Iran (Persia) Joins the Entente/Allies in World War I?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

Iran (Persia) Joins the Entente/Allies in World War I?

Post by Futurist » 14 Feb 2016, 11:10

What if Iran (Persia) would have entered World War I on the side of the Entente/Allies (due to its rivalry with the Ottoman Empire and due to its hope that Britain and/or Russia will become friendlier to Iran as a result of this)?

How much would Iran's (Persia's) entry into the war on the Entente/Allies side have helped the Entente/Allies? Also, exactly which territories, if any, would Iran (Persia) have received after the Entente/Allies win World War I?

Any thoughts on this?

Also, it appears that having Iran (Persia) enter World War I on the side of the Allies was a very real possibility, as stated on pages 283-284 of this book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=6k5Hz ... &q&f=false

Futurist

Re: Iran (Persia) Joins the Entente/Allies in World War I?

Post by Futurist » 05 Mar 2016, 11:19

Anyone?

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 05 Mar 2016, 18:17

I don't think Iran/Persia entering the war on the Allied side would have done the Allies much good. The country was a failed state to put it mildly.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 18 Apr 2016, 07:49

James A Pratt III wrote:I don't think Iran/Persia entering the war on the Allied side would have done the Allies much good. The country was a failed state to put it mildly.
Couldn't Iran/Persia have acquired some war spoils after the end of World War I in this scenario, though?

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 17 Jan 2024, 18:48

Futurist wrote:
05 Mar 2016, 11:19
Anyone?
Iran's Qajar rulers would have fought a war with the Ottoman Turks in Anatolia in early 1915 in the event of the Ottoman Empire making preparations for the Armenian and Assyrian Genocides, and they would have sent mercenaries to arm Shi'ite Arabs in present-day Iraq and free Mesopotamia from Ottoman control.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 17 Jan 2024, 19:12

Persia did not avoid the First World War, The war came to them. The British decision to convert their navy to oil fuel raised the strategic importance of oil extracted by the Anglo-Persian Oil Company - now known as BP. The British occupied South Persia and raised the South Persia Rifles to defend it.

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 21 Jan 2024, 16:53

and the Russian Army intervened also in Persia,
even before WWI there were Russian cadres who trained a Cossak Brigade of the Persian Army raised in 1879
RussesPerse.jpg
RussesPersebis.jpg

Return to “What if”