A&P Platoon, vs P&D Platoon

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Le Page

A&P Platoon, vs P&D Platoon

Post by Le Page » 15 Jun 2015, 07:18

It would seem to me that the Ammunition and Pioneer platoon and the Pioneer and Demolition platoon are the same thing, but I would like to know if there actually is a difference, or what the reason is for the difference in nomenclature.

I dimly recall reading something to the effect that A and P was a European Theater thing, whereas P and D was used in the Pacific.

Gary Kennedy

Re: A&P Platoon, vs P&D Platoon

Post by Gary Kennedy » 16 Jun 2015, 16:20

I'm familiar with the Ammunition & Pioneer Platoon as a part of the US Inf Bn organisation from 1940 onwards. I'm not aware of the same sub-unit being referred to as a Pioneer & Demolition Platoon in the Pacific Theatre, but I'm not that well read on the Pacific. I've tried a few variations in web searches and gothits for descriptions of Merrill's Marauders, which are referred to as having one such platoon per Combat Team (which looks to have consisted of one, or two, Rifle Coys, a Wpns Pl, Recn Pl and Medical Det).

I know that various types of 1942 era US Cavalry units included a Pioneer & Demolition Pl. The 1940 Horse & Mechanized Cav Regt included one in the HQ Troop, and the April 1942 T/O for a Cavalry Mechanized Sqn had one in its HQ Tp. The latter was only 14 strong, so not really a platoon, and had a Jeep, 3/4-ton command and recn truck and a 2.5-ton cargo truck. I recall that a number of US Cavalry Regts served as infantry units in the Pacific, so perhaps they carried over the term from their cavalry org?

Gary

Le Page

Re: A&P Platoon, vs P&D Platoon

Post by Le Page » 17 Jun 2015, 00:53

Gary Kennedy wrote:I recall that a number of US Cavalry Regts served as infantry units in the Pacific, so perhaps they carried over the term from their cavalry org?

Gary
OK, that is a good observation. Yes, cavalry units in the Pacific were still largely under the cavalry TO&E.

After looking at the various TO&E and other references, it seems that P and D certainly was a cavalry nomenclature and was still in use in both EAME and in Asia.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”