Polish cavalry.

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Christian W.

Polish cavalry.

Post by Christian W. » 04 Sep 2004, 17:39

I am damn sure that Polish cavalry didnt use sabres agaisnt tanks, they used sabres, lances in charges and agaisnt infantry but they also had rifles agaisnt infantry and AT-equipment agaisnt armored units. But.. why on earth are these cavalrymens carrying spears and swords on their hands? That is a lot of cavalry, and it looks like that its taken from the beginning of the war.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (113.38 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Last edited by Christian W. on 05 Sep 2004, 11:25, edited 6 times in total.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 04 Sep 2004, 19:12

Cavalry was used primarily against enemy infantry, and was often quite effective. The men were armed with rifles and other gear (- not just sabres and lances) as seen in the photo below. (Incidentally, the picture you posted was allegedly taken around May 1939, during large scale maneuvers.)

For more about the Polish Cavalry of the period, see the thread linked here.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=48194

It mainly addresses the question of cavalry vs. armor charges, but it also discusses the cavalry's role, and includes an excerpt from a veteran cavalryman recounting his unit's attack on a column of German infantry.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=48194

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 04 Sep 2004, 19:43

Yes, i was aware that they had modern equipment, if you look carefully to the picture of mine, you can see that the mens are carrying rifles on their backs, of course they had other equipment too, agaisnt tanks they had AT-equipment. However, how can you be sure that the picture is from May 1939?

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 05 Sep 2004, 06:49

The lax attitude of some of them indicates prewar manoevres. Besdies, the lance was the traditional mounted weapon of the cavalry, and was still used in operations in 1939. Besides, it would still be more effective than a sword or cavalry sabre at medium ranges.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 05 Sep 2004, 10:44

A few corrections:
1. Not swords, but sabres. Polish Army hasn't used swords since XVI or even XV century and as the first army in Europe adopted sabers.
2. Not spears, but lances. Why did Polish cavalry use lances? What do you think? Its not so difficult :) If somebody lies on the ground how would be easier to kill him? Using sabre or lance? Good answer - a lance. The same if you meet enemy cavalry group, which is armed with sabres only.
There should be not surprise for you. Polish cavalry was always a swift model for Poland's opponents. They learnt from Poles and tried to imitate Polish cavalry. The same Poland tried to imitate her opponent's infantry. However to be honest our opponents learnt faster, than we. There were many fundametalists in Poland, who didn't want to introduce military reforms and didn't obey a king...
The first major battle with Polish cavalry using lances took place in Albuhera in Spain, on May 16th 1811. In that day a small group of Polish cavalry defeated far advantegous British forces, breaking British infantry squares, killing a few thousand soldiers and capturing a few British banners. Nobody other achieved it again during the Napoleonic Wars...
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=17888

There were a few cavalry-cavalry engagements during Polish campaign in 1939. They ended (talking mildly) really not good for the Germans... Besides the lances were very useful to attack German infantry, that hid in swamp area.
Last edited by Musashi on 05 Sep 2004, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 05 Sep 2004, 11:18

Corrected, with swords/spears i meant sabres and lances, i apologize for my English. :oops:

I agree, using lance from horseback to attack someone on the ground is good since the lance is long, sabres also work well in charges.

Well, you could say that most ended well, besides when Polish 18th Lancers of the Pomorska Cavalry Brigade attacked the German infantry in Chojnice. If there wouldnt have been tanks/armored units, the whole thing might have been succes, but when the armored units showed up..rather bad.

This is what was said on my history book, you can agree with it or not, i cant say that i completly agree with it

" The pride of the Polish army was its well trained cavalry, but it was helples agaisnt German panzers. German panzers destroyed the cavalry units after a two weeks of fighting. "
Attachments
polryt01.gif
polryt01.gif (95.74 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Last edited by Christian W. on 05 Sep 2004, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 05 Sep 2004, 12:49

Christian W.,
I have been already tired by responding for such comments.
Polish cavalry never charged German tanks deliberately. There were a few clashes, when Polish cavalry tried to break encirclement, but there weren't planned attacks. Even the image above is a big amateurishness. There are Polish cavalrymen dressed in WWI-era uniforms. Besides Polish cavalry wasn't destroyed in a week as your book claims.
Read this topic:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... sh+cavalry
Last edited by Musashi on 05 Sep 2004, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 05 Sep 2004, 13:25

I didnt say that they deliberately charged on German panzers, my point was that they were charging on german infantry but then the panzers showed up.

And i have read that topic, several times. :?

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 05 Sep 2004, 14:55

how can you be sure that the picture is from May 1939?
As I was not present when and where the photo was taken (as I assume no one else on the forum was, either), it is difficult to be "sure"/ absolutely certain (which is why I used the word "allegedly" in my first post.) However, the photo is labled as May 1939 on several photo archives, including the "Corbis" site linked above.
my point was that they were charging on german infantry but then the panzers showed up.
I believe this was discussed at length in the other thread.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 05 Sep 2004, 15:08

Yes it has been.

Mateusz

Post by Mateusz » 26 Sep 2004, 12:10

Please, don't believe in German propaganda!!!

A lot of you have mentioned that on the Sep 1st 1939 Polish cavalry attacked German tanks (using sabres and lances) in Chojnice area (Krojanty village exactly). IT'S NOT TRUE!!! There weren't any tanks at that time but mot. inf. unit - without tanks or armoured cars!!! Two squadrons of the Polish cavalry spotted Germans on the road and attacked them immediately and very fast retreated.

Against German tanks Polish cavalry was mainly using 37 mm Bofors AT guns or AT rifles (kb ppanc. wz. 35). These types of weapon were extremely effective (they were able to destroy all German tanks/armoured vehicles at that time).

On the Sep 1st 1939 Wolynska Brygada Kawalerii ('Wolyn' Cavalry Brigade) began fighting with German 4th Tank Division (equipped with 300 tanks) in the Mokra area (southern Poland). During 1 - 2 days Poles destroyed 80 German tanks (!!!). Do you think they used sabres and lances against them??? :lol:

Greetings

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 27 Sep 2004, 17:23

Dont worry, i dont belive in German propaganda. :lol:

Mateusz

Post by Mateusz » 27 Sep 2004, 17:27

So I'm very glad. :D

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 14 Nov 2004, 14:37

schjertzer

Post by schjertzer » 17 Nov 2004, 14:19

But Mateusz
German Mot. Infantry's recon btln. includes armoured cars!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”