Amphibious Assault on Crete July 1941

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
BDV

Re: Amphibious Assault on Crete July 1941

Post by BDV » 01 Nov 2014, 15:30

Old_Fossil wrote:BDV, you really need to do a proper WI and lay out what has happened to cause the Axis to mount a July/August invasion of Crete. It makes a big difference if the FJ have been decimated taking Malta in January 1941 (or entirely wiped out in failing to take Malta or Crete). What is the state of the Italian Navy? Has it suffered casualties from a Malta operation? Did it abandon the FJ on Malta or suffer heavy casualties itself? Has Barbarosa been delayed? All these things matter.
You are right. This might have been a better fit for the Med subforum, as it's less of a WHIF, more of actual strategic option type of question.

Thing is, British&Co were committed to a large number of active theaters. So like in 1943, their ability to allocate resources to defense of Crete would have been severely hampered. The naval assets Axis could scrounge for a July attack on Crete far outweighed what they had for the Dodecanese Campaign, and a similar level of Air support, maybe slightly more - accounting for the Italians, would have been available for the Axis.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Leutnant Von Historian

Post by Leutnant Von Historian » 06 Nov 2014, 15:31

But the Axis had some good oportunities too. The Luftwafee had a good air superiority ( remember there is a lot of British ships hit during the evacuation ) while the U-Boat (if committed in a proportional force of course) at that time still had the advantage.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 06 Nov 2014, 21:02

Thing is, British&Co were committed to a large number of active theaters. So like in 1943, their ability to allocate resources to defense of Crete would have been severely hampered.
The problem historically at Crete wasn't not enough defenders...it was that there were in effect too many! 8O It was still "crowded" with partly-equiped units and stragglers from Greece that should have been taken on the Delta - to slim the OTL command down by 3-4,000 men to a smaller but better equiped force...whioch would have been supported by more, and better armed/trained locals.

I don't see where the extra Aaxis naval assets are going to come from; the Italians woweren't going to release anything more than they did for the May invasion, not under Cunningham's nose!

And where were the air assets to come from two and a half months later? Richthofen lost two-thirds of his aircraft only three days into the invasion, when they were transferred away to prepare for Barbarossa...and it's not as if they'll be release-able from Russia three months later...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

BDV

Post by BDV » 07 Nov 2014, 16:32

As to the objections:

1. I am confused where was RN in 1943 (how did the germans simply waltz in atop their landing barges), with no Regia Marina and with USN in the Med.

2. If air could be dispatched in 1943, it could surely be dispatched in 41. The shorted people (likely both Ostfront and Rommel) would have cried bloody murder, but tough luck, if Crete was important aircover would have had to be provided - or the operation would fail.

3. I am amiss what would have prevented the Italians from dispatching a motorboat and fast destroyer taskforce to the Dodecanese for the operation.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 07 Nov 2014, 19:38

1. I am confused where was RN in 1943 (how did the germans simply waltz in atop their landing barges), with no Regia Marina and with USN in the Med.
Still in effect licking its wounds from OTL Crete, losses off Malta. attempting to supply Tobruk,...and not being prepared to operate without A/ fighter cover or B/ being able to at least return to under fighter cover if not home port in daylight.

You see...
2. If air could be dispatched in 1943, it could surely be dispatched in 41. The shorted people (likely both Ostfront and Rommel) would have cried bloody murder, but tough luck, if Crete was important aircover would have had to be provided - or the operation would fail.
By 1943 the Germans had the Aegean and Crete..and Rhodes, etc...and controlled it with a selection of longer-range aircraft; why the Allies suffered in the Aegan was their relative lack of the longer-range aircraft that could operate in the Aegean FROM the Delta or North Africa or Cyprus. I say relative lack...because they were there - but that's where the politics of the U.S. position vs. the British/Commonwealth one on the Dodecanese campaign cut in.

It's one of those odd stretches of sea and islands that once you lost it you REALLY lost it...and once you had control of it you REALLY had control of it. Once you lost control of it you lost the airfields IN it, and had to operate at very long range.
3. I am amiss what would have prevented the Italians from dispatching a motorboat and fast destroyer taskforce to the Dodecanese for the operation.
1/ they didn't exactly do it for the OTLK invasion, did they???

2/ they sent some extra coastal assets after the two amphibious flotillas were turned back - but not very much. And certainly not before the RN had begun to be depleted by events off Crete.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 24 Nov 2014, 00:09

BDV wrote:I was wondering whether it was a realistic proposition for the Axis to attempt the attack on Crete with mostly/exclusively amphibious elements, with mixed Italo-German airsupport during the end of July-beginning of August time frame, which would allow for movement of the required amphibious assets to the area.
Hi, BDV - I am not sure what would have been the advantage for the Germans to wait with their assault on Crete. The operation was a tremendous success, in spite of the unlucky disposition, contrary to General Student's wishes, of the German FJ's - apart from the fact that the whole Greek adventure made some complications for Barbarossa. A delay would probably have resulted in even more.

With other words, if Barbarossa is not to be touched the possibility of a German success would only diminish. If Barbarossa was not a subject and the British in the meantime decided to increase its presence on the island it would only have increased the British losses in air and sea assets. Particularly with the increasing German presence in the Desert. PRK is arguing that the British knew that Rommel had reached his offensive limit - they could not know that - just my opinion. When the British started their involvement in Greece this hadn't even started. I suspect they would have reconsidered that operation if they had known. OTH, as on several other occasions, the British achieved their goal (provocation) in getting one more nation involved in their fight against the Axis and increase their general burden. That may have been more valuable than holding on to Crete.

