Infantry regiment in the ETO retained bolt action rifles?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Delta Tank

Re: Infantry regiment in the ETO retained bolt action rifles

Post by Delta Tank » 04 Feb 2013, 04:39

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
Delta Tank wrote: So, no date when this was done and then undone, but he was in the 2d Infantry Division and I would find it hard to believe that any regiment in the 2d ID landed on Omaha Beach on 7 June were equipped with Springfields.
Did the entire division land of 7 June, or were one or more of the infantry regiments remaining afloat until the 8th or 9th?
Carl,

I don't know, everything I have read states that the 2d ID landed on 7 June, I have never seen a breakdown on what landed and what did not land. Sorry. Maybe it is listed in the book entitled "Omaha Beachhead", I will look.

Mike

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 05 Feb 2013, 00:08

Carl,

This from "Cross Channel Attack" by Gordon A. Harrison http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/ ... _9.HTM#366 page 366.
The 2d Division (Maj. Gen. Walter M. Robertson),45 which had begun landing the evening of 7 June, had enough units ashore by midday of the 9th to be operational and it took over 5,000 yards of the 1st Division front north of Trévières.
If I understand it correctly the 2d ID was scheduled to start landing on D+2, 8 June. So I guess they pushed them ashore just a little early.

Mike

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 05 Feb 2013, 00:49

Carl,

This is from "Omaha Beachhead" http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/ ... htm#cerisy
Although build-up had been affected by the delay in all landing schedules during the first days, V Corps disposed of considerable increase in strength for attack beyond D-Day objectives. Four battalions of 155-mm howitzers (corps artillery) were getting ashore on 8 June. The 2d Division, originally due by D+2, was estimated far enough along in landing to be operational by the next day. The 9th Infantry had landed the evening of 7 June, and used two battalions on 8 June in clearing out snipers behind the beach between St-Laurent and Vierville. The 38th Infantry had two battalions ashore by evening of the 8th, and the 23d had started landing. Two batteries of divisional artillery were arriving. Behind the 2d Division, the 2d Armored was ready to bring in its first elements on 9 June.
In V Corps Field Order No. 2, issued at 2115 on 8 June, General Gerow directed an attack at noon the next day by three divisions abreast (Map No. XIV). The 2d Division, taking over a 5,000-yard front
Page 137
north of Trevieres, was to capture the key high ground at Cerisy Forest.
Mike

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 05 Feb 2013, 16:21

Hei guys. I really appreciate of your efforts and the point that you relate on sources available, not depend on pure arguments or opinons...

This forum is best in the whole AHF nowadays! 8-)

Greets, J-P :milsmile:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

Keystone

Post by Keystone » 05 Feb 2013, 18:02

According to the Second Infantry Division Regimental Booklets, their landings occurred at Omaha Beach:

07 June 1944 - 9th Infantry Regiment and 38th Infantry Regiments (1st Battalion elements including Company "C" at Easy Red sector near St. Laurent).
08 JUNE 1944 - 23rd Infantry Regiment.

Dunnigan

Post by Dunnigan » 06 Feb 2013, 19:58

Yesterday I was able to review the 2nd Infantry Division Combat History in WWII and the 23rd Infantry Regiment history 1939-1945 in the library, but they were inconclusive (as I figured). The 2nd ID combat history was a nice summary of its actions but very light on its training. The 23rd Regiment book was like a yearbook done immediately after the war and very light on details. All the photos in the two books were inconclusive as well as most showed infantrymen with M1's in the combat photos as well as the training photos and often were not captioned as to which unit they belonged.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 06 Feb 2013, 20:48

Dunnigan wrote:Yesterday I was able to review the 2nd Infantry Division Combat History in WWII and the 23rd Infantry Regiment history 1939-1945 in the library, but they were inconclusive (as I figured). The 2nd ID combat history was a nice summary of its actions but very light on its training. The 23rd Regiment book was like a yearbook done immediately after the war and very light on details. All the photos in the two books were inconclusive as well as most showed infantrymen with M1's in the combat photos as well as the training photos and often were not captioned as to which unit they belonged.
Maybe it is a myth.

Mike

Return to “USA 1919-1945”