WWI French mortar casing

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
elmerthep

WWI French mortar casing

Post by elmerthep » 01 Oct 2014, 20:06

My grandfather was WWI vet, and was in France. I am researching and studying his time there, and studying some his military items and possessions. One very cool thing he acquired is a huge mortar casing from a French gun, I would guess this thing is some 14" in diameter, and nearly as tall. I am looking for direction to find some materials to help me ID this thing. I am no expert in such things, I am really interested in my family history, and preserving it for the future family. Thanks

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: WWI French mortar casing

Post by John G. » 02 Oct 2014, 11:37

Usually, the markings on the bottom of the casing will tell you the caliber ..... remember European calibers are METRIC... also remember in WW 1 nearly all American used Artillery was of FRENCH origins... *(as was most of our Machine guns, tanks, and planes).... so if your grandfather was an artilleryman... it might be from the type of weapon he served "on".... (could just have been his ash tray...too!)

First thing is to know his unit information.... down to the Company (or Battery/troop, etc.) if possible... then research that unit's service in the war... most units had quite detailed unit histories... and much is available on line.

If you have all the basics.... I'd contact the related unit Museum (if there is one) for assistance, and ask over at the "American Military history forum" for added information/help...
Best wishes and good luck...
John G.

Return to “France 1919-1945”