Some items:

The Italians landed unopposed on the Eastern part of Crete before the British had withdrawn. They had already done their homework in connection with studies on the invasion of Malta. A delayed assault could have resulted in more Italian troops available for such a purpose.
Ultra was at hand even then, but didn't help much.
The Germans had bad luck, or planned badly, with their seaborne assault in that it was delayed and discovered in daylight. It was originally planned to reach Crete before daylight. Also, while one convoy was terribly mauled the other got away quite lightly in spite of the RN presence. But the Germans took the message.
Summer of 1941 the German production of MFP - Marinefährprame - had began in earnest. They were originally planned for the invasion of England - Operation Sea Lion - the first was commissioned in April 1941. Italian production in Palermo started in 1942 in connection with Operation Herkules - the planned invasion of Malta. These handy vessels were instead used for supplying the Desert forces and for hauling supplies along the African coast.

Finally, the Anzac leadership had grown critical to the way their troops were utilized by the British and wanted them out of that tight spot, their 9th division was already surrounded in Tobruk. This may have neutralized any reinforcements of the island.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book about Operation Sealion:
https://www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series on the Pacific War:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 18 Jan 2015, 16:47

fredleander wrote:Summer of 1941 the German production of MFP - Marinefährprame - had began in earnest. They were originally planned for the invasion of England - Operation Sea Lion - the first was commissioned in April 1941. Italian production in Palermo started in 1942 in connection with Operation Herkules - the planned invasion of Malta. These handy vessels were instead used for supplying the Desert forces and for hauling supplies along the African coast.
The first MFP were commissioned in Palermo in November 1941, and it had nothing to do with Operation Hercules. Good to see you keep spreading misinformation Fred.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 18 Jan 2015, 17:51

Urmel wrote:
fredleander wrote:Summer of 1941 the German production of MFP - Marinefährprame - had began in earnest. They were originally planned for the invasion of England - Operation Sea Lion - the first was commissioned in April 1941. Italian production in Palermo started in 1942 in connection with Operation Herkules - the planned invasion of Malta. These handy vessels were instead used for supplying the Desert forces and for hauling supplies along the African coast.
The first MFP were commissioned in Palermo in November 1941, and it had nothing to do with Operation Hercules. Good to see you keep spreading misinformation Fred.
That is odd, I had read that the first MZ (the Italian version of the MFP) was laid down in March 1942 and the entire order of 65 were completed by July of that year. Have I been lied to then ?
Alan

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 18 Jan 2015, 18:25

The Germans produced MFP for their own use in Palermo prior to that with eight commissioning in November 1941 (F146, F147, F148, F149, F150, F151, F152, and F160), and another two in the first week of December (F155 and F156). Purpose was supply of North Africa. The Regia Marina liked the concept so ordered them for their own use. They were so keen they asked for some to be brought down via the internal shipping lane network, but the Germans weren't sharing then.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 19 Jan 2015, 23:16

Alan, here's the potted history of the first MFPs in the Med.

http://rommelsriposte.com/2015/01/18/th ... -crusader/

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 20 Jan 2015, 12:24

I found this listing of the "launch" and "completion" dates for MZ. I think that you're miss using the "commissioned" that means that they were completed and accepted into service at that time rather than just being ordered.

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/italy/it_am_mz.htm
Alan

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 20 Jan 2015, 15:48

Sorry Alan, I don't understand your point. So let me clarify mine.

I am talking about MFPs (German, ordered and run by the Kriegsmarine). You are talking about MZ (Italian, ordered and run by the Regia Marina). Both were produced in Italy, at Cantieri Riuniti Navale in Palermo. Therefore, Italian production started in the second half of 1941, with the first vessels being launched/commissioned in November 1941 for use by the Kriegsmarine. Production for the Italian Navy started in 1942.

Regardless of that, I have seen no evidence that would suggest that the Italians ordered them specifically for Operation C3. Maybe they did, but if so it doesn't mention it in the relevant documents discussing this in the war diary of 2. L-Flotille.

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 01 Mar 2015, 13:46

Urmel wrote:[The first MFP were commissioned in Palermo in November 1941, and it had nothing to do with Operation Hercules..
I know, I didn't write Palermo. My input was general - on MFP's....! Others here have detailed your misreadings.
Urmel wrote:Good to see you keep spreading misinformation Fred.
No need for such slander.

Fred

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 01 Mar 2015, 15:33

fredleander wrote:
Urmel wrote:[The first MFP were commissioned in Palermo in November 1941, and it had nothing to do with Operation Hercules..
I know, I didn't write Palermo. My input was general - on MFP's....! Others here have detailed your misreadings.
Urmel wrote:Good to see you keep spreading misinformation Fred.
No need for such slander.

Fred
It's not slander, it's a fact.

There is no misreading on my part, and it is of course illustrative of your approach that instead of admitting your mistake, you keep claiming that those of us who actually do proper research 'misread'.

Italian production started in October 1941, based on orders made in early summer 1941. These were destined for the Kriegsmarine and for coastal supply missions in North Africa. Production for the Italian navy started in 1942.

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 01 Mar 2015, 17:26

Urmel wrote:Italian production started in October 1941, based on orders made in early summer 1941. These were destined for the Kriegsmarine and for coastal supply missions in North Africa. Production for the Italian navy started in 1942.
I didn't write anything about Italian production.

Fred

Return to “What if”