von dem Borne....U-156.....Help!/Question?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
John G.
Host - Militaria sections

von dem Borne....U-156.....Help!/Question?

Post by John G. » 30 Nov 2008, 00:38

Can anyone help.....
A friend has a beautiful white top "Erel" Kriegsmarine "Field Grade" Visor hat with a "von dem Borne" name tag......all unquestionable. I have researched the name an come up with only two possibilities.....

Vizeadmiral Kurt von dem Borne (from when he was a Field grade rank- before Admiral) (was promoted to Vz. Adm. 7.7.44- just before retirement)....HELP: don't know promotion date for Konteradmiral......
or:
Lt. z. see Dietrich von dem Borne off U-156, lost leg when deckgun blew up....left in Vichy Hospital (POW after 44)....exchanged in late 1944. QUESTION: Was he promoted to "Field Grade" while in hospital/POW & release?.....
(that's 3 promotions....seems too many but I don't know.) I only have him listed as Lt. z. see......(Scallopped edge braid)

I have greatly appreviated both "von dem Borne"s stories.....but knowing if Dietrich was promoted to "Field Grade" (Single row of oak leaves) rank durning the war (durning captivity/after exchanged) would pretty much cinch things I think......

Much appreciated......thanks for any info.
John G.

John G.

Re: von dem Borne....U-156.....Help!/Question?

Post by John G. » 01 Dec 2008, 22:41

Hi all.....

I found where Dietrich von dem Borne (U-156) fought until 1976 ((Died 2005) to have his "Derelection of Duty" Charges overturned/reversed.....that he was "cold-shouldered"/black-balled by the KM......and he wanted to be awarded the Wound Badge for loosing his leg/foot......the OKM actually conducted tests on a similiar Deck Gun in March 1945!!!! (Gun didn't blow up w/cap on in several tests...just blew the plug out....) but no decision to overturn DoD charge before end of the war. The TRANSLATED document indicates von dem Borne's rank as "Lt. Commander"......but sometimes translation is "off" especially in confused ranking names.....also found document dated Jan. 23, 1945 where he signed his rank as Oberleutnant z. See......part of the same document that says "Lt. Commander"....

What I need to know is what was Dietrich von dem Borne's offical rank when the War ended?......where would I "look" or who should I ask......

Was he related to Vizeadmiral von dem Borne? His son maybe? (Would open other possibilities/might explain some things)......

This is NOT a resale ploy....I'm just trying to help a fellow collector nail down the highlites of a nice rare hat that probably won't change hands for many moons.....
Wouldn't be in my budget anyway....unfortunately
Anyone.......
John G.

Moltke d. J.

Post by Moltke d. J. » 07 Dec 2008, 02:39

Hi John,

I will check the 'Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels' during next workweek. Hopefully there will be some clues.

Frank

Moltke d. J.

Post by Moltke d. J. » 11 Dec 2008, 19:29

Hi John,

from GhdA 55(1973)

Kurt Gotthelf Kreuzwendedich, * Bromberg 24.11.1885, + (vermißt in russ. Gefangenschaft [missing in russian captivity] ... 9.9.1945 (für tot erklärt durch Beschluß d. Amtsger. Berlin-Tempelhof 12.12.1952 mit Wirkung vom 31.12.1945 [declared to be dead by court order], Vizeadmiral z.V., ErR d. JohO
his first son:
Dietrich Alfred Gotthelf Kreuzwendedich, * Berlin-Grunewald 18.12.1920, FregKpt.
Apparently there were no other Kriegsmarine officers in the family.
The entry was compiled by Kurt's wife, Ruth von dem Borne neé v. Lewinski :wink:

Hope this helps

Frank

John G.

Post by John G. » 12 Dec 2008, 00:35

Frank,
Thank you so very much.....since his rank is listed as Fregattenkaptain I'd say this visor hat probably did belong to Dietrich von dem Borne.....and he WAS the Admiral's son.....that explains alot! Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Hope I can oneday repay your efforts....
John G.

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 10 Sep 2014, 20:18

I found info that Kurt von dem Borne was sentenced to death and shot on 31 January 1946. Does anyone know more about his execution?
There are times in history when staying neutral means taking sides.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 11 Sep 2014, 10:36

I have a copy of the 1 Sep 1944 "Rangliste der Deutschen Kriegsmarine" - Dietrich-Alfred von Dem Borne was at that stage still an Oberleutnant zur See (having been promoted to that grade on 1 Jan 1943) beside his name is TU which indicated Torpedooffizier f. U-boote.

As an officer with a "disciplinary issue" hanging over him I would be very surprised if he was promoted KL before the end of the war. I don't know if he was fit to serve later and gain promotion with the Bundesmarine.

Return to “U-Boats”