Boys AT rifles used by the US Marine Corps in early 1942 on the Philippines - it's probably a mistake?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
jabu

Boys AT rifles used by the US Marine Corps in early 1942 on the Philippines - it's probably a mistake?

Post by jabu » 03 Mar 2015, 00:09

Hi,

A moment ago I accidentally reviewing book I found the information, that:

“Some Boys AT rifles used by the US Marine Corps in early 1942 on the Philippines against dug in Japanese infantry positions”
(Bishop, Chris, The encyclopedia of weapons of World War II, p. 213).

It's probably a mistake? I know that General MacArthur took over motor transport include 57 Universal Carriers from Canadian ship, the Don Jose – but these vehicles were (I think) without weapons.
I have a few good books on the 4th Marine Regiment. There is no mention anywhere that had used Boys AT rifles on the Philippines Campaign.

Text by Chris Bishop - it's probably a mistake.
If anyone will have any suggestions - I'll be grateful for any comments.

Regards,
jabu

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Boys AT rifles used by the US Marine Corps in early 1942 on the Philippines - it's probably a mistake?

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 03 Mar 2015, 03:29

The US Army possesed no US made AT rifles, nor AFAIK acquired none for use. What might have been purchased for the Phillipine army I cant say. Last I have never seen a reference to any 'AT rifle' acquired by the Marines. So, if the members of the 4th Marines were using AT rifles they may have come from this ships cargo.

ChristopherPerrien

Re: Boys AT rifles used by the US Marine Corps in early 1942 on the Philippines - it's probably a mistake?

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 03 Mar 2015, 05:59

AIUI, some elements of the original marine raider unit( who did buy BOYS as "test/specialized?" weapons), were reconstituted and elements were transferred
to PI as a regular Marine unit. Which would explain why a few BOYS were present and might have been used in desperation.

I.E.Parts of the 1st Marine Raider Reg became part the 4th? Marines in PI in 1941.
Best Guess without researching.

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 03 Mar 2015, 09:48

According to Bruce N. Canfield, US Infantry Weapons of World War II, "A relatively small number of Boys AT rifles was procured early in World War II by the USMC for the Raiders and by the US Army for some Ranger units. Each Marine Raider company was issued one of the weapons and each Army Ranger Battalion was issued three. (...) The Marine Raiders carried Boys AT rifles on the Makin Island raid and used the weapons to knock out two Japanese seaplanes anchored in the lagoon. It has also been confirmed that the Raiders used Boys rifles on Guadalcanal and New Georgia."

Nevertheless, a 1943 report on weapons used in combat by a Raider battalion considered the Boys "of absolutely no use in jungle warfare". Not much seems to be known about possible use by the Rangers, in any case the AT rifles were withdrawn as soon as bazookas became available, if not before. It seems the rifles bought by the US were Canadian-made (Inglis).

A few Boys were converted to .50 caliber for testing and evalauation in 1942, and I vaguely remember that such conversions were used as long-range sniper rifles in Korea.
Last edited by Knouterer on 03 Mar 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 03 Mar 2015, 10:59

At the risk of appearing flippant, The use of the Boys Anti Tank rifle at anytime by almost Army in WW2 seems to have been a mistake. :D

Knouterer

Post by Knouterer » 03 Mar 2015, 22:11

Oddly enough, just when other nations came to the conclusion that AT rifles were not much use anymore, the Russians started producing the 14.5 mm PTRS and PTRD AT rifles - with only marginally better performance than the Boys - by the tens of thousands. By saturating the battlefield with them, without regard to losses, they still managed to achieve some results.

There is a Russian war movie from the 1960s where a lonely Soviet soldier, on an otherwise empty battlefield, manages to knock out two Tiger tanks with an AT rifle. Amusing. I should try to post a clip of it.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 Mar 2015, 06:09

ChristopherPerrien wrote:AIUI, some elements of the original marine raider unit( who did buy BOYS as "test/specialized?" weapons), were reconstituted and elements were transferred
to PI as a regular Marine unit. Which would explain why a few BOYS were present and might have been used in desperation.

I.E.Parts of the 1st Marine Raider Reg became part the 4th? Marines in PI in 1941.
Best Guess without researching.
A quick look at the history of the Raider battalions shows few to none were sent to the PI in 1941.
Knouterer wrote:...
There is a Russian war movie from the 1960s where a lonely Soviet soldier, on an otherwise empty battlefield, manages to knock out two Tiger tanks with an AT rifle. Amusing. I should try to post a clip of it.

Seen it. Yet anther reason I avoid war movies :wink:

firstflabn

Post by firstflabn » 10 Mar 2015, 00:53

Can't help with the PI question, but since Boys questions don't arise too often, might as well throw this in:

A March 25, 1944, ETO ordnance reports shows 20 Boys Rifles on hand and another 20 required. This fits with the Feb 44 Ranger Bn T/O&E authorizing 20.

Not saying they were ever used, but they were available for one of the battalions.

Dwight Pruitt

Post by Dwight Pruitt » 10 Mar 2015, 08:18

Carl Schwamberger wrote: A quick look at the history of the Raider battalions shows few to none were sent to the PI in 1941.
The 4th Marines were destroyed on Corregidor in 1942. When the 4th Marines were reconstituted in Feb. 44, the 1st, 4th and 3rd Raider Battalions became the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines. 2nd Raider Bn became the Weapons Company of the 4th Marines.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 10 Mar 2015, 14:01

firstflabn wrote:Can't help with the PI question, but since Boys questions don't arise too often, might as well throw this in:

A March 25, 1944, ETO ordnance reports shows 20 Boys Rifles on hand and another 20 required. This fits with the Feb 44 Ranger Bn T/O&E authorizing 20.

Not saying they were ever used, but they were available for one of the battalions.
That endorses the view that Rangers were equipped with a lot of inappropriate equipment

Return to “USA 1919-1945”