A Cold War Between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after a Central Powers WWI Victory?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

A Cold War Between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after a Central Powers WWI Victory?

Post by Futurist » 13 May 2016, 08:12

In your honest opinion, do you think that there would have been good odds of a Cold War occurring between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after World War I in the event of a Central Powers victory in World War I?

Any thoughts on this?

As for me, I would say No, I don't think that there would have been good odds of a Cold War occurring between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers in this scenario. Why? Because Imperial Germany (the most powerful country among the Central Powers) was certainly much more democratic and open than totalitarian regimes such as Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union were in real life. In turn, this, combined with the lesser ideological differences between autocratic Imperial Germany and the Anglo-Americans (in comparison to the ideological differences between the totalitarian Soviet Union or even the totalitarian Nazi Germany and the Anglo-Americans in real life), would have probably ensured that tensions between the Central Powers (especially Imperial Germany) and the Anglo-Americans wouldn't have reached Cold War-style levels after World War I in the event of a Central Powers victory in World War I.

Futurist

Re: A Cold War Between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after a Central Powers WWI Victory?

Post by Futurist » 17 May 2016, 17:43

Futurist wrote:In your honest opinion, do you think that there would have been good odds of a Cold War occurring between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after World War I in the event of a Central Powers victory in World War I?
Also, to clarify--you are the one who decides how exactly the Central Powers win World War I in this scenario.

Futurist

Re: A Cold War Between the Anglo-Americans and the Central Powers after a Central Powers WWI Victory?

Post by Futurist » 19 May 2016, 00:38

James A Pratt III wrote:I would say none.
Do you agree with my rationale here, though?

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 19 May 2016, 05:23

I think this also depends on when the Central Powers win. If it's a quick victory in 1914, I severely doubt a cold war ensues. The US wouldn't have been involved until 1917 at the earliest. A 1915 or 16 victory might have more repercussions, but I doubt other than an ongoing animosity between the French and Germans, that it would result in a real cold war.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 19 May 2016, 10:54

T. A. Gardner wrote:I think this also depends on when the Central Powers win. If it's a quick victory in 1914, I severely doubt a cold war ensues. The US wouldn't have been involved until 1917 at the earliest. A 1915 or 16 victory might have more repercussions, but I doubt other than an ongoing animosity between the French and Germans, that it would result in a real cold war.
Please keep in mind that a U.S. entry into World War I actually isn't essential for German-U.S. tensions to develop later on in this scenario, though.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 19 May 2016, 17:35

Futurist wrote:Please keep in mind that a U.S. entry into World War I actually isn't essential for German-U.S. tensions to develop later on in this scenario, though.
That still is time dependent. The longer the war goes on the more the US becomes coupled by trade and foreign debt to France and Britain. Their trade rose as Germany's plummeted. An early win would leave the US resuming trade as it had in pre-war. A late victory might give the US more reason to give Germany a cold shoulder.
The same goes with the U-boat campaign. The longer the war goes and the more US losses there are, the more the US is driven away from Germany.

All of that doesn't have the US entering the war.

Another consideration is if the Germans win early in a quick victory they retain their colonies overseas. A late war victory wouldn't be clear on this outcome. The Germans might cede these as part of a negotiated victory / peace or they might demand them back if they win outright. That might change the dynamic in the Pacific and particularly in China where Germany did in the 30's make a pretty big effort to professionalize the Chinese army.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 12 Jun 2016, 02:16

T. A. Gardner wrote:
Futurist wrote:Please keep in mind that a U.S. entry into World War I actually isn't essential for German-U.S. tensions to develop later on in this scenario, though.
That still is time dependent. The longer the war goes on the more the US becomes coupled by trade and foreign debt to France and Britain. Their trade rose as Germany's plummeted. An early win would leave the US resuming trade as it had in pre-war. A late victory might give the US more reason to give Germany a cold shoulder.
The same goes with the U-boat campaign. The longer the war goes and the more US losses there are, the more the US is driven away from Germany.

All of that doesn't have the US entering the war.

Another consideration is if the Germans win early in a quick victory they retain their colonies overseas. A late war victory wouldn't be clear on this outcome. The Germans might cede these as part of a negotiated victory / peace or they might demand them back if they win outright. That might change the dynamic in the Pacific and particularly in China where Germany did in the 30's make a pretty big effort to professionalize the Chinese army.
Good points, I suppose.

Cantankerous

Post by Cantankerous » 14 Jan 2024, 23:05

Before the Ottoman Empire's entry into World War I on Germany's side, a lot of Ottoman officials were pro-British. However, the Young Turk government cabinet founded by Enver, Jemal, and Talaat Pasha in 1913 raised alarms bells for the Armenians and Georgians by contemplating a Great Turkey which would see all Turkic peoples in Anatolia, the Caucasus, and Central Asia, so many Anglo-Americans would have felt sympathetic enough to the desire of the Armenians for self-determination to enter an emotional Cold War with Constantinople even if the Central Powers (excluding the Ottoman Empire) had won World War I.

Return to “What if”