Photo of Poles at Westerplatte??

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
captjim

Photo of Poles at Westerplatte??

Post by captjim » 31 Dec 2011, 12:45

Hello everyone. Some time ago I came across this picture online. (perhaps on ww2incolor.com ?) I recall that it was uploaded by a user who insisted that it was a rare photo of a Polish soldier in a trench at the Battle of Westerplatte. If true then it is the only photo I've ever seen of the Polish defenders there; all the photos I've seen are of the surrender and the battle's aftermath. I was somewhat skeptical so I decided to ask here to be sure.

Has anyone seen this photo at a more reliable and verifiable source, is it really at Westerplatte? If it is not, then does anyone have pictures of the Polish defense of Westerplatte?

Piotr Mikołajski

Re: Photo of Poles at Westerplatte??

Post by Piotr Mikołajski » 01 Jan 2012, 02:34

I never saw this photo. It was published on WW2 in Color indeed, but it can be taken everywhere and in every moment. With modern photo manipulation techniques it can be even TV reconstruction.
Best regards,
Piotr Mikołajski

Ponury

Post by Ponury » 23 Feb 2013, 16:01

Polish soldier on "Fort" bunkier in Westerplatte 1939? Maybe.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 25 Feb 2013, 21:30

I agree difficult to authenticate. Looks like a still from a film (perhaps the dimensional proportions?).

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”