Battle For Lanfeng

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
sgtscott658

Battle For Lanfeng

Post by sgtscott658 » 30 Oct 2012, 00:47

Hi-

Are there any other sources other then wiki that have detailed battle reports on Lanfeng in 1938? What I'm looking for is how long was the Battle for this village, did it have a railway system running through it? Types of equipment used by both sides and so on.

Any info would be awesome.

Scott

zoboe

Re: Battle For Lanfeng

Post by zoboe » 30 Oct 2012, 15:43

Hi Scott,
For general information, you may have a look here (please kindly disregard the absurd use of tank photo) -
http://baike.baidu.com/view/1231097.htm

To my knowledge, this battle also worths noting about Chinese armored troop. This was the second time of Chinese armored troop (a small part of newly established 200th Division) attacking the IJA (the first time was 1937 Shanghai), and the very first time of field combat (unlike street fight in Shanghai), and the very first time of using CV35 and T-26. Unfortunately, the armored attack failed because of poor coordination with infantry and artillery. The infantry was too poor in physical strength to follow tanks, and after the tanks drove back, the infantry did not hold the new forward positions but retreated as well. The artillery in rear did not adjust aims in time. The Chinese Air Force did not offer any significant support to the front line combat.

On the Chinese side, there were army brochures (classified at that time) written by commanding officers about lessons from this battle, including tactical and technical aspects of armor use.

For IJA, it was their first time to capture CV35 and T-26.

cnd4747

Re: Battle For Lanfeng

Post by cnd4747 » 16 Apr 2014, 21:55

Based off of some quick research, I think it lasted 4 days, starting on 16 May 1938, and ending on 19 May 1938.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”