U-boats and Ice.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
thatfloridaguy

U-boats and Ice.

Post by thatfloridaguy » 18 Mar 2015, 02:17

Hello all, I have been lurking here for a few years now and Decided that I finally had a question that maybe this site could help me with. I was wondering if any U-boats were able to smash through ice at all? What I mean by this in particular is when surfacing where the german U-boats able to break through any substantial amount of ice? Im guessing that if the submarine was in good condition and provided it didnt have any damage it could get through a few feet maybe. Also what about on the surface where they able to smash through any ice while underway, I am aware that there were limited ice operations by a few U-boats in the North Atlantic, one example was U-262 I think it was that was under neath a solid ice pack for something like ten hours. In Conclusion could a german U-boat get through any ice surfacing? If so how much and could they also vis a vis break ice under speed at all? Or would this just result in them being cut open like the Titanic? :?

SnakeDoc

Re: U-boats and Ice.

Post by SnakeDoc » 18 Mar 2015, 13:58

Hi,

try this site:
http://www.dubm.de/lang1/operating_under_the_ice.html

--
Regards
Maciek

thatfloridaguy

Re: U-boats and Ice.

Post by thatfloridaguy » 18 Mar 2015, 20:49

Ah thank you, That was the site I read about u-262 from. It was a bit vague though on the amount of ice they smashed through, not u-262 but in general. I guess there is no way to really know until you do it. Does anyone know more about ww2 era ice breakers or specifically submarine operations in ice filled waters?

Return to “U-Boats”