Feasibility of Sea Lion and effects if Britain is Conquered

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
LWD

Re: Feasibility of Sea Lion and effects if Britain is Conque

Post by LWD » 23 Apr 2014, 16:51

My impression was that he was implying that the Picts were but that doesn't scan very well either does it?

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 23 Apr 2014, 21:07

Nah, they'd have sat around picting their noses...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

alltoes

Post by alltoes » 24 Apr 2014, 05:49

Phylo correct me if I am wrong. Hadrian built a wall due to the constant attacks from the picts. The Roman Empire during this time was very formidable. If they were that strong, why couldn't they conquer the whole of England? My point was to display how centuries before the strength and determination of the people of England flourished. England's military histories over the centuries is well documented and celebrated (even though we won our independence---my great X4 grandfather fought yours I am sure :)).
The other point I was making was public opinion and morale from the devastating losses virtually all of Europe felt in WW1. IMHO most countries and Europeans did not want war. What effect to morale would occur with an invasion of southern England? Even with a few pockets of German invaders holding for 2 months I am sure would have an effect.
Woop Woop

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 24 Apr 2014, 08:21

alltoes wrote:My point was to display how centuries before the strength and determination of the people of England flourished.
But you are actually implying you think that centuries later the strength and determination of the people of England had decayed irrecoverably: with most of Britain conquered by the Romans, the Picts kept attacking and did not think of surrender, but in 1940 the British are going to claim for surrender just because of a few isolated pockets of German troops holding their ground a pair of months (and that is a very generous estimate of their capacity for survival, IMHO)?

alltoes

Post by alltoes » 24 Apr 2014, 17:33

WOW. Interesting how my words are scrambled. First I gave a compliment to the fighting spirit and Military HISTORY of England. Waterloo, etc. is testament over the centuries. The second was to state the devastation of the previous WW. ALL of Europe felt its impact. Even today, Europe doesn't want to be a major player in war. Balkan wars and Syria are examples.
The third point was the potential morale of German troops on English soil. AND I didn't state it would force English surrender. In fact, I discussed how the Berlin knuckleheads would not attempt an agreement.
A question I relayed was if Germans held main English territory (islets not included) for a couple of months, what was the potential. The bombing of English cities only proved to PISS OFF the English and strengthen their resolve. Occupying territory may have created enough public outcry to force a truce, agreement, or some type of end of hostilities.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 24 Apr 2014, 22:56

Interesting how my words are scrambled.
Actually, I'm more concerned abut your history being scrambled :wink:
Phylo correct me if I am wrong. Hadrian built a wall due to the constant attacks from the picts. The Roman Empire during this time was very formidable. If they were that strong, why couldn't they conquer the whole of England?
The Roman Army...was not then nor is now ANYTHING to do with the "English"....who, still at that point being the Angles, Jutes and Saxons in Northern Germany etc. - hadn't even arrived in BRITANNIA yet.

What they did was advance MUCH further north, up to the line of the earlier Antonine Wall, a sod barrier between the Clyde and the Firth of Forth....then in classic Roman fashion, retreated BACK to to Hadrian's Wall when it was mostly completed. The Romans were aware that the correct was to defend a fixed line was to man it but patrol proactively in front of it, encouraging traders etc. I.E. create a buffer zone of pro-Roman "allies"in front of your position.
My point was to display how centuries before the strength and determination of the people of England flourished. England's military histories over the centuries is well documented and celebrated (even though we won our independence---my great X4 grandfather fought yours I am sure ).
Actually - some twenty years after your war of independence he was killed fighting the English at the Battle of Antrim. In 1798.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 28 Apr 2014, 15:10

An off-topic and insulting post from alltoes was removed by the moderator.

Return to “What if”