What if France and England were connected?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
victor82

Re: What if France and England were connected?

Post by victor82 » 23 Mar 2014, 18:11

Cynical wrote:It's a very crazy question to think about, because it brings up so much new elements and impacts history so far beyond just WW2 and the schematics of the war. If the two were connected, the west would have been very powerful already, and I don't know that Hitler would have taken France. It would have required alot more manpower on the front and Hitler would probably have been so occupied with the French/British invasion, that as a result, operation Barbarossa was never commenced, so this brings up a whole new debate. I do believe that eventually Hitler would defeat France and the UK, with alot more cost. I think this would have taken him years longer.
That isn't the half of it.

French food would be awful. Bangers and mash. Scouse.

But someone like Churchill or DeGaulle would have run a unfied Franco/British state and the Great War might never have occurred.

Hitler never would have entered politics. He would have ended up a painter of great masterpieces, probably ending up with his own television show on Imperial Austrian Television on the 1950's with a popular paint-by-numbers show, where he could show off masterpieces like this....
Attachments
turtle-pirate1.jpg
turtle-pirate1.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 572 times

Cynical

Post by Cynical » 23 Mar 2014, 22:30

victor82 wrote:
Cynical wrote:It's a very crazy question to think about, because it brings up so much new elements and impacts history so far beyond just WW2 and the schematics of the war. If the two were connected, the west would have been very powerful already, and I don't know that Hitler would have taken France. It would have required alot more manpower on the front and Hitler would probably have been so occupied with the French/British invasion, that as a result, operation Barbarossa was never commenced, so this brings up a whole new debate. I do believe that eventually Hitler would defeat France and the UK, with alot more cost. I think this would have taken him years longer.
That isn't the half of it.

French food would be awful. Bangers and mash. Scouse.

But someone like Churchill or DeGaulle would have run a unfied Franco/British state and the Great War might never have occurred.

Hitler never would have entered politics. He would have ended up a painter of great masterpieces, probably ending up with his own television show on Imperial Austrian Television on the 1950's with a popular paint-by-numbers show, where he could show off masterpieces like this....
Just imagine how much the culture of that region would be impacted.

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 25 Mar 2014, 23:19

Creationists bring evidence that there was a landbridge, within historical times
http://creation.com/north-sea-megaflood

Lothar_1

Post by Lothar_1 » 08 Apr 2014, 14:09

The idea of having a connection between France and GB ist very funny and interesting:

1) having since ever a land (Doggerland?) between continantal Europe and GB, means:
- Total different history since the Romans, Saxones and Vikings walked to the britains...
- maybe complete differnt states in the midages, because costal borders were not existing...
- maybe an additional Kingdom on the ground of doggerland.

Too many open parameters for any realistic proposals.

2) 1930 GB and France have a lot of people out of work and decide to build a 2 km wide damm between Calais and Dover.
(not realistic, but a funny idea).
In this case abter defeating France in 1940 Hitler could have send his tanks to GB using this Damm/ bridge.

Comparing this with the OTL, I do not think, GB would have have had a better Army and Hitler could have occupied GB.

3) In 1933 suddenly there comes a Vulkany between Calais and Dover and builds a naturell bridge.

The result for the war might have been the same.
Would Hitler really build up his Navy, as not GB is no Island any more?

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 09 Apr 2014, 14:35

England becoming an island may have been much more recently thatn 450,000 years ago

Return to “What if”