M26 Pershing vs Japan

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Mil-tech Bard

Re: M26 Pershing vs Japan

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 29 Aug 2010, 19:42

ChristopherPerrien wrote:
High ground pressure was a common problem for all Shermans, as side armor it is my recollection that later model Shermans had thicker "side" armor on the top half of the hull (above the track)track than Pershings(103mm to 85MM IIRRC) but the Pershings actual hull armor was thicker than the lower hull armor on Shermans.

You pretty much made my case for equal front armor protection , although I think the Perhsing was slightly thicker a couple mm's, IIRC.

Like I said,IIRC< Darrin posted some interesting figs on this somewhere way back, which I have not found yet. Give me some time to find that, and it was not just some "bs". off the net.

True, the capabilities in armor penetration capabilities to the 75/76 gun as opposed to the 90mm were "different", with thre 90 of course being better, but that I don't think matters much, as most concrete bunkers could defeat most rounds fired by either of these weapons . Big bunkers were really only suppressed by tanks , while other assets moved in for the kill. In respects to just flinging explosive at appertures or hitting them with an AT round , the difference between 75 and 90mm tank fire is not much different in effect to the receiver of such shells.

I.E. the 90mm Pershing was no better a "bunker buster " than the avg late model Sherman. And as far as avg battles would have went against the poorly armored and AT armed Japanese during "Cornet" the Sherman would have benn as effective as the Pershing , and the Sherman was lighter and there were alot more of them around and it was a more familiar tank and it was easier to both land , ship, and support them.

Now if you want to re-fight the "Western Front" I agree that it would have bene better to have a lesser number of Pershings than alot of Shermans on a number of occasions, but even in that scenario, the point is quite debatable.

Let me try to find those figs.
The 90mm was far superior to both the 75mm and 76mm in punching through reinforced concrete.

See:

Mobile Artillery vs. Jap Fortifications

OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF ORDNANCE
WASHINGTON, D.C.
MAY 1945

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/mobil ... index.html

The 90 mm Gun Motor Carriages, M36 Series and Heavy Tank M26 (T26E3) provides a companion piece to the 155 mm Gun Motor Carriage M40 (T83) for attack on the type of targets described above.

The higher muzzle velocity gives a flatter trajectory and greater accuracy. This is helpful when small openings are under attack.

Three rounds of the C.P. M78 fuzed M71 H.E. Shell will perforate a 5-foot reinforced concrete wall while 6 rounds will perforate a wall 7 foot thick.

Against earth bunkers the round is also effective as it will penetrate 20 feet of earth.

The 75mm medium velocity gun on most M4 Shermans was found to be next to useless against Japanese reinforced concrete positions on Iwo Jima and against the old Spanish masonry fort in Manila (blanking on its name).

As a part of the conventional weapons tests for Project Sphinx, the Tank Destroyer command documented that the 76mm was better than the 75mm, but inferior to the 90mm gun for concrete and earth bunker busting.

This paralleled the performance of M-10 tank destroyers with 3-inch guns -- used in lieu of M-7 105mm SPM in an independent tank battalion-- at Kwajalein with the 7th Infantry Division.
Last edited by Mil-tech Bard on 29 Aug 2010, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 29 Aug 2010, 20:48

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
I wonder if there was a significant difference in the M4 series vs the T26 side armor, other than thickness. Looking at a M4 & M26 side by side I noticed the following:

1. the M4 hull is at least 10cm or four inches higher than the M26. Side by side the M4 hull looks even taller but we made a rough measurement.

2. The upper side armor of the M26 was sloped, vs the vertical side of the M4. It was not clear what difference there was in the slope behind the tracks.

3. Overall the M26 had the appearance of far less vulnerable sides due to the larger proportion of coverage by the tracks & rollers. The M4 had a larger area of vertical flat side exposed above the tracks.

4. The front underside or 'return; of the M26 was of less surface area than the M4, and the transition or nose was several cm lower than the M4. the appearance was of significantly less exposure of the lower front hull.
The following performance data for the Japanese 47-mm gun is from:

JAPANESE TANK
AND
ANTITANK WARFARE
01 Aug 1945

which had this note:

This issue of SPECIAL SERIES supersedes SPECIAL SERIES No. 26,
Japanese Tanks and Tank Tactics. It also replaces the tentative
edition of Japanese Tank and Antitank Warfare published 25 June
1945. It is based on reasonably confirmed information from authoritative
sources up to 15 July 1945.

