Flood Relief Grain Shipping to China 1931- 1932

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Jerry Asher

Flood Relief Grain Shipping to China 1931- 1932

Post by Jerry Asher » 02 Apr 2015, 05:57

In early September 1931 the Republic Of China negotiated a loan to purchase grain. some whole wheat, some milled into flour as part of the emergency flood relief program. Most of this grain came from the American north western Montana, Washington, Oregon and Seattle/Tacoma and Portland would have been the likely loading ports, apparently there were sixty six ship loads, apparently all to Shanghai with the first arriving in Mid November 1931 and extending into March 1932 or later. I am interested in the names of the ships, date sailed, arrived and returned. I welcome anything at all that corrects or adds to the fragment I presented. What iss called in Japan, the first Shanghai Incident and in Chinese the 1/28 Incident would have been raging when some of these American flagged ships arrived so they were protected and perhaps some commentary survives. I am uncertain but it is possible that one of the terms of the loan required that American flagged ships be the carrier. Many thanks in advance. I think this is the first time i have posted on this board.

Takao

Re: Flood Relief Grain Shipping to China 1931- 1932

Post by Takao » 04 Apr 2015, 14:22

Have you read this(text of the Loan Agreement is on pg 216-217:
https://ia600502.us.archive.org/3/items ... 042mbp.pdf

To a point American ships were required to be used
VIII. American flag vessels shall be used for the transportation
of the wheat and/or flour unless vessels of other flags
are available at port of loading at the time of proposed shipments
in accordance with the schedule set forth in Item III on
terms more favorable to buyer than the terms offered by American
flag vessels.

Arrangements for shipping shall be made by the buyer
through a representative designated by it under open bids or
other arrangements conducted and completed in a manner
approved by the American Commercial Attache at Shanghai
designated to act for the seller.
The Ship list is part of Appendix III - 52 sailings are list, however, only one date is given "Date B/L"

Takao

Re: Flood Relief Grain Shipping to China 1931- 1932

Post by Takao » 04 Apr 2015, 14:54

To return...

I was going over this ship list again, and saw that it was incomplete - Two pages are missing(presumably sailings 53-66, and a possibly blank page).

Further on Another list gives the total as 66 Ocean going vessels delivering 225,000.006 short tons of Wheat and 160,125.042 short tons of Flour.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”