How Does a *Non-Anti-Semitic* Nazi Germany Deal With Food Shortages During World War II?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

How Does a *Non-Anti-Semitic* Nazi Germany Deal With Food Shortages During World War II?

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 06:49

If I remember correctly, Michael Mills has previously argued here that a part of the reason as to why exactly the Nazis committed the Holocaust was because they feared the possibility of food shortages (as in World War I) and didn't want to "waste" food on European Jews.

Thus, my question here is this--how exactly would a non-anti-Semitic Nazi Germany deal with food shortages during World War II?

Indeed, any thoughts on this?

Also, as for how exactly Nazi Germany wouldn't be anti-Semitic in this scenario, well, let's have Adolf Hitler hit his head extremely hard on some object in the late 1910s or early 1920s and come to the accurate conclusion that not all Jews are bad/Communists and that many Jews are actually German patriots and/or pro-German and thus are potential allies of the Nazi Party.

BDV

Re: How Does a *Non-Anti-Semitic* Nazi Germany Deal With Food Shortages During World War II?

Post by BDV » 29 Apr 2016, 12:09

A non antisemitic Germany would likely had suffered no major food shortage in WWII.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

Futurist

Re: How Does a *Non-Anti-Semitic* Nazi Germany Deal With Food Shortages During World War II?

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 16:26

BDV wrote:A non antisemitic Germany would likely had suffered no major food shortage in WWII.
What about the British blockade of Nazi Germany, though?

BDV

Post by BDV » 29 Apr 2016, 17:03

Futurist wrote:What about the British blockade of Nazi Germany, though?

Would not amount to a hill of beans food wise.

Unless you consider a banana shortage relevant. Even citrics would be available from Sicilian, Spanish, or Turkish orchards.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Apr 2016, 17:22

Are we talking just Nazi Germany or all of occupied Europe?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 21:21

BDV wrote:
Futurist wrote:What about the British blockade of Nazi Germany, though?

Would not amount to a hill of beans food wise.

Unless you consider a banana shortage relevant. Even citrics would be available from Sicilian, Spanish, or Turkish orchards.
Out of curiosity--are you aware of the starvation that occurred in Germany as a result of the British blockade of Germany during World War I?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 21:21

OpanaPointer wrote:Are we talking just Nazi Germany or all of occupied Europe?
We are talking about all of Nazi-occupied (as opposed to Italian-occupied, Hungarian-occupied, et cetera) Europe here.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Apr 2016, 22:10

Thanks. I don't see things changing that much. The RN wasn't going to allow aid to Germany to cross the lines they had set. The US wouldn't have fought the RN to get food into Europe, the presumption that it would have benefited the Axis was too strongly held in the States.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

BDV

Post by BDV » 29 Apr 2016, 22:11

Futurist wrote: Out of curiosity--are you aware of the starvation that occurred in Germany as a result of the British blockade of Germany during World War I?
There were some other, somewhat significant, differences.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 22:17

BDV wrote:
Futurist wrote: Out of curiosity--are you aware of the starvation that occurred in Germany as a result of the British blockade of Germany during World War I?
Care to please elaborate on this?

BDV

Post by BDV » 29 Apr 2016, 22:26

Futurist wrote:
BDV wrote:
"Out of curiosity"

"care to elaborate"

I think we got on the wrong foot, here.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 22:28

OpanaPointer wrote:Thanks. I don't see things changing that much. The RN wasn't going to allow aid to Germany to cross the lines they had set. The US wouldn't have fought the RN to get food into Europe, the presumption that it would have benefited the Axis was too strongly held in the States.
OK; this certainly makes sense.

However, how exactly do the Nazis deal with any food shortages that might develop as a result of the Nazis having 6 million additional Jewish mouths to feed in this scenario?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 22:28

BDV wrote:
Futurist wrote:
BDV wrote:
"Out of curiosity"

"care to elaborate"

I think we got on the wrong foot, here.
Frankly, I'm simply wondering as to exactly which differences you are talking about here.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Apr 2016, 22:49

Futurist wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Thanks. I don't see things changing that much. The RN wasn't going to allow aid to Germany to cross the lines they had set. The US wouldn't have fought the RN to get food into Europe, the presumption that it would have benefited the Axis was too strongly held in the States.

However, how exactly do the Nazis deal with any food shortages that might develop as a result of the Nazis having 6 million additional Jewish mouths to feed in this scenario?

They wouldn't bother. See the starvation in Greece for an example.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 29 Apr 2016, 22:52

OpanaPointer wrote:
Futurist wrote:

They wouldn't bother. See the starvation in Greece for an example.
Weren't the Nazis afraid that large-scale starvation in Germany during World War II could cause the German people to rebel against their government (as was previously the case in 1918), though?

Return to “What if”