And can be had on-line at no cost here:

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/wwIIspec/number34.pdf

Range (yards) Normal/30 degrees
250 ............ 3. 0 / 2. 25 inches
500 ............ 2. 75 / 2. 0 inches
750 ............ 2. 45 / 1. 7 inches
1,000 .......... 2. 0 / 1. 4 inches
1,500 .......... 1.6 / 1. 2 inches

There are several reports that the 47-mm on the Type 3 Chi-Nu including this one "The Most Effective Jap Tank" from Intelligence Bulletin, July 1945 which can be seen here:

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/jp_t ... index.html

Had a better APHE shell of some sort. This is the passage in question:

Recent combat reports indicate that the quality of the 47-mm armor-piercing, high-explosive projectile has been improved. Moreover, tests show that the 47-mm tank gun will penetrate the U.S. M4A3 at 500 yards or more. In combat, one U.S. M4A3 medium tank was hit six times with armor-piercing, high-explosive rounds from this gun, at an angle of impact of approximately 30 degrees. Five complete penetrations and one partial penetration resulted. The range, according to members of the U.S. tank crew, was approximately 150 to 200 yards.

Based on that report and the Tariff data base, I put together the following performance table for that "improved 47-mm tank round" ==

47mm A.P. Shot Mk.I ( Armor Piercing )
Weight Velocity
1.4 kg 823 m/s

Range/Penetration
100m -- 76 mm
500 m -- 64 mm
1000m -- 53 mm
1500m -- 42 mm
2000m -- 34 mm

I originally thought the poor performance of US Army M4A3 armor protection in Luzon might be explained by their being the early generation M4A3 ( 2-inch 57 degree front slope versus 2.5 inch 47 degree slope) training tanks that were refurbished and sent over seas in 1944.

However, the USMC M4A3 on Iwo Jima and Okinawa also had 47-mm AT-gun front hull penetrations and they were definitely second generation M4 Shermans.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 29 Aug 2010, 21:36

Nice stuff Mil-barb.

However,
Five complete penetrations and one partial penetration resulted. The range, according to members of the U.S. tank crew, was approximately 150 to 200 yards.
At that kind of range even a Pershing is "in trouble", dueling with an emplaced AT gun at 100-150mmm. Give me a 47mm AT gun at such a range, I'd put every round through a vision block or turret ring every time. However, perhaps I'm just boasting since I've hit a "Horsefly" at about 1200m with a 105mm M68. Perhaps EVERY ONE of them cross-eye/thick-eye-glass wearing Japanese weren't nearly that good. :roll:
Three rounds of the C.P. M78 fuzed M71 H.E. Shell will perforate a 5-foot reinforced concrete wall while 6 rounds will perforate a wall 7 foot thick.
Need I bother to note that a 75mm HE will do about the same thing, IF YOU HIT THE SAME SPOT.

But just let me note, TANKS,in an attack on bunkers , will be shooting at the apertures/gun-slits of bunkers, In this respect if you put an old french 75 round or a new-fangled 90mm round you get the same result. OF COURSE, Given a "blind-spot" :milwink: If you are just shooting at the back or side of a bunker , Why bother with what-ever tank, firing 10 90mm or 20 75mms rounds? . In such cases, Bring up a ol' 155mm SP and with one round or two blow all those MF's to hell. It's what Patton suggested in his book. And he learned that from those Metz forts that caused him much distress. Cujo's to your link describing how effective the 155mm was against bunkers. Or just get an engineer and blow'em up.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 30 Aug 2010, 01:00

The superior performance performance of the 3-inch and 105 mm guns at Intramuros on M-10 and M4 (105) -- during the Battle of Manila -- compared to the 75mm was self-evident.

As was the need for direct fire 155mm gun fire, 8-inch gunfire and 240mm (9.5 inch) gunfire.

See:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... ph-16.html
TABLE 3
ARTILLERY IN SUPPORT OF THE ASSAULT ON INTRAMUROS
Units and Their Locations Weapons
North Bank of Pasig
Battery B, 136th Field Artillery 4 155-mm. howitzers
6th Field Artillery 12 105-mm. howitzers
Platoon, 637th TD Battalion 4 76-mm. guns

East of Intramuros
Battery A, 136th Field Artillery 4 155-mm. howitzers
Battery A, 140th Field Artillery 4 105-mm. howitzers
One piece, 756th Field Artillery 1 155-mm. howitzer
Six tanks, 754th Tank Battalion 6 75-mm. tank guns
Two platoons, 637th TD Battalion 8 76-mm. guns

Division and Corps Artillery at Rear Positions
Companies A & D, 82d Chemical Mortar Battalion 24 4.2-inch mortars
135th Field Artillery 12 105-mm. howitzers
82d Field Artillery 12 105-mm. howitzers
Batteries B & C, 140th Field Artillery 8 105-mm. howitzers
Battery C, 136th Field Artillery 4 155-mm. howitzers
756th Field Artillery (less 1 weapon) 11 155-mm. howitzers
Battery C, 465th Field Artillery 4 8-inch howitzers
Battery C, 544th Field Artillery 2 240-mm. howitzers

Source. Relevant sources cited in n. 12.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 05 Sep 2010, 16:57

ChristopherPerrien wrote:Nice stuff Mil-barb.

However,
Five complete penetrations and one partial penetration resulted. The range, according to members of the U.S. tank crew, was approximately 150 to 200 yards.
At that kind of range even a Pershing is "in trouble", dueling with an emplaced AT gun at 100-150mmm. Give me a 47mm AT gun at such a range, I'd put every round through a vision block or turret ring every time. However, perhaps I'm just boasting since I've hit a "Horsefly" at about 1200m with a 105mm M68. Perhaps EVERY ONE of them cross-eye/thick-eye-glass wearing Japanese weren't nearly that good. :roll:
Need I bother to note that a 75mm HE will do about the same thing, IF YOU HIT THE SAME SPOT.

But just let me note, TANKS,in an attack on bunkers , will be shooting at the apertures/gun-slits of bunkers, In this respect if you put an old french 75 round or a new-fangled 90mm round you get the same result. OF COURSE, Given a "blind-spot" :milwink: If you are just shooting at the back or side of a bunker , Why bother with what-ever tank, firing 10 90mm or 20 75mms rounds? . In such cases, Bring up a ol' 155mm SP and with one round or two blow all those MF's to hell. It's what Patton suggested in his book. And he learned that from those Metz forts that caused him much distress. Cujo's to your link describing how effective the 155mm was against bunkers. Or just get an engineer and blow'em up.

>At that kind of range even a Pershing is "in trouble", dueling with an emplaced AT gun at 100-150mmm. Give me a
>47mm AT gun at such a range, I'd put every round through a vision block or turret ring every time.

This was how the US Army 711th Tank battalion got in trouble using it's POA built periscope flame throwers on Okinawa. They had to get within 30-to-40 yards to effectively use the puppies with napalm thickened fuel. The Japanese promptly shot the flame-projectors off, and in three cases detonated the napalm lines burning the crews alive.

The M3-M4-M3 and M3-M4-E6R3 Aux-armament flame throwers had double the range, but only the Marines had the former on Okinawa and the latter were on US Army replacement tank reserves of M4A3(76) in Hawaii during Okinawa.

Everyone in tanks on Okinawa decided the 713th's main armament flame thrower tanks were a much better idea as they were even longer ranged than the M3-M4-M3's and their 290 gallon napalm tanks did not block the crew escape hatches like the 50 gallon tanks on the Aux-armament flame throwers did.

>>Need I bother to note that a 75mm HE will do about the same thing, IF YOU HIT THE SAME SPOT.

Both the 76mm and 90mm were much more accurate within their range than the 75mm -- high velocity versus medium velocity does that.

The late model M4A3(76) had the same high power optical sites as an M-18 Hellcat and the Pershing ditto with the M-36.

