Hypothetical 1942 retreat to polish border

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Narvik

Hypothetical 1942 retreat to polish border

Post by Narvik » 01 May 2002, 18:11

Although I can't put my finger on any names, I have read that several German generals called on a full-scale withdrawal to the polish border after the casualties sustained in the winter. They reasoned that while the Red Army recooperated, they could turn the original border into an effective fortress and that Russia would sue for peace. At the very least supply lines would be shorter and less manpower would be tied down fighting partisans.
Given that one of the stated aims of Barbarossa was to destroy the Red Army in Europe(which was nearly accomplished), perhaps it wouldn't have been so scandalous to declare mission accomplished and return home.

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 01 May 2002, 19:02

Wouldn't the supplies of food and oil etc be much lower without the 1943 Ukrainian harvest? Why would Stalin sue for peace, when he had no more territory to win on it? I think that it might've been militarily sound, but economically disastrous and diplomatically futile.
(Doesn't this belong in the "What-if" room?)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 01 May 2002, 19:05

It is in the What if section, I moved it there before you wrote you reply but the "shadow" remains in the section where it was posted originally.

/Marcus

Rasputin17

Re: Return to Polish border

Post by Rasputin17 » 01 May 2002, 21:30

Hi

Hitler would have never approved of this. He even was against a retreat in 12/41 when the Germans were nearly overran by the russians.

Regards

Martin
Martin

mike mccann

Post by mike mccann » 07 May 2002, 06:35

You have to remember the palyers involved. At this point Hitler was drunk with sucesses in the West and would not heard of retreat, especially at this early stage. Stalin himself, also would not tolerate a peace especially after proving he could hold the Germans off and effectivly move them back. The brutal pograms by both side also strengthened the hatred and inevitable clash.

Futurist

Re: Hypothetical 1942 retreat to polish border

Post by Futurist » 18 Apr 2016, 07:58

Narvik wrote:Although I can't put my finger on any names, I have read that several German generals called on a full-scale withdrawal to the polish border after the casualties sustained in the winter. They reasoned that while the Red Army recooperated, they could turn the original border into an effective fortress and that Russia would sue for peace. At the very least supply lines would be shorter and less manpower would be tied down fighting partisans.
Given that one of the stated aims of Barbarossa was to destroy the Red Army in Europe(which was nearly accomplished), perhaps it wouldn't have been so scandalous to declare mission accomplished and return home.
This just wasn't going to happen. After all, such a move on Nazi Germany's part would have resulted in Nazi Germany being even more at the mercy of Britain's blockade (due to the lack of all of that Ukrainian grain) and in an even weaker position relative to the Soviet Union in terms of demographics (due to the fact that Stalin would have instantly once again been able to recruit all of that Ukrainian, Belarusian, et cetera manpower).

BDV

Re: Hypothetical 1942 retreat to polish border

Post by BDV » 26 Apr 2016, 03:46

Why would this be needed? A defensive line on the upper Don, lower Donets (denying the Donetsk coal Basin to the Soviets) was eminently defensible.

And much more to the East, the Narva-Peipus-Dniepr line is also quite defendable.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Return to “What if”