Chetnicks and Ustaša colaboration

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: Chetnicks and Ustaša colaboration

Post by G. Trifkovic » 09 Feb 2010, 21:50

Please stay on the topic (relations between Chetniks and NDH). German/Italian -Chetnik collaboration is already being discussed in a number of other threads.

Gaius

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 09 Feb 2010, 22:34

AGREEMENTS CONCLUDED BY CHETNIK DETACHMENTS WITH PAVELIC'S FORCES IN BOSNIA IN 1942

Varcar Vakuf, April 27, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Uros Drenovic Commander of "Kocic" Chetnik Detachment and Tode Mitrovic Political Representative of Chetnik organizations.
On the part of the Independent State of Croatia: Colonel Emil Rataj, Marko Jungic District Commissioner and Konstantin Urumovic, Representative of District Court. (AVII 2/2, 234).

Banja Luka, May 15, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Captain Vukasin Marcetic, Commander of "Manjaca" Chetnik Regiment, Jovan Misic, Commander of First Battalion and Petar Savanovic Commander of 4th Company of 1st Battalion of "Manjaca" Chetnik Regiment.
On the part of the ISC: Dr. Petar Gvozdic, Grand Zupan (Administrative and Political Official in charge of a region or Zupa) of Sana and Luka Region, Colonel Brozovic Commander of Banja Luka Regiment and Ustashi Regional Leader Beljan. (AVII, 3/2, 234).

Village of Lipac, May 22, 1942
On the Chetnik side: On behalf of the "Ozren" Chetnik detachment: Commander Cvjetin Todic, Chief of Staff Cvjetin Djuric and Staff Counsellor Branko Stakic; on behalf of "Trebava" Chetnik Detachment Commander Savo Bozic, Chief of Staff Petar Arnautovic and Staff Counsellor Djoko Milosevic.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. Milan Badovinac, Colonel Bogdan Majetic, Commander of IV Infantry Division and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 1/13, 235).

Banja Luka, May 23, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Lazo Tesanovic Cornmander of "Obilic" Chetnik Battalion, Cvetko Aleksic Deputy Commander of "Mrkonjic" Chetnik Battalion, Gostimir Stankovic Commander of 2nd Company of "Mrkonjic" Battalion and ex-member of Parliament Maksim Tesic.
On the part of the ISC: Dr. P. Gvozdic Grand Zupan of Sana and Luka Region, Colonel Bro-zovic Commander of Banja Luka Regiment and Ustashi Regional Leader Mirko Beljan. (AVII, 5/4, 235).

Village of Lopare,May 30, 1942
On the Chetnik side: On behalf of the "Majevica" Chetnik Group: Voivoda Radivoje Kerovic, Vukasin Subotic, Chief of Staff, Djuro Bizic Commander of "Drina" Battalion, Aco Mendunic Commander of Brcko Battalion, Ilija Gajic Commander of Mountain Battalion, Lieutenant Ivan Petrovic and Aide de Camp Mirko Djukanovic.
On the part of the ISC: On behalf of the Commander of the 3rd Infantrv Division, Colonel Grgic. (AVII, 7/2, 233).

Banja Luka, June 9, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Rade Radic Commander of "Borja" Chetnik Detachment.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. P. Gvozdic, Colonel Brozovic and Ustashi Regional Leader Mirko Beljan. (AVII, 5/8, 233).

Prnjavor, June 14, 1942
On the Chetnik side: On behalf of "Borja" Chetnik Detachment: Commander Rade Radic, Chief of Staff Jovo Kitic, Aide de Camp Mirko Jovanovic, Ljubomir Cakeljic, Teodor K. Arsenic and Milos Djujic.
On the part of the ISC: Lieut.Colonel Janko Jankovic Chief Regional Ustashi Leader, Captain D. Ceranic, Senior Lieutenant Coja Maks Juric and Ustashi District Leader Hrvoje Juric. (AVII, 2/8, 233).

Zenica June 14, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Golub Mitrovic Commander of Zenica Chetnik Detachment, Jovo Lakic Deputy Commander, Vojislav Balan Chief of Staff, Petar Malisa Assistant Chief of Staff and Jovan Ilicic Commander of 1st Chetnik Company.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr Milan Badovinac, Colonel Ante Prohaska and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 1/6, 232).

