Can someone identify these epaulettes?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 01 Sep 2014, 15:01

Attachments
001.JPG

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Can someone identify these epaulettes?

Post by John G. » 05 Sep 2014, 12:24

The double-headed eagles (or griffins) would indicate Russian/Polish/or Austro/Hungarian I would suspect.... closeups of the buttons might help. Appear to be 1850s/1890s (poss. earlier/later) but seeing the bottoms would help estimating the time period... Unusual that there are no "crowns, septers, or crests".... possibly something like "Polish League" or Polish Veterans????? (or whomever...)
John G.

Checked "double-headed eagles/griffins" on goggle and would add (as a strong possibility eagle-style wise) Serbia/Balkans to the list.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 07 Sep 2014, 02:48

JohnG, could these be a USA Fraternal Order Double Adler boards. I recall same type double headed adlers.., either very old Templar Knights, or Masonic,or some other such Org. No crowns, septers, orbs, etc

VERY OLD PAST CENTURY.

Will have to search some saved sites, as I recall seeing these just a couiple nights ago while searching.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 07 Sep 2014, 02:55

Here is an adler somewhat the same,,, except for bottom scroll on buckle. An old Masonic sword belt sash buckle, a couple others say it is an old GAR buckle.
Attachments
e458236a1df3d644b141967ff375ff86_rnbg.png
e458236a1df3d644b141967ff375ff86_rnbg.png (162.35 KiB) Viewed 371 times

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 07 Sep 2014, 03:08

Or could be period Civil War era with ADDED ON ADLERS, button attachments, for use with fraternal Org. usage
Here is one model of vintage brass types, not exactly the same, but you get my idea!
Attachments
epaulettes.jpg

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 07 Sep 2014, 04:08

Thanks for those comments. I'm of course aware that the double-headed eagle is a state symbol associated with Russia, Poland, Austria-Hungary, Serbia, Albania and maybe other countries. I was hoping for a more concrete identification than that. :D

I found these in a box of my grandfather's stuff. He was an Australian naval officer in World War I and II, but so far as I know he never went anywhere near eastern Europe. He wore a dress uniform with epaulettes on formal occasions, but presumably not these ones.

John as per your request here are photos of the underside (red velvet) and closeups of the eagles.

Mark, yes, the resemblance is striking. So far as I know my grandfather didn't belong to any fraternal organisations.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 07 Sep 2014, 12:17

Adam/Mark/all...
These are NOT the "Civil War" U.S. shoulder scales, those I've handled many of over the years. The construction style is not typical for American (so I'd rule "U.S. and faternal" out)....I'd definately lean more toward Balkan States, probably Serbia Pre-WW 1 Dress...
Shoulder scales were common for dress uniforms 1840s thru 1930s...

The button and construction details all indicate "not" the usual British, German, US, Italian, French "candidates"... Serbia did have troops that fought on the Western & Italian Fronts...and had Military & civil refugees in Ciaro, etc. ..... no idear about a Navy....(these shoulder scales have nothing to do with Navy - very typical "Army (or Dragoon-) style.

Not many referances or "experts" on Serbia/Balkan WW 1 vintage militaria (if that's what these are) so will be difficult getting anything definate.
John G.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 07 Sep 2014, 12:43

The nearest I can find by googling is these, which are identified as Georgian, though with no date. They're pretty much identical, only without the eagles. This suggests to me that they're World War I Russian.
Attachments
epaulettes.JPG
epaulettes.JPG (38.71 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”