Chinese ships Saluting the founding of the Empire of Japan.

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Jerry Asher

Chinese ships Saluting the founding of the Empire of Japan.

Post by Jerry Asher » 03 Sep 2014, 03:14

I have encountered several anecdotal statements regardig Chinese naval ships, dressing up in salute to the founding of the Empire of Japan on February 11, 1932--in the midst of what is called the Jan. 28th Incident in China and the 1st Shanghai Incident in Japan. Apparently this has to do with international naval protocol of that time--and I may not have the proper vocabulary. Apparently this has to do with flaying flags from yardarms. The commentators--English language American and British, found this amazing as, on land the SNLF and the 24th Army Brigade of Japan were engaged with Chinese Army units. The ships would have had to have been along the Huangpu, Wusung or Shanghai, or Nanjing on the Yangzi. I recall another anecdote, where Chinese naval officers tried to resign rather than carry out the insstructions. Can anyone nail down the actual ships at Wusung, Shanghai or Nanjing. I assume there would have been some kind of Japanese acknowledgement-can anyone broaden this view. At Shanghai the Japanese Izumo, Ataka, Tokiwa and Oi as well as destroyers would have been present. At Nanjing the Tenryu, Tshushima and Hirado plus destroyers. I love putting this puzzle together. Many thanks in advance.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”