Polish Relief Poster

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
randomclark

Polish Relief Poster

Post by randomclark » 01 Jan 2015, 16:28

I have a poster (16"x20", copyright 1940, F. Sondey). After considerable "bouncing around" the web and various organizations I have been able to determine that indeed it is a war relief effort poster printed in the United States. This was part of a series of posters created to assist with war relief all done in a similar style. As in the First World War artists were commissioned by relief organizations to make such graphics in an attempt to gain American sympathies for various countries effected by the catastrophe.

What organization commissioned this series of posters is usually listed on the back of the poster with a stamp. There is no name on the back which usually means the poster was never used.

PS: the soldiers depicted have swastika's on their sleeves.....you might not be able to see in the photo.

The only other copies of this poster seem to be in the possession of the Polish Museum of America (in Chicago).

Is anyone familiar with this poster? or have a suggestion as to the best path forward for me to either donate it to a worthwhile organization or if not to determine a value and sell it?

randomclark

Re: Polish Relief Poster

Post by randomclark » 01 Jan 2015, 16:31

poland poster2.jpg
I think I failed to attach photo with initial posting.............

Sniegson

Post by Sniegson » 13 Jan 2015, 13:22

I never seen this poster it's very interesning. Could You scan it in good quality and upload?

randomclark

Post by randomclark » 14 Jan 2015, 04:45

not sure where I might be able to get that done if my office machine can't do it. i'll check

randomclark

Post by randomclark » 21 Feb 2015, 04:15

Haven't been able to find anywhere to scan it, sorry. But in the meantime I did put it on Ebay and it's about to expire of no one bids on it. I just guessed at the value based on a 1/2 way educated guesstimate. thks

jimhales

Post by jimhales » 11 Mar 2015, 21:00

Hi, Just saw your post from recent. I have a poster as well from Sondey dated 1940 but it is of a religious nature. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Scan4.jpg
Scan4.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”