Both World Wars don't occur - political & ethnical effects?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Baltasar

Re: Both World Wars don't occur - political & ethnical effec

Post by Baltasar » 18 Mar 2014, 18:22

From what I remember reading, the German economy was still growing. In fact so much that availability of workforce started to become an issue. This led to several social reforms prior to WWI already and I assume that the development would've continued down that road.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 Mar 2014, 19:10

sunbury2 wrote:Well this forum would not exist and we wouldn't be able to discuss this subject :P
We would be on the 'Imperial History Forum, discussing WI there had been a "World War" in the 20th Century? The concensus would such a idea is only worthy of a Harry Turrtledove style novel. The whole idea of a bloody multinational war lasting several years and bankrupting all the major nations as wholly illogical. Something any sensible national leader would avoid.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 Mar 2014, 19:24

Baltasar wrote:From what I remember reading, the German economy was still growing. In fact so much that availability of workforce started to become an issue. This led to several social reforms prior to WWI already and I assume that the development would've continued down that road.
James A Pratt III wrote:Russia the country 's economy was booming and it was on it's way to being a economic superpower ect.
All the European, and American economies were steadily rising then. I suspect there would ahve been some sort of 'peak' during the 1920s and a subsequent 'adjustment' in the 1930s or 1940s as new technologies replaced the leaders of the 19th Century. ie automotive competing with railroads on a increasing scale. These periods where many new technologies or investment patterns emerge in a concentrated time period are disruptive in terms of business cash flow, investment returns, employment, and social order.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 25 Mar 2014, 22:48

On Franz Ferdinand there is a new bio of him and his wife Sophie "The Assassination of the Archduke" by Greg King. He is one of those might have beens in history.

Back to Russia many big companies back then found Russia pre WW I a good market for there goods. I know Singer Sewing Machines were popular in Russia and international harvester sold a lot of farm machinery there. There is a book these companies but I didn't write down the title. I post it when if I find it.

We must also not forget the Stolypin land reforms which were continued after his assassination. They gave the peasants land this is mentioned in most/all books of the late tsarist period including the ones I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. also see:
Nicholas and Alexandra Robert Massie
Sadly, the land reforms don't have a happy ending see the book "Harvest of Sorrow" Robert Conquest on what Stalin and co did.

On line at www.dtic.mil there is the book "The Effectiveness of Military institutions Volume 1 WW I which discusses the militaries of WW I and prewar ect.

One other book "Big Business in Russia" John A Grant which I haven't read but I believe should have some good information on the Russian economy ect.

Return to “What if”