Where to buy!

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Gustavo Woltmann

Where to buy!

Post by Gustavo Woltmann » 12 Mar 2016, 00:29

I'm very new to WWII militaria, as I have been collecting mostly 19th century French antiques such as furniture from famous cabinetmakers.

Can you recommend me trustworthy dealers and auction sites that sell 100% authentic WWII militaria? I'm worried that I might accidentally buy reproductions.. I don't want to make the same mistakes all over again that I did when I first got into collecting French antiques.. :D
What I'm looking for are authentic SS uniforms/tunics and Adolf Hitler's personal items such as silverware.
I'm aware that there are probably 99 reproduction tunics for every genuine one, and the "AH" monogram in silverware could be a modern engraving as well, I think.

I've been browsing the treasure trove of a certain U.S. major but after reading reviews about him and his treasures, I've decided to ask around before I get burned.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Where to buy!

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 12 Mar 2016, 02:14

If the major is Snyder, he passed away months ago,

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 12 Mar 2016, 14:09

You'll need deep pockets....LOTS OF MONEY..... to collect A.H. items or SS uniforms..... both are available but obviously VERY EXPENSIVE! There's no "wholesale" and demand is "great", even at this level. If you were dealing with "Major Snyder", you're lucky he died... you were about to be screwed! He was one of those dealers who made 100s of thousands of dollars selling high end fakes to "newbees" like you.

You're best place to begin would be the more "Artifact" related (specialized) forums.... with active "For Sale" sections... anything questionable is usually quickly "vetted" if needed... and occasionally "SS Uniforms" and "AH silverware" show up for sale.

You didn't say if you're interest was in in collecting or "investing".... the market for militaria is "shifting", hard to predict future demand, especially at this level. When you have to pay "highest retail" to begin, hard to realize profits/gains.

Best I can tell you. England has several reputable dealers specializing in SS/Higher end stuff.... the other forums can lead you to them....
Some you can ask about here... but this is more a "History" than a "Artifact" forum... NO Dealer or Auction Houses have 100% original items... you have to be able to tell yourself or risk getting burnt. Less chance on the forums retail sections (still happens) but there's always stuff that fools the best intended of "us"....

Use this and the other forums for help when you can... but if you thought antiques and art was complicated and expensive... you're in for a surprise! Good luck.
John G.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 12 Mar 2016, 18:50

Gustavo Woltmann wrote: I've been browsing the treasure trove of a certain U.S. major but after reading reviews about him and his treasures, I've decided to ask around before I get burned.
That was a lucky escape ..... divine intervention you might say :lol:

Ian.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”