U-boats in the Mississippi River?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
ChristopherPerrien

U-boats in the Mississippi River?

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 23 Jan 2007, 01:30

[Split from "Truth or Fiction?"]
Hexar wrote:The second story involves U-boats. I think it is a fact that U-boats operated very close to US shores on occasion. The story I was told was that a U-boat acutally entered the Mississippi River at New Orleans. I can't imagine a U-boat travelling very far up that particular river, but perhaps it was in the delta, near the Port of New Orleans? Myth?
There is no entrance to sea remotely close to New Orleans. New Orleans is more than 100 miles above the entrance to the sea and to try to navigate the river channel from N.O. to the Gulf in anything but broad daylight and/or having up-to-date charts and an experienced pilot for such a "deep" draft vessel would be a foolhardy and impossible thing to attempt. The entrance channels in the Mississippi River and the navigable channels through the "bayou", are too shallow for a submarine to travel other than being always on the surface. And besides these obvious facts, I see no reason for a U-boat attempting to do so.

The U-boats did operate in the Gulf of Mexico and as close as they could around the entrances to the Mississippi as it was a "target rich enviroment" but the shallow water of the Mississippi sound and the Gulf in these areas made this a very far distance.

söldner

Re: Truth of Fiction?

Post by söldner » 22 Dec 2009, 04:21

as a response to the story about the u boat in the mississippi river. i have also heard a story similar to this. and supposedly the navy scuttled a boat to block the route. this could be possible at night when the sub were running on the surface. plus, ive heard from a sailor that he had encountered a sub going up the river. Now, on the other hand, there was a sub, my great grandfather cant remember the number, that he and a few other of the older cajun locals were meeting with out in the gulf and traded with. he and many others i spoke with swear that the captain couldve passed for an american or cajun. it also turns out that the cptn lived and studied right there in new orleans and could tell just which island and river was which, and just where a boat would be coming out and when. another man that i spoke with said that he was on a merchant vessel that was sank three times by the same uboat. they were rounded up, helped into the rafts, and towed back close to either an island or in sight of land. whether this is the same captain, i dont know, but i think it just may be. opinions?

Ome_Joop

Post by Ome_Joop » 25 Jan 2010, 22:45

2nd story
on may 42 , U166 was attacked and destroyed by a USAF Grumman off Louisiana coasts ; in 2001 the wrecked submarine was localised and identified , 1 mile away was the wreck of cargo Robert E Lee torpedoed previously by U 166
(History Channel reported that event yesteday , in french television )

http://uboat.net/boats/u166.htm
A quote from 2 years ago but still interesting.

The U 166 was not sunken by the Coast Guard Grumman Widgeon but by USS Honesdale PC-566

http://www.pastfoundation.org/U166/WhiteandBoggs.htm

Yaldy50

Post by Yaldy50 » 26 Feb 2014, 13:28

Greetings all,

I used to sail on an ocean going tug out of New Orleans down the Mississippi River and out into the Gulf to Tampa, FL. I do not see or believe that there is any way that a Uboat actually entered the Mississippi River proper because there isn't much draft and the Uboat would have to be on the surface the entire time. Once in the river there would be no room to maneuver or dive plus contending with the strong current. As for New Orleans - that is almost 6-7 hours up river making good time.

There is no doubt that there were Uboats in the Gulf but not in the delta leading to the Mississippi River or in the river itself. Based on experience - I can't see how this is possible.

LWD

Post by LWD » 26 Feb 2014, 15:23

My impression is that the underwater topography in that area is subject to pretty significant variation over fairly short periods of time as well. If so one would have to be pretty cautious to avoid running aground as even a clear route yesterday might not be good tomorrow.

red devil

Re: U-boats in the Mississippi River?

Post by red devil » 27 Feb 2014, 15:11

From what I can recall in my searches, u boats did at least go to the mississippi delta but I do not think they would dare go up river, the draught would have been too shallow and if spotted would have been trapped. Once in shallow waters would be easily seen in the clear waters from the air.

The Mississippi River Delta is not to be confused with the Mississippi Delta region, an alluvial plain located some 300 miles (480 km) northward in western Mississippi along the river.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7861653 ... !1e3?hl=en

if you zoom in to the coast south east of Orleans (below) you can see there is no way a submerged sub could navigate the river at its arrival in the Gulf.
Attachments
564px-Mississippi_delta_from_space.jpg
564px-Mississippi_delta_from_space.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 7693 times

flakbait

Re: U-boats in the Mississippi River?

Post by flakbait » 06 Mar 2014, 03:56

There were U boats that operated in the mouth of the Gulf of St Laurance during WW2. They experienced difficulties because submarines are calibrated to operate in SEA water, NOT fresh water. Plus they had problems with eddies and odd sub currents. Keep in mind too the average depth of that body of water is MUCH deeper than the Mississippi River...

Return to “U-Boats”