This means that the 90mm on the Pershing was going to be pounding the same spot on a bunker at 800 yards, with a more powerful shell, the way a Sherman with a 75mm gun did at 300 yards. Given the limited anti-armor capability of the Japanese anti-tank guns and the armor protection of M-26, that is the difference between life and death.

This applies for both shooting at apertures/gun-slits of bunkers and for punching out their sides.

Besides, the Japanese were in love with the 50mm knee mortar. They had used them in 1942 to punch out the thin top armor of British M3 Stuarts at Imphal. They were the primary fire support weapon for Japanese Kyushu defenses and the unarmored tops of American Tank Destroyers and 105, 155, 203 and 240mm Self Propelled Mounts would have been magnets for incoming 50mm knee mortar fire.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 07 Sep 2010, 20:44

Check out pages 70-73 at this link on how the 671st tank destroyer battalion was going to support IX Corps in the Assault on Kyushu:

http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbulletin/ ... DITION.pdf

It adds quite a bit on how the US Army was learning to "process" Japanese cave positions with heavy cannon fire from combat experiance on Okinawa.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 25 Sep 2010, 21:38

This is typed from a Iwo Jima after actions report:
Annex JIG
to
Fourth Marine Division
Operations Report
4th Tank Battalion Report

page 20

9. Experience gained on Iwo Jima, weighed with previous combat lessons., justifies the following recommendations.

(a) Tank, Army, Medium, M4A3 should be replaced by Tank, Army, heavy, M26 (also known as Tank, Army, medium T 26, T 26-E1 and General Pershing) M4 series tanks are extremely vulnerable to 47 mm AT fire, magnetic mines, shaped charges, and field artillery. This is especially true in operations against a well manned, heavily fortified position, or in a slow moving situation over difficult terrain where the M4 loses its maneuverability. The gun 75mm M3, tank, the primary armament of the M4 series tank is not effective against well constructed reinforced concrete positions. The M4 series tank, with its weight increase from many modifications and its narrow track and bogie-volute suspension system has to much ground pressure to successfully negotiate loose sand or heavy going. The M26 represents the following advantages over the
(1) It is shorter, wider, and lower, presenting a lower sillouette; in spite of ths, it weights 44 tons, the additional weight being caused by increased armor. Since it is now evident that the M4 series tanks can not be safely loaded in LCM's, this increased weight would not effect the use of the M26 in amphibious Operations.
>snip<
The USMC tank operators wanted the Pershing after tasting the power of the Japanese 47 mm anti-tank gun, and this is from the operations report of the 4th USMC tank BTN that had added track links and side armor prior to the Iwo Jima operation!

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 28 Sep 2010, 02:24

Look Mil barb, , I not gonna argue about the Pershing being a better tank than the Sherman (afterall I served on the last model of that tank the M60A3). But I will go out on a limb and support the Generals of US Armor doctrine in WWII and say simply that the "need" of a newer tank in "Coronet" was outwieghed both by the extra logistical tail adding such a new piece of equipment and more importantly that its tactical effect/improvement as compared to a like number of Sherman would have very slim. Tanks on japan wouldn't have been bunker bustering at close quarters like they were on IWO. It would have been "manuver", and that is where logistics counts more. There would have been no "seige" warfare or tank vs tank battles during Cornet , which would have been the only places the Pershing might have outshined the Sherman. Never would have happened on Japan, well surely there might have been some bunker-bustings when bypassing was not an option..

Plus you have to add doctrine, perhaps the Marines were ONLY thinking about those times when they could count on the support of ONE tank, oncramped island battles. But that is not how tanks are properly deployed. Tanks work with other tanks in open field conditions, and numbers of tanks gain an exponential advantage over a few single heavily armored behemoths. Coronet would not have been a ponderous single prong/wave marine assault on a bunker like on Betio , but a vast multi- army group level advance across a country. Pershings weren't necessary and would have impose an extra logistical burden.

And to be honest, tanks, especially first model tanks, are "buggy" pieces of machinery. Given what I know I would have been happier with a "old reliable" piece of equipment than an un-tried piece, surely mechanics felt the same. The opinion of marine tankers in WWII on IWO refllects the opinion of part-time tankers and tank tactics particular only to an island amphibious assault, that are not normally or often found/seen on modern battlefields.
Last edited by ChristopherPerrien on 29 Sep 2010, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 28 Sep 2010, 23:44

The 10th Army Okinawa after action reports called for the 70-ton T-29 heavy tank in leu of 155mm and larger self-propelled guns for shooting it out with Japanese cave defenses.

