HJ Silver Diamond - Carl Julius Krebs

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Colonel666

HJ Silver Diamond - Carl Julius Krebs

Post by Colonel666 » 17 Feb 2014, 03:49

These photos are of a "Sports Achievement" or BDM Olympic silver diamond "painted with translucent pebbled field youth knife. There is no wiggle to the metal diamond and the blade is later period thickness with logo on ricasso. This is a genuine piece but how am I to give further expert proof that this is quite rare?
Attachments
DSC_0035-2.jpg
DSC_0035-2.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 972 times
DSC_0034-3.jpg
DSC_0033-1.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: HJ Silver Diamond - Carl Julius Krebs

Post by John G. » 17 Feb 2014, 13:24

Colonel666 wrote:These photos are of a "Sports Achievement" or BDM Olympic silver diamond "painted with translucent pebbled field youth knife. There is no wiggle to the metal diamond and the blade is later period thickness with logo on ricasso. This is a genuine piece but how am I to give further expert proof that this is quite rare?
:welcome:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.... based on the quality of the HJ diamond alone, this is a reproduction. You should show the entire blade/sheath if included, but there was no BDM or Sports achievement award knifes...and the Germans never made this style enamel grip emblem. This is pretty much the same as examples shown in "Reproduction? Recognition!" by Stephens...Hitler Youth section, Pg.s 74/75 (except for the "foot" still being present on the guard).

See what other have to say...but I doubt you'll get a differant opinion on this one....sorry.
John G.
Co-moderator this section
Collector since 1958, dealer since the early 70s

Colonel666

Post by Colonel666 » 27 Feb 2014, 14:54

HYK #34598 Late Hitler Youth Knife RZM M7/66 1942 - Carl Eickhorn

This Hitler Youth Knife has to be the latest made

example that I have seen. I feel that because of its late production date and the resultant nuances make for a very collectible example. The Youth knife has good nickel-plated surfaces. The nickeling is over a pot metal base as we mostly see on late examples. The plating shows only nominal age but still appears to be there at 100% throughout. It reflects a patination as this piece has not been cleaned. The grip plates are the bake-o-lite type and they are in perfect condition throughout. The Youth insignia is set into the obverse grip and does wiggle being an indication it is pinned. It is fascinating to see though that the Youth insignia is a painted type, not enamel as we normally see. We see the same type of painted insignia with NSDAP Party buttons. Apparently as the war progressed the enamel process was too expensive to continue so painted insignia was substituted. The insignia still features the red north and south positions on the diamond and white east and white positons with a black mobile swastika in the center. The insignia though is immediately noticeable due to its different surfaces. This is fascinating stuff for me as this kind of thing really speaks to you. It is also interesting that the rivets are the steel type having dressed obverse heads but the area below on the bake-o-lite has been countersunk and nicely rounded, something you normally do not see on Hitler Youth knives. Chances are this was a one off order that was made. The reverse rivets also have the look of a hand trimmed surface different from what is normally seen.

The scabbard for this late example is a standard tapered steel type. Unfortunately the paint on the obverse shows about half of the left side and lower area having rust on the surfaces. The reverse however is still in pretty good shape paint-wise. This paint overall rates at maybe 70%. Attached to the scabbard is a brown leather belt loop with a small retainer loop having working snap. The blade of this example is a conventional Hitler Youth style having short ricasso. This blade shows some old sharpening on the edges and also some of the sharpening wheel has gone into the blade surfaces but it does not look too bad. The blade certainly grades at excellent to excellent plus. On the reverse is the rarely seen, “over-the-shoulder” trademark of Eickhorn used after 1941. Beneath the squirrel which is looking backwards is the stamping, “Original / Eickhorn / Solingen”. At the ricasso is stamped an open single RZM circle and to the right, is the code and date of production, “M 7/66/1942”. The original leather buffer is in place. As I’ve said above I believe this to be one of the last Hitler Youth knives made during the period and as such it should be quite desirable for collectors who specialize in HJ knives.

Excellent. $995.00

Colonel666

Post by Colonel666 » 27 Feb 2014, 15:07

This is a VERY RARE early BDM youth knife with metal scabbard and leather hanger strap and ORIGINAL VOOS factory Olympics marked shipping bag. It has a fancy gilt and enamel city coat of arms with crown surmount and Berlin Olympic eagle emblem.

The legend is "ZUM RUHME DES SPORTS ZUR EHRE DES VATERLANDES" is rendered in gilt between the eagle emblem and coat of arms. There is an EMIL VOOS SOLINGEN name and logo and GES. GESCH. registered maker marks are present on the reverse side of the blade. The knife measures 8-1/8 inches long with a 4-3/4 inch blade. These are close-ups of the front and rear of the stag horn grip. There is an inset HJ diamond on the front grip. The scabbard is all metal, with the strap riveted to the side.

The original Olympic marked Emil Voos bag (front and rear) is included with this knife. The condition is near excellent, with some minor signs of wear, apparent in the images.
Attachments
34598.jpg
34598.jpg (72.1 KiB) Viewed 918 times
DSCN0733.JPG

Colonel666

Post by Colonel666 » 27 Feb 2014, 15:24

Here are some similar examples of this late model Krebs HJ knife from trusted sources on the web. Also included is the full view of the knife. The "foot" on the guard was damaged (broken off) when it was shipped to me, so I smoothed it blunt myself. It has no scabbard. Enjoy!
Attachments
DSC_0003-5.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Mar 2014, 04:01

I've given my opinion.....Not worth trying to prove anything, you should take it to the German Dagger forum and see what they have to say....
John G.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 02 Mar 2014, 19:27

Good ole GDF/GDC/ more than likely allready been posted over there for the 3-4 members of that forum that still contribute on a regular basis(regular meaning at least once a month) :lol: :lol:

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”