I need held to ID US equipment from Utah Beach, Normandy

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Peter Jørgensen

I need held to ID US equipment from Utah Beach, Normandy

Post by Peter Jørgensen » 24 Apr 2014, 22:05

Hello.

I need help to identify these items found on Utah Beach, Normandy.

Does anyone know what it is? ...and which vehicle (probably US), ship, weapon etc. it originates from?

Thank you very much for your help!

Peter.
Attachments
Utah Beach fund 2.jpg
Utah Beach fund 2.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Utah Beach fund 3.jpg
Outer diameter: 112 mm.
The 4 drillings: between 11 and 13 mm.
Center (with thread): 23 mm.
"Gear wheel" outer: 72 mm.
"Gear wheel" inner: 50 mm.
Utah Beach fund 3.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Utah Beach fund 4.jpg
Utah Beach fund 4.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Utah Beach fund 6.jpg
Outer measurements: 125x59/91 mm.
Square hole: 42x36 mm.
Utah Beach fund 6.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Utah Beach fund 7.jpg
Utah Beach fund 7.jpg (53.76 KiB) Viewed 1566 times

geahanse

Re: I need held to ID US equipment from Utah Beach, Normandy

Post by geahanse » 06 May 2014, 22:28

What you have is a small wheel from an M3A1 Half Track which is used to spin the rear track of the vehicle. There were for of them on each side. Not sure where this was found from the D-Day landings but it was common for Half Track crews to carry extra spare wheels because often times they would need to be replaced from either damage from the terrain or from enemy fire. I have included artwork of such a half track as well as a close up photo. It is obviously a tank tread wheel and having an outer diameter of only 112 mm or 4.4 in, makes it very small for a tank wheel. Notice how there are 4 holes for the lugnuts to go through. You can also see those 4 holes in both the close up of the diagram and the photo. What may have happened is one of the spares fell off, was misplaced or either or.

The other item you have looks to be some sort of tie used in suspensions of tanks and other vehicles but I could not say for sure what exactly it is.

I hope this helps

-Sean
Attachments
m3%20halftrack%20wheels.jpg
m3%20halftrack%20wheels.jpg (104.59 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
Sketch62162555.png

Clive Mortimore

Post by Clive Mortimore » 07 May 2014, 00:27

Hi Geahanse

I think you will find what you have labled as spares were anti tank mines.

Yours

Clive
Clive

geahanse

Post by geahanse » 07 May 2014, 00:59

AFV 's in World War II carried spare wheels, tracks, and sprockets on both allies and axis, commonly stowed along the sides, rear and even underneath the carriage. But yes they also carried helmet, canvas packs, and anti tank mines but I have books outlining the use of spare wheels and sprockets along the sides of the passenger and gun carriages of half tracks leading me to believe they're spares

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 07 May 2014, 20:26

It looks like piece of a hand crank hoist or winch and a rubber strap end. What makes you think they are from WW2, except for the location they were found?

It might be, but it's just as likely they are from a French trawler.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 12 May 2014, 05:09

geahanse wrote:AFV 's in World War II carried spare wheels, tracks, and sprockets on both allies and axis, commonly stowed along the sides, rear and even underneath the carriage. But yes they also carried helmet, canvas packs, and anti tank mines but I have books outlining the use of spare wheels and sprockets along the sides of the passenger and gun carriages of half tracks leading me to believe they're spares
But there not, those are M1 or M4 Anti Tank Mines, and the racks were specifically for carrying M1/M4 Anti Tank Mines.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Return to “USA 1919-1945”