What If The Nazis Had Invaded America in 1942

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
lordroel

Post by lordroel » 10 Jul 2016, 19:23

I run a small alternate history forum called Alternate Timelines Forum and one thing i like is to collect old alternate history scenarios, this is one of them called:

What If The Nazis Had Invaded America? Maps Reveal How Hitler Could Have Attacked The U.S. (As Imagined By 1942 Issue Of Life Magazine)

Option 1: The Nazis go straight for the East Coast with everything they have — submarines, bombers, and warships, delivering an assault up and down the east coast. Simultaneously, the Nazis pin down the Russians on the eastern front, allowing a rendez-vous with Japanese naval forces in the Indian Ocean. That Nazi-Imperial Japanese naval flotilla swoops around the north Pacific, and heads straight towards Los Angeles, attacking along the coast as it moves. Most frightening on this plan is the action of Nazi “Fifth Columnists” attacking from within the United States.

Option 2: is the much-discussed invasion by way of Gibraltar-Dakar-Natal-Trinidad, which President Roosevelt’s Good Neighbour policy has tried to defend against. It is based on combining the Jap, German, Italian and Vichy navies, freed by the capture of Gibraltar and Suez. They must fight the Allied fleets somewhere. Invasion pours up the Mississippi Valley.

Option 3: First Nazis join with Japanese ships in the Canary Islands, then they make an all out push for Norfolk, Virginia, to knock out the primary U.S. Naval base on the Atlantic. This would have opened the waters up for follow-on invasion forces (fifth column plays its traitorous role again).

Option 4: Island hopping. According to these plans, the Nazis would launch an assault on Norfolk, Virginia. First, the Germans would rendezvous with the 'Jap fleet' via the Azores, Madeira and Canaries.

Option 5: The Japanese fake an invasion of Hawaii, while Imperial forces take over the Panama Canal, slicing U.S. naval power in half. Japanese landings in South America are followed by an invasion that works its way up the west coast, once again to Los Angeles.

Option 6: Pearl Harbor revisited. This plan calls for a frontal attack on the West Coast via Pearl Harbor. The Japanese and Germans, supported by carriers, first land on the outer Hawaiian islands, set up air bases and close in on Oahu. More difficult is the big water jump to San Francisco.

BDV

Re: What If The Nazis Had Invaded America in 1942

Post by BDV » 10 Jul 2016, 22:48

I think that the same scenario like in Bolshevik Russia (and North Africa) plays out.

German tactical acumen gives way to rail-supported masproduction supplied (motivated) conscript armies.
Nobody expects the Fallschirm! Our chief weapon is surprise; surprise and fear; fear and surprise. Our 2 weapons are fear and surprise; and ruthless efficiency. Our *3* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency; and almost fanatical devotion

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 11 Jul 2016, 00:34

Where did all those ships come from, please?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

maltesefalcon

Post by maltesefalcon » 11 Jul 2016, 03:05

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 11 Jul 2016, 04:40

Cute maps. Life Magazine was never know for solid journalism.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 11 Jul 2016, 05:29

maltesefalcon wrote:http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... a+invasion

Thats just one.
Where did all the ships come from?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

lordroel

Post by lordroel » 11 Jul 2016, 05:49

OpanaPointer wrote:
maltesefalcon wrote:http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... a+invasion

Thats just one.
Where did all the ships come from?
I do not think even Life Magazine could provide a answer for that.

maltesefalcon

Post by maltesefalcon » 11 Jul 2016, 06:08

What just happened here?
I was trying to direct people to an already existing thread on this topic .

How did that stretch to quoting me on comments about ships I never made any reference to?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 11 Jul 2016, 13:08

maltesefalcon wrote:What just happened here?

How did that stretch to quoting me on comments about ships I never made any reference to?
Not everybody chases links.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

lordroel

Post by lordroel » 11 Jul 2016, 15:03

Well than you like these things also, the where also posted as part of the Life magazine article.

MarkN

Post by MarkN » 11 Jul 2016, 16:48

lordroel wrote:I run a small alternate history forum called Alternate Timelines Forum and one thing i like is to collect old alternate history scenarios, this is one of them called:

What If The Nazis Had Invaded America? Maps Reveal How Hitler Could Have Attacked The U.S. (As Imagined By 1942 Issue Of Life Magazine)
I guess one would have to discuss the rewriting of at least 2 decades of history BEFORE 1942 before you could start on what happens after this hypothetical scenario.

Remember, Hitler didn't wake up one morning and draw lots on which country he was going to invade and which population group he was to exterminate.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 11 Jul 2016, 17:56

Fully engaged on the US west coast, the Japanese are caught off guard and overrun by New Zealand and waves of mass produced Bob Semple tanks
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 11 Jul 2016, 19:31

Kingfish wrote:Fully engaged on the US west coast, the Japanese are caught off guard and overrun by New Zealand and waves of mass produced Bob Semple tanks
Edit: it appears the chart for Axis navies is incorrect as it shows the IJN Haruna as being sunk. While technically this is correct, it happened well after the sinking of Kido Butai.

BTW, IJN carrier "Koryu"???
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 11 Jul 2016, 22:43

Edit: it appears the chart for Axis navies is incorrect as it shows the IJN Haruna as being sunk. While technically this is correct, it happened well after the sinking of Kido Butai.
I suspect that the charts date from between January and March 1942, since Hermes, Cornwall and Dorsetshire, whose loss was publicly announced by 10 April, are shown as still being active. I believe that the USAAF and/or MacArthur's HQ issued a press release fairly early in the Philippines campaign erroneously claiming that B-17s had sunk a Japanese BB and that would be why Haruna is shown as having been sunk.

maltesefalcon

Post by maltesefalcon » 12 Jul 2016, 01:28

OpanaPointer wrote:
maltesefalcon wrote:What just happened here?

Not everybody chases links.
Fair enough, but I was actually focusing on the so-called quote attributed to me about ships that I never made....

Return to “What if”