Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

British Union of Fascists militaria

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

Pin

Postby Douglas 5 on 08 Jan 2005 14:58

It was just a long shot trying to identify the pin... yes , correct they are SS runes and not flashes .
Douglas 5
Douglas 5
Canada

Postby Kristijan on 10 Jan 2005 19:58

British Union of Fascists have published many different books,newspapers,pamphlets,flyers and other paper material.This is scan of 'Blackshirt' newspaper No.239,November 1937,from my collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kristijan
Croatia

Postby Kristijan on 19 Jan 2005 18:34

Kristijan wrote:'Mosley's Men in Black',new book about BUF/UM uniforms and insignia is finally available.You can find info and purchase it at http://www.oswaldmosley.com/books.htm .

Yesterday I recived this book and already read it!All I can say that the book is GREAT.Lot of info,great photos,...Some items I never saw before or even know that they exist!
I strongly recomend this book to anyone with at least slight interest in this topic!
Kristijan
Croatia

Honour Standard

Postby helmsman on 26 Jan 2005 22:36

Here is a interesting photo of a pre-war B.U.F. Honour Standard being used minus the 'British Union' box post-war. This is a march in North London c.1959 and Sir Oswald Mosley is marching behind the standard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helmsman
United States

Postby Claymore on 27 Jan 2005 00:32

UM Band marching
Claymore
United Kingdom

Honour Standards

Postby Menachem on 27 Jan 2005 10:29

Thanks for the interesting photos.

Here is an unusual photo from the early post-war period probably 1948/49. As can be seen some Honour Standards have had the 'BRITISH UNION' box removed, however, at least two haven't. It is known from photos that on a march to commemorate the founding of the pre-war 'British Union of Fascists' which took place in 1952, several old complete B.U. Honour Standards were carried. What the reason for using the complete standards on this late 1940's march is a mystery.
Menachem
United Kingdom

Honour Standard

Postby Menachem on 01 Feb 2005 12:10

A complete Honour Standard
Menachem
United Kingdom

Imperial War Museum

Postby helmsman on 01 Feb 2005 19:45

Very nice standard Honour Standard.. Menachem. Thanks.

I've posted a photo taken at the Imperial War Museum, as can be seen there is a display of British Union of Fascists items. However, to me the armband looks more like a film prop than a genuine item. What do others think ????
helmsman
United States

Postby Claymore on 01 Feb 2005 23:09

A truly wonderfull piece you have there Menachem...
Claymore
United Kingdom

Film prop brassard

Postby Menachem on 02 Feb 2005 10:32

Thanks Claymore and Helmsman re the Honour Standard.

Helmsman.

I agree with your comment about the 'B.U.F.' brassard in the Imperial War Museum. It looks very like the style of brassard used in the film 'It Happemed Here' ,this was a film about what would have happened had the Germans invaded in 1940. In actual fact one of the banners from this film is now in the collection of a well known American flag collector. All I can think with regard to the IWM is that they were unable to acquire an original brassard so used a copy as a fill in. Although perhaps that's being generous and they just don't know the difference.
Menachem
United Kingdom

Postby Kristijan on 08 Feb 2005 15:33

It also looks like a movie prop to me.Since I'm living in London now(my room is at Elephant & Castle,near the IWM),I will go there this weekend and try to find out little more about that armband.
Kristijan
Kristijan
Croatia

Imperial War Museum

Postby Menachem on 08 Feb 2005 17:45

Some years ago I contacted the IWM to find out what other items they had in their collection, apparently they have another Black shirt tunic and belt (other than that on display). On appointment they will let you look at items not on display. They will not however (understandably), remove items on display for you to look at/photograph.
Menachem
United Kingdom

Postby Kristijan on 24 Feb 2005 12:30

I was yesterday in IWM and got information that this brassard was donated to Museum in 1963 and they are 100% sure it is original item!?
They also told me that IWM in Manchester has two more B.U.F. badges in their collection.