That was why the Army General staff over ruled both the Armored Force and the AGF to order 1,000 T-29 for Coronet.

I'll try and post the relevent 10th Army AAR later.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 29 Sep 2010, 03:13

Mil-tech Bard wrote:Check out pages 70-73 at this link on how the 671st tank destroyer battalion was going to support IX Corps in the Assault on Kyushu:

http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbulletin/ ... DITION.pdf

It adds quite a bit on how the US Army was learning to "process" Japanese cave positions with heavy cannon fire from combat experiance on Okinawa.
Cool, blast from the past. Iread that section. It only goes to show in microcasm how much firepower we had and how it would have been extremely effectively used if we had invaded Japan. It would have been a massacre of poorly armed "militia" for the most part. The Japanese would have been exterminated. Even so ,As it was, mass starvation would have killed most before we would have gotten close enough to blow them to bits.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 02 Oct 2010, 00:18

Here is an interesting exerpt on the Japanese 47mm gun from:

Enemy on Luzon: an intelligence summary.
Headquarters, Sixth Army
Dec 1945

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.p ... 187&REC=12

page 194

Widely employed on Luzon was the 47-mm anti-tank gun,
Type 1 (1941) It was an excellent weapon, with mechanized
carriage and a high muzzle-velocity (2750 f/s). It proved
most effective in combat, and tests showed penetration of
4 1/2 inches of armor at close range and direct angle of impact

Three and a half inches I can believe with a APHE shell.

4 & 1/2 inches at normal?

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 02 Oct 2010, 01:51

That's pretty good performance, makes me wonder why we didn't use them instead of 75/76mm. :? Or what kind of armor they were shooting at and what range <100yds? wiki says 2.75" at 0 at 500yds.
But at a definite 0 angle, there is no "overmatch?/richocet" so maybe so, at <100yds.
I gotta wonder about that report. BTW- where is pg 194?, my file only goes to pg 123.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 02 Oct 2010, 14:50

The report comes in two parts.

Part two has the rest.

I am not sure of your interface, but on the L/H side frame window, if you click part 2, and you should see it.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 15 Apr 2011, 04:45

Something looking very like this was going to be a part of Operation Coronet in Feb-March 1946.
T35 mockup on M26 001 - small.jpg
T35 Flamethrower tank mock up

sdmahaneysc

Post by sdmahaneysc » 26 Apr 2015, 21:55

Hello all. I'm about four years late to the party on this one, but Google seems to like this thread for all its detail, so I expect someone else will be along soon.

I've scrolled through the thread and searched it some and I don't see anyone questioning just how all the heavy hardware was supposed to get to Japan in the first place. Assault shipping was claimed to be very tight in the planning, and that did not account for losses to the storms that hit the western Pacific in September and October.

For the book X-Day: Japan I had to come up with some reduction in lift capacity, and I guessed it to be about two divisions worth of assault shipping, in numbers of APA and LST type ships. I asserted that all the divisions went anyway,taking the biggest and less proven stuff off the manifests first. Why? Well I could make an argument about operational necessity of infantry to cover all the long fronts to be opened up on Kyushu, and certainly some staff officers would have made that argument. But the deciding factor for me was it made the book easier to write - and to read, as it wouldn't devolve into a parade of obscure hardware.

Oh sure, the big toys did show up eventually, but one character, a cargo rigger, complained loudly about how hard it was to fit the much wider and longer-gunned Pershings into a hold. :wink:

Outside of the fiction, it is a serious point worth adding to this thread. The logistic train from San Francisco to Kagoshima is awfully long. Besides the Pershing having much larger outer dimensions and total weight, it would require a new stream of ammo, parts, tool carts, support vehicles, bridging equipment, and so on.
www.xdayjapan.com - Front Line Reporting at the Greatest Invasion and the Dawn of Nuclear Warfare

Return to “USA 1919-1945”