Biber U-boat (Not Justin !)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
him.rudkjoebing

Biber U-boat (Not Justin !)

Post by him.rudkjoebing » 08 Jan 2017, 18:50

Once again I have to ask for help on a modeling project, this time on the German Kriegsmarine.

This Christmas I got an example of Italeris kit of the Biber U-boat. According to information found with help from Uncle Google, I found out that there was a unit stationed in Fecamp, France, in 1944 who took its boats to sea to combat the allied shipping in support of the invasion in France. It is one of these U-boats I would like to depict.

Now my question is: There are two types of tails to the torpedoes in the kit: One type, where the propellers are protected by the stabilizers and one, where they are not - which one would be most likely in use ? and what was its name/type ?

Also any information on the unit in question will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Natter

Re: Biber U-boat (Not Justin !)

Post by Natter » 08 Jan 2017, 19:18

him.rudkjoebing wrote:Now my question is: There are two types of tails to the torpedoes in the kit: One type, where the propellers are protected by the stabilizers and one, where they are not - which one would be most likely in use ? and what was its name/type ?
The Biber used the G7e(TIIIc) torpedo, ie an electric torpedo with a "woolwich" type tail (two dual-blade propellers situated aft of the rudder).
The torpedo should also have netcutters on the aftsection and on the Kb warhead, and subsequently a Pi2f pistol without "whiskers".

Please do some research before you build and (especially) paint your torpedoes... No model manufacturer - Italeri included - has a clue about german torpedoes, judging by their box artwork, parts and building/painting instructions :-(

One typical problem, is the use of a generic torpedohull - typically the G7a(TI) - and a choice of G7a or G7e tail (!). Also, the design of the tail, propellers and warhead/pistol are rarely close to correct, that goes for the batteryhatches as well on those sets actually having a G7e hull :-(
It's easy to see that most models have been copied from the Bibers on display at IWM and Speyer, as they have incorporated the same flaws as the museum (especially the great fantasy shown in terms of colours used for painting the objects).

I recommend you check the Accurate Model Parts forum ( http://models.rokket.biz/index.php ), which have a dedicated thread on german torpedo colours.
Last edited by Natter on 09 Jan 2017, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Natter

Post by Natter » 08 Jan 2017, 20:03

Here are some photos I collected quickly from the net showing the TIII tail, the netcutters and the Pi2f pistol:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38692668/TIIIc.zip

Natter

Post by Natter » 21 Jan 2017, 22:55

him.rudkjoebing wrote:Also any information on the unit in question will be greatly appreciated.
It seems you're not spending more time here, but for this question - check the recommondations given in this topic:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=135072

Return to “U-Boats”