Also,for all those interested in REPRO badges there is new site that deals with those types of B.U.F. stuff.Just click on http://www.worldwiderelics.com .
Last edited by Kristijan on 11 Aug 2005 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kristijan
Croatia

BUF/UM Badges - A Little Background Information From Maker!

Postby Relics on 28 Feb 2005 18:24

Gentleman:

I thought it would be helpful to give you a little background information on the U.M Badges that are occasionally sold on EBAY and through our site http://www.worldwiderelics.com so that collectors do not get confused or taken by people who buy stuff from me and then resell it. I thought I would correct Claymore on one area he is wrong.

Flash & Circle Badges: The tooling for these badges came from a scrap yard in Ilford near the station and were found by me in the early 1980's. They had a stamp on them that said: "Brixton Tool & Die" and were in reasonable condition. The smaller badge in enamel is very similiar to an original in my collection so I can only assume this was a branch fund raiser. Any one who ever attended a U.M meeting back in the day use to see so many examples of that badge that it is impossible to catalogue them! Any badges produced by WWR are easy to tell since they have our email address on the back. The cut away Flash & Circles were sold to my certain knowledge in the style I produce as late as the 1970's and could be bought from Jeff Hamm for about 30 pence. My ones are the correct size and I have seen ones larger that are the size of an old 10 pence coin. These one have a longer pin verses the 2" inch pin I have on the ones I sell. Again these badges came from dies bearing the "Bixton Tool & Die" markings. All badges have "Abbey Supplies 1987" on the back with the exception of a few proofs and rejects.

BUF 1934 Badge: This was deliberately made larger to avoid confusion and was produced in 1982 to celebrate 50 years of Mosley politics in the UK and should have had the letters U.M 1982 but the badge people got it wrong. A few were sold off at FOM get togethers in the late 1980's with the residual winding up on our website.

Flag Badges: These again are taken from 1950's dies and are probably were a branch fund raiser. They are easy to spot since they are not made of pressed aluminium but are die struck. I have seen the exact badge I sell at a U.M get together in 1982 so I know they were produced in the early 1950's. Look for the stamp on the back and you will be able to tell a WorldWideRelics.com badge.

Union Movement Badge: Claymore I am sorry to say you are wrong. I should know since I belonged to the branch that had them made. They were made in 1981 by 2 brothers who were trying to launch a U.M branch. It never numbered more than 10 people and died out by 1984. The badges were made by a local company and about 300 were made at a cost of GBP 175 - a lot of money in those days. About half were sold in the mid 1980's at U.M/Action Society/FOM get togethers and the other half were bought by myself so that they could be sold through the website.

Armbands: Made for 'Action' paper sellers at the same time. They have a 'Abbey Supplies 1984' stamp inside. The one shown on this page is a home made one, which turn up quite often and is certainly genuine. WWR ones are made up the same as the originals but are elasticated as opposed to the 2 press studs.

Belts: The picture on our website is wrong and will be replaced. Ours are correct right down to the adjuster buckle on the side. This type of belt didnt make an appearance until 1938 and was made by pulling the 'fasces' emblem off and adding the 1 1/2 inch flash emblem. You can tell ours by looking at the number on the back of the belt place. It starts at 01 and finishes at 0350. Other than that you cannot tell one apart from the original. Incidently the adjustor was made of 'german silver' on the originals and we had them recreated by the same process.

Shirts: We sell them infrequently but they are made of the same cloth as the original. You can tell ours by the fact that we used 'ARP' buttons on ours which although look like the originals have a MOD upright arrow on the back! They usual show up with a yellow flash or propoganda colors. Look in the collar if it does have the size label in then you should check the buttons.

In closing we tell every one that we sell reproductions hence my long post here.
Relics
United States

Kristian's Badge!!

Postby Relics on 28 Feb 2005 18:33

Thats nice. We can make those too but I try to avoid them since they never sell well. I have one in my collection and I think they are much nicer than the post war badges!
Relics
United States

PreviousNext

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria