforms are still with the family, but that is a closed shop. From time to time, one sees the odd original uniform offered for sale and von Gottberg, Hildebrandt and Demelhuber are just three I believe were for sale. von Ribbentrop's uniform has also recently been on the market. Remember though that these men didn't have just one uniform, they had a few.
(BTW, my post about Höss was tongue in cheek. :roll: )
Max.

trespasser07

Post by trespasser07 » 23 May 2011, 20:30

Thanks Max just realised about the Hoess post sorry haha! Very interesting very envoius of anyone who has access to them. Do you have any info regrding Kurt Daluege's arrest in Lubeck in May 1945? Was he arrested in uniform etc?

Thanks again Max/

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”