US Navy Seaman vs Other Ratings

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
geahanse

US Navy Seaman vs Other Ratings

Post by geahanse » 10 May 2014, 16:03

The US Navy had sailors whose ratings were Seaman First Class, Seaman Second Class, etc and then there was Boatswain's Mate Second Class, Machinist's Mate First Class and all others. I don't quite understand how this worked. So a sailor could be just a plain Seaman, and if he becomes a petty officer then his title is Petty Officer 3rd Class? Or a sailor could graduate boot camp and be an Electricians Mate Third Class/Radioman Third Class/etc. which is a petty officer with the same rank as a Seaman who had to work his way to promotion to a Petty Officer? Or a sailor could become a Seaman after boot camp and be "striking" to become an Electricians Mate? I guess I don't fully understand the Seaman rating and how they don't have a skill. What would they do on ships and how come some sailors skip the seaman rating??

geahanse

Re: US Navy Seaman vs Other Ratings

Post by geahanse » 12 May 2014, 15:12

Thanks, I understand what the rates are. I just don't understand how or why some sailors skipped the seaman class and star as a Boatswain's Mate Third Class, Machinist's Mate, etc. While others started as seaman third class, which is a way lower rank..also if someone doesn't have a specialty and starts as a Seaman, what happens when they advance to petty officer?

Sarge

Post by Sarge » 11 Aug 2014, 23:07

You don't make 3rd class PO if you don't have a specialty/rate!
There were a wide variety of names/stripe colors for E1-E3 = Seaman was black, airman was green, fireman was red, usv.
You chose or was assigned a specialty rating within your rate group which you worked at as an E1 thru 3. When you passed the time requirement/profiecency test you made 3rd class.
Everyone worked their way thru the E 1 - 3 ranks before becoming a 3rd class PO. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone skipping any of the 3 basic ranks.
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

geahanse

Post by geahanse » 14 Aug 2014, 03:29

Thanks Sarge,that makes a lot of sense. Are you a ww2 veteran?

Sarge

Post by Sarge » 15 Aug 2014, 03:13

Nope. I joined the Navy in 1953. I finished Boot Camp/rate training in Sep and they had quit shooting at each other in Korea in Jul/Aug. Oh well, I stuck around and so got to go to Viet Nam, altho I had switched to the Army by then.
Sarge
Calling Illegal Aliens “Undocumented residents” is like call Drug Dealers “Unlicensed Pharmacists!”
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

geahanse

Post by geahanse » 18 Aug 2014, 14:13

Thank you for your service!

Return to “USA 1919-1945”