Chinese decoration ceremony

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
keith A

Chinese decoration ceremony

Post by keith A » 07 Jun 2013, 16:45

Does anyone know when this event was, the soldiers name and what medal he is receiving?

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/405878-6/q+_3_

regards

Keith

zhangyawei

Re: Chinese decoration ceremony

Post by zhangyawei » 01 Jul 2014, 13:30

Hi, keith. I've find two different illustrations.
A American officer decorated the soldier a award.jpg
A American officer decorated the soldier a award.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 776 times
1. The Chinese Expeditionary Force(中国远征军) website says that this photo was taken in Burmma, 1943. An American officer decorated the soldier a award.
http://www.yuanzhengjun.cn/yzj/photo/426.html

2. This spanish website said that the photo was taken in Oct 1944 in Burma.
http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/china/chim1.htm

None of them told the soldiers name and the medal he is receiving.

regards
zhang
Last edited by zhangyawei on 02 Jul 2014, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

keith A

Post by keith A » 01 Jul 2014, 14:08

thanks Zhang. I saw in an old newspaper that this soldier is receiving the Silver Star, but again no name ;-(

best regards

Keith

ymzxdh

Post by ymzxdh » 22 Jul 2014, 13:34

It is quite common that you can find little to no information about a Chinese soldier at that time. Because Chinese military didn't have a effective documentation system until late 20th century. Plus, the Chinese Civil War and Cultural Revolution destroyed many precious archives about ROC(Taiwan)

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 23 Jul 2014, 05:32

ymzxdh wrote:It is quite common that you can find little to no information about a Chinese soldier at that time. Because Chinese military didn't have a effective documentation system until late 20th century. Plus, the Chinese Civil War and Cultural Revolution destroyed many precious archives about ROC(Taiwan)
While these are good points in many situations, I'm not sure they apply here. The soldier in the photo appears to be receiving the decoration from an American officer (General Stilwell himself?), so the record of the soldier's identity should be in U.S. archives. However, there no easy way on-line that I've been able to find to search Silver Star awards (assuming that's even the correct award!) on-line by the unit of the recipient. That said, this site lists many of the recipients alphabetically (http://www.homeofheroes.com/members/04_ ... index.html).

ymzxdh

Post by ymzxdh » 23 Jul 2014, 06:28

I used several image search engines and found no information regarding the identity of this soldier, if the photo was shot by U.S force, then there must be some kind of index number left for us to look for. Based on the equipment and uniform of the soldiers, I believe they're part of the X force. Anyway, I'll try to contact Jianchuan Museum Cluster to see if they can provide some help.

keith A

Post by keith A » 23 Jul 2014, 17:45

The General is I think Dan Sultan. I saw the photo in CBI roundup but can't remember the date. I think it may have been late 1943. Since originally postin ti I have come across lots of accounts i.e. "Col. John Liu, Stilwell's liaison officer, then read the citations, awarding the Silver Stars to Capt. Ho Peng-chi, of Szecsuan; Capt. Lee Chi-yuan, of Chekiang, and Sgt. Ching Wun-fei, of Szecsuan.
Ho Peng-chi led his company in a determined and successful assault against an entrenched enemy position on March 28, 1942. Again, April 13, he commanded his company skillfully during a rear guard action against a greatly superior force, permitting the safe and orderly retreat of the main body." This was in September 1943.

regards

Keith

regards

Keith

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”