question on US Special Projects 1-4, i.e. Doolittle Raid, D-Day, etc.

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

question on US Special Projects 1-4, i.e. Doolittle Raid, D-Day, etc.

Post by William Kramer » 02 Mar 2015, 23:05

Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to meet one of the surviving members of the Doolittle raid and some of his family this past weekend. When speaking with the daughter she had a question that I was unable to answer and hopefully somebody here can help me.

I have been told that there were several projects during the duration of the war. Special Project number one was the Doolittle raid on Tokyo and I believe Special Project number four was D-Day. Does anyone know of any other Special Projects, for instance, what were number two and number three?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

William Kramer

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: question on US Special Projects 1-4, i.e. Doolittle Raid, D-Day, etc.

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 Mar 2015, 06:24

Tried to check a couple books & found nothing in the few minutes available. I vaguely remember this was a method someone near Roosevelt used to identify projects that the President took a close interest in. There may have been more to it.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 04 Mar 2015, 18:32

I'm going to take a wild stab at it and say Op Watchtower was #2 and Torch was #3 given they were the first land offensives by US forces for each threater
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 04 Mar 2015, 19:10

FDR's military and naval aides were tasked with keeping him informed on matters he was interested in. But I'm not aware of a "Special Project" designator, not one for the whole government. OSS had a special projects department, etc. The designator for the Doolittle Raid was "B25B Special Project"
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”