Not sure...

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
new_rya

Not sure...

Post by new_rya » 15 Jan 2013, 01:44

I was given this bayonet as a gift and have had no luck getting it identified. There is a steel(?) sheath, no markings that I can see. The barrel hole seems to be the same caliber as the M1891 knife that I received the same day. I cannot find any distinguishing marks, only a number stamped behind the tang. Any leads would be much appreciated. In case you can't see clearly, the catch and clearing hole are on the right hand side.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
bayonet number.JPG
stamp after I cleaned it up
full bayonet.JPG
Pitted and pocked from rust, but not too bad

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Not sure...

Post by John G. » 15 Jan 2013, 13:59

new-rya, :welcome:
Your bayonet is a WW 2 ITALIAN M1938 Carcano bayonet w/sheath.....Non-folding version. Used to be very common, nowadays these run $50./100.00 depending retail....wouldn't hurt it to give it a squirt of "WD-40" all over, then wipe it down and wipe your finger prints off......(entire bayonet, sheath, blade, grips....won't hurt as long as you don't "soak it"...will look alot better! Don't scrub or steel wool anything....but alittle WD-40 never hurts most of this sort of stuff!
John G.

new_rya

Post by new_rya » 15 Jan 2013, 18:14

that was easy! thank you, i've used the WD40 on the sheath and a rust treatment (very mild) on the blade. The grip got a nice healthy dose of Formby's Poly Finish, low gloss. Good to know not to use steel wool, the other blade has gouges from what looks like a wire brush, I'm hoping to be able to polish them both into better condition. Would 600 grit be okay do you think?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 15 Jan 2013, 20:35

Unless you have serious active rust.....I wouldn't do any more than you have too!....don't try to polish it....it NEVER was polished, you'll ruine it if you overdo it. This is a historical military artifact that was meant to be worn in the field....you can buy an original frog (the leather belt attachment that mounts on the sheath) for under $15.00....would be well worth it if the bayonet is in good enough condition!

Scrub it with an old toothbrush if you must.....(w/WD-40), then wipe "dry"....no steel wool, emery cloth, etc. or you'll wreck it!
John G.

new_rya

Post by new_rya » 16 Jan 2013, 21:47

I've been using the toothbrush exclusively. Makes me want to be the person to restore antiques, I love this kinda work! The other bayonet (M1981) is much worse shape. I'm having some trouble with the leather sheath. Maybe polished was the wrong word...buff out? I've almost finished cleaning them both up; I'll look into the frog, thanks!

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”