Military Development After a 1915 CP Victory?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
JAG13

Re: Military Development After a 1915 CP Victory?

Post by JAG13 » 16 Jun 2015, 04:34

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
JAG13 wrote:...

Japan invaded the German posessions in the Pacific, so unless Japan returns them in order to make peace, there would be a Pacific campaign for the KM. Kinda likely since Japan might believe itself capable of "Tsushimaing" the Germans, specially given their lack of bases...
That may be settled in the peace treaty. Either Japan returns the concession, or it is traded off for something else.
That is certainly a posibility, but I have my doubts, the Germans would have no base available to recoal (Indochina? DEI?), the Japanese might feel safe from the KM and/or capable of defeating them if they come given their success with the Russians. It would all depend on wether the "British" IJN or "Germanic" IJA hold most of the cards in the council at the time...
Not quite sure what the motivation for a beating up Italy would be?
Given its desertion form the CP, its blackmail, and the consequent resentment ot caused, it was a given even if Germany were to back down, AH would go it alone.
I kinda left this one open. If things go south fast enough Italy may sit the whole thing out. Italy procrastinated until the spring of 1915 & did not make a decision until late 1915, with a DoW in May. ...Or make supportive noise for the CP. "Hey good job putting those Frenches down, & remember we gotcher back." :D
:lol:

True, but the CPs had enough of them even before the DoW, the mere fact of them siting out and not joining with the CPs was seen as treachery. Conrad wanted war with Italy BEFORE 1914, so once Italy fails to support the victorious CPs I think the bill would have been presented.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 16 Jun 2015, 04:51

Another fun what if regards KM development of its air-launched wire-guided torpedo...

http://warnepieces.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... style.html

...or them taking a second look to the radar that was shown to them before WW1...

...or electric torpedoes.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 16 Jun 2015, 07:08

Carl Schwamberger wrote:Most of those seem reasonable. Not going to waste time on the lesser political & settlement details today. The key thing for Germany here is if the colonial empire is retained. If so then new construction of the Kriegsmarine will be oil fired ships. Coal cant compete in a global navy, & neither can the limited range & limited accommodation ships of the 1914 German fleet. OTL there was a post war naval construction race, and a arms treaty. Something similar seems likely, with German participation. If somehow Germany gives up pretentions to global colonies, then such a naval race is a lot less important. I still have to ask how likely are the German leaders to give up ambitions for overseas colonies?
Sorry I missed this.

I feel that those comments are usually overblown and exaggerated, space wise the crewmen in a Konig, for example, had slightly more space than the sailors in an Iron Duke, moreover, each German sailor would have his own locker to keep his belongings and the ship itself had air conditioning and central heating, luxuries unknown in the RN, for example.

What did make the ships cramped in WW1 was the extra personnel recruited for the ships, it may seem odd but I believe that since the ships not only ran on coal but on sweat as well additional stockers would be very useful, specially considering a) any KM sortie would be a short one making any discomfort short-lived, b) KM ships had a generous overload capacity allowing them to force the machinery way over its nominal power, and c) extra personnel would allow them to maintain those higher speeds for longer as well.

Range wise they were little different from contemporary RN ships.

Lets not forget KM ship did a couple cruises to South America prior to WW1 without a hitch, so the usual (British) critiques are likely just the need to compensate...

Re. subs, by early 1915 the Uboats had several high profile victories (7 ACs and 4 BBs) to boast but really no dip into trade warfare so, developments its likely to focus on military rather than commercial targets, maybe something along the lines of a fleet uboat like pretty much everyone else.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 06 Jul 2015, 02:31

Leaving aside the crew capacity & other details;
JAG13 wrote:...
Range wise they were little different from contemporary RN ships.

Lets not forget KM ship did a couple cruises to South America prior to WW1 without a hitch, so the usual (British) critiques are likely just the need to compensate...
The Russian fleet made it to the straits of Tushima on coal, steam ships traveled globally on coal, but that does not mean it was efficient as oil fuel. Beyond that comparison with the contemporary - 1914 British fleet are less relevant since the question is for development through the next decade. At this point I'm unconvinced Germany would not be better off with new oil fueled ships for its long distance endevors.
Re. subs, by early 1915 the Uboats had several high profile victories (7 ACs and 4 BBs) to boast but really no dip into trade warfare so, developments its likely to focus on military rather than commercial targets, maybe something along the lines of a fleet uboat like pretty much everyone else.
Agree completely there. Cruiser warfare or gruerre de course, or distant blockade, or trade warfare using submarines did emerge in 1915. But, with the war essentially over with early that year the idea wont be tested if it emerges at all.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 06 Jul 2015, 02:48

JAG13 wrote:Another fun what if regards KM development of its air-launched wire-guided torpedo...

http://warnepieces.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... style.html

...or them taking a second look to the radar that was shown to them before WW1...

...or electric torpedoes.
All sorts of ideas lightly pursued OTL are going to receive more attention in this scenario. Really unpredictable which specific items would be pursued. Since these Aireal Torpedos were tried in the Great War someone may try them without it. The vision of some army or other launching a fleet of these into the four winds is a bit fun.

Radar emerging a decade or two earlier is one of those things that can crawl off in multiple directions. I wonder what the radio technology of 1920-25 could have done with it?

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 08 Jul 2015, 01:48

Carl Schwamberger wrote: All sorts of ideas lightly pursued OTL are going to receive more attention in this scenario. Really unpredictable which specific items would be pursued. Since these Aireal Torpedos were tried in the Great War someone may try them without it. The vision of some army or other launching a fleet of these into the four winds is a bit fun.
Has a steampunk feel to it, hasnt it? :lol:
Radar emerging a decade or two earlier is one of those things that can crawl off in multiple directions. I wonder what the radio technology of 1920-25 could have done with it?
No clue, but they were already on the verge of getting range it would have had a major impact on night fighting doctrine.

JAG13

Post by JAG13 » 08 Jul 2015, 01:54

Carl Schwamberger wrote:Leaving aside the crew capacity & other details;

The Russian fleet made it to the straits of Tushima on coal, steam ships traveled globally on coal, but that does not mean it was efficient as oil fuel. Beyond that comparison with the contemporary - 1914 British fleet are less relevant since the question is for development through the next decade. At this point I'm unconvinced Germany would not be better off with new oil fueled ships for its long distance endevors.
Oh, indeed, coal was on its way out, the issue for Germany was oil or diesel.
Agree completely there. Cruiser warfare or gruerre de course, or distant blockade, or trade warfare using submarines did emerge in 1915. But, with the war essentially over with early that year the idea wont be tested if it emerges at all.
Given the small design differences between the WW1 and WW2 Uboats it would be interesting to see what the Germans could have developed had the chance.

Return to “What if”