unknown US visor cap ?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
just

unknown US visor cap ?

Post by just » 27 Aug 2014, 09:47

Hello
what is this cap ?
Navy ?
thanks for answers
cordially
Didier

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Re: unknown US visor cap ?

Post by Maxschnauzer » 27 Aug 2014, 11:40

Definitely not US Navy. Possibly Navy or Merchant Marine of some other country. I think in the three bladed screw is the insignia for an Engineer officer rank in the MM but this one looks different and I don't think is worn on the cap.
Cheers,
Max

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 27 Aug 2014, 12:14

US Merchant Marine, Maritime Service, Merchant Service... agree it's for an Engineering Officer (Prop insignia can "vary" some).... could be "US-Allied" but typical for US Merchant Service durning and after WW2.... clear photo of the chin strap buttons could narrow the possibilities... would have to see the interior and construction details to date this properly.... "Navy" is difficult because of continued use/wear thru 1960s of WW 2 vintage inventories.... and used more traditional construction methods for a longer period than most other US branches....
John G.

just

Post by just » 27 Aug 2014, 12:21

Hello Gentlemen
many thanks
only 2 pictures, here is the second
Didier

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 27 Aug 2014, 12:26

John G. wrote:US Merchant Marine, Maritime Service, Merchant Service... agree it's for an Engineering Officer (Prop insignia can "vary" some).... could be "US-Allied" but typical for US Merchant Service durning and after WW2.... clear photo of the chin strap buttons could narrow the possibilities... would have to see the interior and construction details to date this properly.... "Navy" is difficult because of continued use/wear thru 1960s of WW 2 vintage inventories.... and used more traditional construction methods for a longer period than most other US branches....
John G.
John,
I think Ratner was a US manufacturer of military caps and apparel but could you tell which country this was made for by a close up of the buttons on the side?
Cheers,
Max

just

Post by just » 27 Aug 2014, 12:52

and the button

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 28 Aug 2014, 02:31

I'm no expert on vintage uniforms but the anchor looks American (no crown or anything). I do know that the Ratner Hat Company of San Diego, California made hats and uniforms for the US Navy (and I assume Merchant Marine) from WWII up until they went out of the apparel business in the 1980's. They even developed a special gold braid for officer's visor caps. That's pretty much all I can tell you about your hat, but hopefully somebody can give you a more positive id based on the cockade. Good luck.
Cheers,
Max

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 28 Aug 2014, 13:30

Merchant Service (Maritime Service) "generic" anchor buttons... interior details/construction of the hat would probably date this 1945- early 60s...(wartime markings tended to be more "subdued"/less "commercial" than the early postwar thru Korea period made hats....)

Believe this to be 100% US Commercial fleet type hat... (Esso, Texaco, Shell, etc. all had large tanker fleets, etc. thru the 1960s)...
John G.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”