Village of Lopare June 15, 1942
On the Chetnik side, on behalf of the "Majevica" Chetnik group: Voivoda Radivoje Kerovic, Vukasin Subotic, Rade Tomincevic, Lieutenant Jeremija Lazic, Mirko Djukanovic, Ilija Galic and Petar Kerovic.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. Milan Badovinac, Colonel Emil Radl, Commander of 3rd Infantry Division, and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 12/2, 233)

Village of Vraci , August 31, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Plenipotentiary of Main Headquarters of the Bosnian Chetnik Detachments Lieutenant Mihailo Stakic, Golub Mitrovic, Commander of Zenica Chetnik detachment, Tanasic Risto, Petar Malisa, Veljko Vukovic, Milos Vidacak and Dusan Trbic.
On the part of the ISC: Captain Ivan Sepl, Commander of Zenica Domobran Garrison Eugen Arid District Prefect, Senior Lieutenant Dzemal Hadzic and Mayor of Zenica Ismet Salcinovic. (AVII, 616 232).

Village of Crnjelovo, October 12, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Junior Lieutenant Radivoje Banjicic Commander of Bijeljina Chetnik Battalion.
On the part of the ISC: Lieutenant Colonel Cviljusac, Ustashi Captain Tavcar and Lieutenant Riondic. (AVII, 42/2, 233).

Junak1929

Post by Junak1929 » 10 Feb 2010, 21:03

There was once a day where things like the latter would be completely wiped from the board and the user would be told to source his material !

Junak1929

Post by Junak1929 » 10 Feb 2010, 21:04

None of the photographs are even sourced, I've gotten warnings before on here for not putting a photo source!

----CREDITS FOR THE PHOTOS PROVIDED IN THE SPLIT THREAD----

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 10 Feb 2010, 23:07

There was once a day where things like the latter would be completely wiped from the board and the user would be told to source his material !
As far as I can see, Mr. Kiseli quoted the source on the agreements (AVII-Arhiva Vojno-istorijskog instituta); If you on the other hand have reasons to doubt the veracity of these documents, let them be known.

----EDITED BY THE MODERATOR----

Gaius

Didov

Post by Didov » 13 Feb 2010, 02:51

kiseli wrote:AGREEMENTS CONCLUDED BY CHETNIK DETACHMENTS WITH PAVELIC'S FORCES IN BOSNIA IN 1942

On the Chetnik side: Uros Drenovic Commander of "Kocic" Chetnik Detachment and Tode Mitrovic Political Representative of Chetnik organizations.
On the part of the Independent State of Croatia: Colonel Emil Rataj, Marko Jungic District Commissioner and Konstantin Urumovic, Representative of District Court. (AVII 2/2, 234).

Banja Luka, May 15, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Captain Vukasin Marcetic, Commander of "Manjaca" Chetnik Regiment, Jovan Misic, Commander of First Battalion and Petar Savanovic Commander of 4th Company of 1st Battalion of "Manjaca" Chetnik Regiment.
On the part of the ISC: Dr. Petar Gvozdic, Grand Zupan (Administrative and Political Official in charge of a region or Zupa) of Sana and Luka Region, Colonel Brozovic Commander of Banja Luka Regiment and Ustashi Regional Leader Beljan. (AVII, 3/2, 234).

On the Chetnik side: On behalf of the "Ozren" Chetnik detachment: Commander Cvjetin Todic, Chief of Staff Cvjetin Djuric and Staff Counsellor Branko Stakic; on behalf of "Trebava" Chetnik Detachment Commander Savo Bozic, Chief of Staff Petar Arnautovic and Staff Counsellor Djoko Milosevic.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. Milan Badovinac, Colonel Bogdan Majetic, Commander of IV Infantry Division and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 1/13, 235).

Banja Luka, May 23, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Lazo Tesanovic Cornmander of "Obilic" Chetnik Battalion, Cvetko Aleksic Deputy Commander of "Mrkonjic" Chetnik Battalion, Gostimir Stankovic Commander of 2nd Company of "Mrkonjic" Battalion and ex-member of Parliament Maksim Tesic.
On the part of the ISC: Dr. P. Gvozdic Grand Zupan of Sana and Luka Region, Colonel Bro-zovic Commander of Banja Luka Regiment and Ustashi Regional Leader Mirko Beljan. (AVII, 5/4, 235).

Village of Lopare,May 30, 1942
On the Chetnik side: On behalf of the "Majevica" Chetnik Group: Voivoda Radivoje Kerovic, Vukasin Subotic, Chief of Staff, Djuro Bizic Commander of "Drina" Battalion, Aco Mendunic Commander of Brcko Battalion, Ilija Gajic Commander of Mountain Battalion, Lieutenant Ivan Petrovic and Aide de Camp Mirko Djukanovic.
On the part of the ISC: On behalf of the Commander of the 3rd Infantrv Division, Colonel Grgic. (AVII, 7/2, 233).

Banja Luka, June 9, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Rade Radic Commander of "Borja" Chetnik Detachment.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. P. Gvozdic, Colonel Brozovic and Ustashi Regional Leader Mirko Beljan. (AVII, 5/8, 233).

Prnjavor, June 14, 1942
On the Chetnik side: On behalf of "Borja" Chetnik Detachment: Commander Rade Radic, Chief of Staff Jovo Kitic, Aide de Camp Mirko Jovanovic, Ljubomir Cakeljic, Teodor K. Arsenic and Milos Djujic.
On the part of the ISC: Lieut.Colonel Janko Jankovic Chief Regional Ustashi Leader, Captain D. Ceranic, Senior Lieutenant Coja Maks Juric and Ustashi District Leader Hrvoje Juric. (AVII, 2/8, 233).

Zenica June 14, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Golub Mitrovic Commander of Zenica Chetnik Detachment, Jovo Lakic Deputy Commander, Vojislav Balan Chief of Staff, Petar Malisa Assistant Chief of Staff and Jovan Ilicic Commander of 1st Chetnik Company.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr Milan Badovinac, Colonel Ante Prohaska and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 1/6, 232).

Village of Lopare June 15, 1942
On the Chetnik side, on behalf of the "Majevica" Chetnik group: Voivoda Radivoje Kerovic, Vukasin Subotic, Rade Tomincevic, Lieutenant Jeremija Lazic, Mirko Djukanovic, Ilija Galic and Petar Kerovic.
On the part of the ISC: Grand Zupan Dr. Milan Badovinac, Colonel Emil Radl, Commander of 3rd Infantry Division, and Ustashi Lieut. Colonel Ivan Sojat. (AVII, 12/2, 233)

Village of Vraci , August 31, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Plenipotentiary of Main Headquarters of the Bosnian Chetnik Detachments Lieutenant Mihailo Stakic, Golub Mitrovic, Commander of Zenica Chetnik detachment, Tanasic Risto, Petar Malisa, Veljko Vukovic, Milos Vidacak and Dusan Trbic.
On the part of the ISC: Captain Ivan Sepl, Commander of Zenica Domobran Garrison Eugen Arid District Prefect, Senior Lieutenant Dzemal Hadzic and Mayor of Zenica Ismet Salcinovic. (AVII, 616 232).

Village of Crnjelovo, October 12, 1942
On the Chetnik side: Junior Lieutenant Radivoje Banjicic Commander of Bijeljina Chetnik Battalion.
On the part of the ISC: Lieutenant Colonel Cviljusac, Ustashi Captain Tavcar and Lieutenant Riondic. (AVII, 42/2, 233).
What was the topic of those agreements. You only mentioned that they met but not what they were talking about. I would really like to know.

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 13 Feb 2010, 14:01

What was the topic of those agreements. You only mentioned that they met but not what they were talking about. I would really like to know.
In a nutshell the most important provisions stipulated by all agreements are as follows: The Chetnik detachments in Bosnia shall cease all hostilities against the armed forces and authorities of the Independent State of Croatia; the Chetnik detachments pledge themselves to wage armed struggle against the Partisans and shall obtain military and material assistance from the armed forces of the ISC to this end; the Chetniks recognize Hitler's puppet "Independent State of Croatia", as a sovereign state while proclaiming the Serbs in Bosnia subjects of the latter. The agreement provided the basis for large-scale joint action by Pavelic's and Chetnik forces in Bosnia, the course of which can be followed precisely from their copious mutual correspondence deposited in the Archives of the Institute for Military History. In the meantime, while carrying out the provisions of the treaties signed, the Chetnik detachments from Bosnia maintained continuous contact with the Headquarters of D. Mihailovic. The German Commands in the Independent State of Croatia were fully informed of these accords and approved of them. Moreover, the headquarters of the individual German units in the field came in touch with the Chetnik detachments and used them, in conjunction with Pavelic's forces, for armed combat against the Partisans.

Didov

Post by Didov » 14 Feb 2010, 11:04

We already discussed about Drenovic.
So Cvijetin Todić made a pakt with Ustasha.
Summer 1941. Ustasha captured Cvijetin Todić and tortured him for a month. He was released when his brother decided to give away hidden weapons. Later on he was giving orders for destroying German ammo warehouse in Doboj. In november he was constantly fighting against Germans and ustasha. After nagotiations with NDH Ozren got sort of autonomy, and Todic has formed new Chetnik unit. In april 1943. he was fighting with German army and Croat "Vrazja" unit.
I will not try to say that he or anyone else did not make any agreements with NDH but, like in the case of Uroš Drenovic and Rade Radic, Chetniks wanted to make sure they are attacked only from one side.
Branislav Lazić (head of Bosnian Chetnik propaganda) said that attacks from partisans forced them to releaf the pressure from Croatian side thus lowering the pressure against Serbian civilians and that hey were not happy signing the document in which they recognize Independent state of Croatia who by the way didnt want to recognize Serbia.
Agreements were made as a result of war between Chetniks and partisans. Until the spring of 1942. Chetniks and Partisans were together holding a line against Croats (Ustashas and Domobrans) but partisans decided it is their time to attack Chetniks as their ideological opponents.
Anyone will tell you that fighting on two or more fronts is a tactical disaster. Ustashas and Chetniks were allways in war and Chetniks were forced to make a truce. In their demands Chetniks were demanding from NDH for them to stop sending Serbs to Jasenovac camps. In your reply that was not clearly said. As we can see from history of WWII Ustasha regime never stopped killing Serbs in NDH and I really cant say if the pressure from NDH government ever stopped against Serbian people.

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 14 Feb 2010, 13:15

Anyone will tell you that fighting on two or more fronts is a tactical disaster. Ustashas and Chetniks were allways in war and Chetniks were forced to make a truce. In their demands Chetniks were demanding from NDH for them to stop sending Serbs to Jasenovac camps. In your reply that was not clearly said. As we can see from history of WWII Ustasha regime never stopped killing Serbs in NDH and I really cant say if the pressure from NDH government ever stopped against Serbian people.
chetniks did'n demand anything.I said this very clearly, and I'll repeat:
The Chetnik detachments in Bosnia shall cease all hostilities against the armed forces and authorities of the Independent State of Croatia; the Chetnik detachments pledge themselves to wage armed struggle against the Partisans and shall obtain military and material assistance from the armed forces of the ISC to this end; the Chetniks recognize Hitler's puppet "Independent State of Croatia", as a sovereign state while proclaiming the Serbs in Bosnia subjects of the latter
NEZAVISNA DRŽAVA HRVATSKA
GLAVNI STAN POGLAVNIKA
GSP. Br. 1070-1942.
Zagreb, 30. lipnja 1942.
MINISTARSTVU UDRUŽBE
Do sada je Glavni stan Poglavnika preko ovoga povjerenstva vodio pregovore sa
sliedećim četničkim grupama:
1. Grupa Ozrenskih četnika, sastojeći se iz Ozrenskog i Trebavskog odreda-(na području
Velike župe Usora i Soli te Posavje).
2. Grupa Majevičkih četnika (na području Velike župe Usora i Soli, te Posavje) i
3. Grupa Zeničkih četnika-Zenički četnički odred-(na području Velike župe Lašva i
Glaž).
Osim toga po opunomoćenicima vodjeni su pregovori sa četnicima na području velikih
župa Sana i Luka, te Pliva i Rama, zasjecajući i područja velikih župa Livac i Zapolje, te
Posavje.
Svi pregovori, osim onih pod točkom 2. uspjeli su i zapisnički je utvrdjeno, da
četnici priznaju vrhovničtvo Nezavisne Države Hrvatske i kao njeni državljani
izražavaju odanost i lojalnost njenom Poglavaru-Poglavniku i privrženost
Nezavisnoj Državi Hrvatskoj, te da prekidaju neprijateljstva prema vojnim i
građanskim oblastima Nezavisne Države Hrvatske i obavezuju se u svakom pravcu
pomagati državne oblasti u sredjivanju obćih prilika na cielom dielu Hrvatskog
državnog područja, te im u tu svrhu pružati svaku pomoć.
U ostalim podrobnostima ugovarajuće strane sporazumile su se u sliedećem:
a) dok se organiziraju obćinska poglavarstva samoupravnu vlast na dotičnom području
mogu vršiti zapoviednici četničkih odreda, odnosno po njima imenovane obćinske vlasti,
no pod kontrolom vlasti Nezavisne Države Hrvatske.
b) dok postoji opasnost od partizanskih oružanih bandi, četničke postrojbe mogu
dobrovoljno surađivati sa hrvatskim oružanim snagama na suzbijanju i uništavanju
partizana, te u tu svrhu mogu zadržati oružje pod kontrolom hrvatskih vojnih vlasti.
c) zapoviednici četničkih postrojbi moraju se obvezati da će u što kraćem roku, a najdalje
za mjesec dana, dostaviti nadležnom zapoviedniku divizije izkaz svojih postrijbi (ljudstva
i naoružanja) sa podatcima navedenim u dva obrasca, koja su im u tu svrhu predložena.
d) svaki onaj, koji se zatekne sa oružjem, a nije naveden u izkazima ima se smatrati za
obje strane kao odmetnik
e) kad prestane potreba za držanje oružja kod četničkih postrojba ove će ge predati uz
nagradu hrvatskim državnim vlastima koje će nagradu odrediti
f) hrvatske državne vlasti izdavat će četničkim postrojbama streljivo u koliko to situacija
bude zahtjevala
g) četnici, koji budu ranjeni u borbi s partizanima mogu se liečiti u bolnicama i
ambulantama, kao i ostali pripadnici oružane snage Nezavisne Države Hrvatske
h) pripadnicima četničkih postrojbi mogu se dati nagrade i odlikovanja u koliko se
istaknu u borbi proti partizanima
i) udovicama i siročadi četnika, čiji su hranitelji pali u borbi proti partizana može se
dodieliti potpora od strane države u smislu postojećih zakonskih propisa, koji vriede za
sve državljane Nezavisne Države Hrvatske
j) žitelji dotičnog područja u pogledu prehrane uživaju ista prava kao i ostali državljani
k) obiteljima, čiji su hranitelji u njemačkom zarobljeništvu, a ne pripadaju partizanima,
isplaćuju se podpore u smislu zakonskih propisa, a mogu se izplaćivati mirovine i rente
radničkog osiguranja svima onima, koji na to imaju zakonsko pravo, a lojalni su građani
l) žiteljstvu dotičnog područja u koliko bude imalo preporuku od četničkih zapoviednika
može se dozvoliti zaposlenje na državnim i drugim javnim radovima
m) po preporuci četničkih zapoviednika mogu se vratiti svojim kućama one osobe, koje
se nalaze u logorima, u koliko tomu ne stoje na putu kakvi drugi važni zakonski razlozi
n) svim izbjeglicama dozvolit će se nesmetan povratak svojim kućama, u koliko se nalaze
u državi i koliko su stradale može im se dodieliti pomoć kao i svim ostalim državljanima
Nezavisne Države Hrvatske
o) svima se ima dozvoliti kretanje i izmjena dobara kao i ostalim građanima Nezavisne
Države Hrvatske u smislu postojećih propisa
p) konačno se može omogućiti izmjena još sada postojećih jugoslavenskih novčanica sa
dotičnog područja, a po izkazu koga će predložiti četnički zapoviednici.
Sve ovo odnosi se na pripadnika odnosno državljanina Nezavisne Države Hrvatske..
U koliko na tom području ima inozemaca, imaju zemlju ostaviti, a nesmetan odlazak
ima im se omogućiti.
Četničke postrojbe sudjelovat će dobrovoljno u suzbijanju i uništavanju
komunističko-boljševičkih bandi zajedno sa oružanom snagom Nezavisne Države
Hrvatske, pod obćom zapoviedi zapoviednika ove oružane snage, pri čemu će
zapoviednici četničkih postrojbi zapoviedati svojim postrojbama.
Četničke postrojbe mogu izvoditi samostalne potrebne akcije protiv partizana, no u
ovome će na vrieme izviestiti zapoviednike Hrvatske oružane snage.
Zapisnički su se obje strane obavezale, sve gore navedeno točno ispunjavati i sve
učiniti, da se obje strane sporazuma pridržavaju.
Val želje četnika za mirnim životom i pregovorima i dalje se osjeća, te se i dalje
sklapaju sporazumi.
Potrebno je da izvršni organi i svu dužnostnici na terenu budu obaviešteni o načinu
svoga djelovanja pri uvođenju primljenih obaveza u život, te je radi toga nužno izdati
podrobne upute na temelju obćih smjernica za sklapanja ugovora sa četnicima
(dostavljena od Glavnog stana Poglavnika sa Gsp. Br.1035-42.), da bi se ugovori de facto
i izvršivali.
Nadležni će, svaki u svom djelokrugu, zapoviedati i regulirati sva ona posebna
pitanja, koja spadaju u njihovu kompetenciju i dostaviti na izvršenje podređenim i onih
oblasti na području Velikih župa Bosne, Hercegovine i obalnog pojasa, koji za sada još
nisu obuhvaćene, da bi u danom slučaju svi državni organi, bez zatezanja, mogli točno
uredovati po svim pitanjima političko-socijalnog odnosno vojnog značenja.
Za točnost: Zapoviednik Glavnog stana Poglavnika:
General Prpić v. r. Vojskovođa Kvaternik v. r.
The first formal agreement between the Croatian state authorities and the Bosnian Chetniks was concluded on May 28, 1942, simultaneously and in one document with the Ozren Mountain and Trebava Mountain detachments in the village of Lipac, covering that portion of eastern Bosnia adjacent to the Bosna River and the Sarajevo-Brod railroad. For the text of the agreement of May 28, 1942, see Microcopy No. T-314, Roll 566, Frames 734-36. The agreement was amended on July 9, 1942, by a statement that its provisions applied also to the relations of the two Chetnik detachments with German and Italian forces in Croatian territory. Ibid., Frame 739. For a discussion of Chetnik collaboration with the authorities of the Independent State of Croatia in Bosnia see also Kacavenda, pp. 37-67, and Hurem, "The Collaboration Agreements Between the Authorities of the
Independent State of Croatia and Some Chetnik Detachments in Eastern Bosnia in 1942," pp. 294-325.
During the next three weeks three additional agreements were signed for areas of central and northwestern Bosnia, and then on January 16, 1943, an additional one for an area in eastern Bosnia. The most comprehensive agreement in regard to the area covered, forces involved, and the nature of provisions was the first agreement signed on May 28. By this agreement the commanders of the Ozren Mountain and Trebava Mountain detachments recognized the sovereignty of the Independent State of Croatia and expressed loyalty as its citizens to the state and its head; both Chetnik detachments were as of that day to discontinue any hostilities against the military and civilian authorities of the Croatian state; the Croatian authorities were to establish in these Chetnik areas regular administration, and the Chetnik detachments promised to help them in the normalization of general conditions. As long as the extraordinary conditions lasted the Chetnik chieftains were to exercise administrative authority in their areas under the supervision of the Independent State of Croatia. The main provision (Art. 5) of the agreement was as follows:
As long as there is danger from armed Partisan bands, the Chetnik formations will cooperate voluntarily with the Croatian military forces in fighting and destroying the Partisans and in these operations they will be under the overall command of Croatian armed forces. In these operations Chetnik commanders will be in command of their own detachments.
The Chetnik formations can engage in operations against the Partisans on their own, but this they have to report, on time, to the Croatian military commanders.
The necessary ammunition requirements would be supplied to the Chetnik forces by the Croatian military authorities. Chetniks who were wounded in operations against the Partisans would be cared for in Croatian military hospitals and the widows and orphans of Chetnik soldiers fallen in the struggle against the Partisans would be given government financial assistance comparable to that given to the widows and orphans of Croatian soldiers. If possible, the Croatian authorities would arrange the release and return to their homes of men who had been taken to concentration camps, but only upon the specific recommendation of Chetnik leaders (not, presumably, including Partisans or Partisan sympathizers). Until they returned, their families, if in need, would be given financial assistance. All refugees were to be permitted to return to their homes and if in need would be given state assistance comparable to that given other citizens of the Independent State of Croatia. The Serbs were to be allowed to engage in trade like other citizens.
As a sort of recapitulation of the agreements with the Bosnian Chetniks, the Chief Headquarters of the Poglavnik (that is, the head of the Independent State of Croatia) sent on June 30, 1942, under the signature of Marshal Kvaternik, a statement to the Ministry of Social Welfare (Ministarstvo udruzbe) summarizing the provisions of these agreements under twenty points, which generally correspond to the points enumerated above. Copies of the statement were to be sent to the welfare committees of the county courts which were in charge of deciding upon welfare payments made to families of Croatian soldiers entitled to them and which also made the decisions regarding the payments to the Chetnik families entitled to them under these agreements.
The Germans were in favor of these agreements for several reasons. First, they were directed against the Partisans who from the summer of 1941 were the chief German problem in Yugoslavia, including the portions of Bosnia under German control; second, the involvement of the Chetniks against the Partisans tended to reduce somewhat the number of German troops assigned to these areas; and finally, these agreements tended to contribute to the pacification of Bosnian areas, the northeast and northwest in particular, in which Germany had major economic interests (iron ore, timber, heavy chemicals, steel, and important railroad lines). A report of General Litters, the Commanding General of German Troops in Croatia, dated Nov. 18, 1942 (Microcopy No. T-S14, Roll 566, Frames 357-58), points out both military and economic positive effects of these agreements between the Croatian authorities and the Chetniks. On July 15, 1942, General Glaise even proposed to a Croatian general, Ivan Brozovic, at Banja Luka, that a central office be established in Zagreb for the implementation and supervision of these agreements.91 Nothing came of this proposal at that time because such an office would certainly have been an embarrassment to the Ustasha regime; but as will presently be shown, a central office was later put in charge of these agreements. There is no doubt, however, that the agreements covered the majority of Chetnik forces in Bosnia east of the Demarcation Line, because Glaise's report of November 16, 1942, to the Armed Forces Commander in Southeast Europe indicates that about ten thousand Bosnian Chetniks had live-and-let-live agreements with the Croatian government. A map prepared by the General Staff of the Croatian Armed Forces and dated January 17, 1943, classified the Chetniks in the territory of the Independent State of Croatia into three groups: Italian Chetniks concentrated in the area of Otocac in Lika, the area of Knin in northern Dalmatia, and in eastern Herzegovina; collaborating Chetniks centering in central and parts of eastern Bosnia near the Bosna River; and rebel Chetniks holding smaller pockets in northeastern Bosnia and the area east of Sarajevo.
In the meantime, on December 22, 1942, the Chief Headquarters of the Poglavnik informed the Croatian liaison officer with the German 718th Infantry Division of a directive issued on October 9, 1942, by the Directorate for Public Order and Security of the Ministry of the Interior relating to the negotiations and conclusion of any agreements between the Croatian military and civilian authorities and Chetnik detachments. This directive stated that no one could engage in either formal or informal discussions with the Chetniks without the approval of Department X of the Directorate. The principles to be followed in these discussions and agreements were as follows: (1) Chetniks who were strong opponents of Croatia were to be excluded from negotiations; (2) no negotiations were to be held with Chetnik leaders who were not born in or had not acquired citizenship in the territory of the Independent State of Croatia; (3) the military and civilian authorities of Croatia must be recognized; (4) hostile Chetnik elements must be disarmed; (5) when it proved necessary to allow Chetnik detachments to keep their arms in order to help maintain law and order, Croatian authorities must participate in that work and Chetnik units must inform the authorities about the number of their men and arms; and (6) in Italian-occupied zones, agreements between the Croatian authorities and the Chetniks could not be contrary to the Italian-Croatian agreement of June 19, 1942.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 14 Feb 2010, 14:54

Mr.Kiseli,

could you provide sources/credits for the text above?

Gaius

kiseli

Post by kiseli » 14 Feb 2010, 15:01

croatian text (NEZAVISNA DRŽAVA HRVATSKA GLAVNI STAN POGLAVNIKA GSP. Br. 1070-1942.
Zagreb, 30. lipnja 1942. MINISTARSTVU UDRUŽBE) is in Microscopy No. T-314,Roll 566,Frames 709-10, and in State Archive of Croatia in Zagreb.
english text is from different books , and my works , mainly Tomashevic"The Chetniks" page 228

Didov

Post by Didov » 14 Feb 2010, 20:38

Varcar Vakuf (Mrkonjic Grad), Banja Luka, Lipac (Doboj), Lopare, Prnjavor, Zjenica, Vraci, Crnjelovo
Is it true or false that :
Mrkonjic Grad, Banjaluka, Lipac, Lopare, Prnjavor, Zenica were all considered "serbian" towns/villages. Is this correct? Is it true that all of them were under direct command of NDH state and that all of them except Zenica are very close to todays border of Croatia?
We will now go trough history of some of this towns.
Mrkonjic grad and surrounding villages : Baraci, Gerzovo i Podgorije were attacked on Spetember 6. 1941. is it true that Ustaše took all mens aged 16-60 and killed 80 civilians and burn them that day?
Banja Luka ans surrounding villages : Drakulic. Sargovac, Motke, and Rakovac were attacked on February 7. 1942. and the result was 2.300 Serbians were killed by Ustasha soldiers.
Village Lipac and other close villages formed an uprising for liberation of Doboj. Is it true that Ustashe regime killed 150 Serbs because of that uprising in September 1941.
Prnjavor: is it true that this town was under German and Ustashe command since 16. April 1941. and that many citizens were sent to concentration camps?
We can also conclude that most / if not all, Serbian cities or villages mentioned here had similar faith under Ustasha regime.
I will remind the readers that all northern towns and villages were under strong influence of Ustasha regime and deep in NDH territory. I will also remind the readers that chetnik/partisan cooperation fighting Ustasha regime was broken and that Serbs in southern parts of Bosnia (NDH at the time) were left almost unprotected. Can we, from what was said, call this agreements collaboration or was it simple a result of a poor situation of all non-Croatian people in northern Bosnia (NDH at the time). Were those agreements honored? No. Did Ustasha regime stopped or released anyone from Jasenovac? No. Did NDH send ammo and guns to Chetniks? No. Were Chetniks in constant war against Ustasha? Yes.

Junak1929

Post by Junak1929 » 15 Feb 2010, 00:20

Did Ustasha regime stopped or released anyone from Jasenovac? No. Did NDH send ammo and guns to Chetniks? No. Were Chetniks in constant war against Ustasha? Yes.
Lots of people were constantly released from Jasenovac, people even went home under house arrest when they were sick so that they wouldn't get other inmates sick (to keep up production).

Were Chetniks in constant war against the Croatian Armed Forces. In a political stance - of course, they both had completely opposing goals. On the field though, there are many joint anti-partisan operations - chetnik side usually controlled by Germans (Battle for Kinin for example).

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 15 Feb 2010, 01:07

----------Post by "Junak1929" containing nothing more than personal remarks was deleted by the Moderator. Kindly refrain from such postings in the future. Thank You!----------

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 15 Feb 2010, 02:14

Lots of people were constantly released from Jasenovac, people even went home under house arrest when they were sick so that they wouldn't get other inmates sick (to keep up production).
Would you please provide a source for this claim?

Gaius

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”