German Diplomat Dr. Herbert Scholz in Hungary

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
tatner

German Diplomat Dr. Herbert Scholz in Hungary

Post by tatner » 12 May 2010, 23:57

For our Hungarian experts, I pose the request for information on a German diplomat assigned to Hungary at the end of the war. He is believed to have been in both the diplomatic service and the Gestapo serving with German Ambassador Martin Luther.

His name was Dr. Herbert Scholz, an economist and according to US newspapers, he was assigned to Hungary at the end of the war and was captured shortly after 1946. A web site indicates he recieved a medal for service in Hungary in 1944. From 1933-41 he was assigned to the United States.

Any information on this medal (what is for or represents) or the actions or conduct of the German Diplomatic Service during this time would be appreciated.

Here is the web information on the medal.

On this date:

1944.03.07.-
Dr. Herbert Scholz német követségi tanácsos kitüntetése (KM)

Dr. Herbert Scholz, the German Embassy advised Medal (KM)

Source:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... r:lang_1hu

http://www.arcanum.hu/mol/lpext.dll/MT/ ... plates&2.0

I am also interested if Scholz and Luther had an involvement in "Ribbentrop worked in close co-operation with the SS for what turned out to be his last significant foreign policy move, Operation Panzerfaust, the coup that deposed Admiral Miklós Horthy, the Regent of Hungary, on 15 October 1944.[250] Horthy was deposed because he attempted to seek a separate peace with the Allies, and was replaced with Ferenc Szálasi, who resumed the deportation of Hungarian Jews in co-operation with the SS and the Auswärtige Amt that Horthy had halted in July 1944."

Additional information on my search for Dr. HW Scholz, diplomat, can be found at:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=165588

michael mills

Re: German Diplomat Dr. Herbert Scholz in Hungary

Post by michael mills » 28 Oct 2010, 06:47

He is believed to have been in both the diplomatic service and the Gestapo serving with German Ambassador Martin Luther.
Huh? Do you mean Ambassador Veesenmeyer?

Martin Luther was never an ambassador. He was the head of Referat Deutschland, the part of the German Foreign Office that worked with the RSHA on organising deportations of Jews. By the time of the German occupation of Hungary in 1944, Luther was already immured in Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, where he had been sent for trying, unsuccessfully, to overthrow Ribbentrop.

Suggest you get your historical facts right first, and then ask for further information.

tatner

Re: German Diplomat Dr. Herbert Scholz in Hungary

Post by tatner » 28 Oct 2010, 12:01

Thanks for the correction.

The comment should have said he worked with Ambassador Hans Luther (1936-40) when he was in the Gestapo and in the diplomatic service when in the United States, not Martin Luther. Wrong Luther listed.

The question I am interested in relates to Dr. H.Scholz's service when in Hungary and what happened to him during the war and afterward.

A internet posting seems to indicate he was on a board of directors of a chemical company in the late 60's, which might make sense since he was an economist and his father in law was Nuremberg War criminal George von Schnitzler of the IG Farben Co.

My interest remains in Dr. Scholz and his wife Lisselotte von Schnitzler Scholz.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”