identify a unit, need help

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
just

identify a unit, need help

Post by just » 21 Jan 2013, 19:08

Hello
can you tell me more about this unit ?
thanks for answers
cordially
Didier

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: identify a unit, need help

Post by John G. » 21 Jan 2013, 20:32

Didier,
Unit marking is "4th Strum (Company)/Standarte 126 (126th Regt.)....but without knowing the "Gruppe" I don't think you can go any further with IDing the exact location.....

HOWEVER!!!!! The engraving of "Fur True Dienst & the Unit markings" on the throat are VERY UNTYPICAL of known original markings....and not really typical German engraving style IMO. Unless I really trusted the sorce....I'd be very hestitant to believe these engravings are original.....so beware!.....I'd run this by the Dagger experts If I was considering buying it.....

Dagger is probably original enough....it's the markings/engraving that's suspect IMO.....
John G.

John G.

Post by John G. » 21 Jan 2013, 20:33

sorry, double post...

just

Post by just » 23 Jan 2013, 08:28

Hello John
thank you
yes, I take care, there is a good story with this dagger, but ??
I never seen that before, like you...
I posted it on WAF, but no answers, I wait
cordially
Didier

John G.

Post by John G. » 06 Feb 2013, 19:48

Not sure the WAF is the right place to post this either.....too many opinions, too many experts.....isn't there a "daggerforum" ?
John G.

Frederick Prinz

Post by Frederick Prinz » 15 Feb 2013, 23:23

It looks to me like it's mechanically engraved (with a template) which is something that you see for example with some examples of period Kriegsmarine items. But not all upper case letters, using both upper and lower case letters just like conventionally engraved markings or inscriptions (the same as if it was written). And where Ümlauts were used they are appropriately centered and at the same level - which means that they used a template with integral Ümlauts. Which is something that cannot be said with this example that looks like they were added afterward. FP

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”