Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Most ridiculous item of militaria seen for sale?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

Most ridiculous item of militaria seen for sale?

Postby stevewebster on 11 Nov 2011 09:18

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread for items of militaria seen on the internet that might be described as fantastical, overpriced or just plain weird. Over the years I've seen the "ghost" of a deceased Japanese soldier on e-bay (for $thousands), a rusty ground-dug british helmet found on a beach in France (for $hundreds) and a "genuine" SA Feldherrhalle presentation dagger (for just £200). Anyone got any good ones?
stevewebster
United Kingdom

Re: Most ridiculous item of militaria seen for sale?

Postby Carl Schwamberger on 11 Nov 2011 16:22

A worn out low cut shoe in a museum. labled a "Belgian Rest Shoe". Not a pair, just a dried out and used bit of leather & laces in the display case ? :? ?
Carl Schwamberger
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Melnyk on 11 Nov 2011 17:36

Hi

How about a "Genuine NAZI wartime Austrian / English dictionary". The would be seller told me his dad was fluent in Austrian (among other langauges) and had "brought it back from the war" :D .

best wishes

Mike Melnyk
Melnyk
United Kingdom

Postby Mark in Cleveland, Tn. on 14 Nov 2011 00:41

Eva Brauns underwear.....via SnydersTreasures!!!!
Mark in Cleveland, Tn.
United States

Postby sunbury2 on 09 Jan 2012 06:30

Antique Road Show in the UK, had horse nose plugs as part of a gas mask for horses on display. Two big wooden pegs to shove up the poor horse's nostrils.
sunbury2
Australia

Postby phylo_roadking on 10 Jan 2012 14:20

Probably still "current issue"! 8O There was a news story here in the Uk some years ago now when the MoD was selling off its properties and putting the management of others out to contract...there were two warehouses full of WWI duckboards and disposable mule shoes! :lol:

But surely the weirdest piece of militaria for sale was - David Irving's claim a couple of years back to be selling samples of Hitler's hair??? :wink:
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...
phylo_roadking
United Kingdom

Postby Mark McShane on 15 Jan 2012 10:08

I saw a post war signed photo of Fritz Lemp (U-110) for sale. Gutted I missed it, it was already sold.
Mark McShane
Ireland

Postby stevewebster on 05 Feb 2012 00:25

Saw a good one today at www.ardennes44.com. For just 95 euros you could be the proud owner of a (rusty) car door handle...in camo!
stevewebster
United Kingdom

Postby Captain Cogle on 07 May 2012 03:36

For varying degrees of stupidity, absurdity and shame. Please visit here. www.snyderstreasures.com I visit occasionally just to laugh. My personal favorites are the East German helmets with partial plastic liners that he calls BOTH Dutch and Portuguese.
Captain Cogle
United States

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria