Two generals

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
Steen Ammentorp

Two generals

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 06 Jan 2012, 17:06

I am trying to identify two French generals, and I also trying to verify their rank as generals during the war.

Firstly I am looking for the full name and other information of a General Martin, who was Director-General of the Gendarmerie. I originally found him on the web.genealogie site as Clement Martin (and I have used this name on my site). However since then I have been unable to find additional information on him, and I am beginning to doubt the first name. I have found numerous sources mentioning an officer by the name of Martin, who became Director-General of the Gendarmerie Nationale on the 1st September 1943, and that he was consequently promoted to Generale de Brigade. I have found one source that identify him as Colonel A. Martin

http://books.google.dk/books?ei=nAoHT9e ... rch_anchor

So any additional information would highly appreciate.

The other is a General Rocca, who is mentioned in several sources on the Internet as Commander of Sub-Division Mézièrs and Defence Sector Ardennes between 2nd Sep. 1939 and 20th Nov. 1939. However none of the sources provides his full name.

Again any additional information would highly appreciate.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Two generals

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 26 Feb 2014, 16:10

Finally - after years of searching :D :D :D

I have been able to nail these two.

General Martin is Jean-Augustin-Andre Martin (1892-1955) and General Rocca is in fact François-Louis-Marie-Victor Haca (1881-1969). It seems that Les Grandes Unités Françaises by SHAT has garbled his name, and this is the origin for name Rocca mentioned on various sites.

Perhaps this is not new to others, however the experience was so pleasant that I just had to share :lol:
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Return to “France 1919-1945”