The use of Confederate heritage by the US Army in the 20th Century?

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
Sid Guttridge

The use of Confederate heritage by the US Army in the 20th Century?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Apr 2016, 12:55

It seems that it was the British who first gave the names Lee and Stuart to US tanks.

But did the US Army or Navy themselves adopt the names of Confederate officers for forts, ships etc.,?

If so, when did this start?

Was there any debate over officially rehabilitating and assimilating Confederate military heritage into the wider US military heritage?

Cheers,

Sid.

Hoist40

Re: The use of Confederate heritage by the US Army in the 20th Century?

Post by Hoist40 » 02 Apr 2016, 17:03

There were two USN ships named after Raphael Semmes the USN and then Confederate naval officer

USS Semmes (DD-189) Clemson-class Destroyer 1918-1946

USS Semmes (DDG-18) Adams-class Guided Missile Destroyer 1960-1991. Interestingly it was also home ported in Charleston South Carolina its entire commision

I served on the second one for a few years. There was not much talk about the name, certainly no talk about the confederacy. But then again I served on other ships and we did not talk much about their names either

The USS Buchanan (DDG-14) and USS Tattnall (DDG-19) were also named after a Confederate officers

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 02 Apr 2016, 17:20

There are numerous U.S. Army bases that were named after Confederate generals during the early to mid 20th Century. See the list here: http://time.com/3932914/army-bases-confederate/ To the best of my knowledge, this was not particularly contentious at the time the bases were named, but is a point of dispute today.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 03 Apr 2016, 06:16

Sid Guttridge wrote:It seems that it was the British who first gave the names Lee and Stuart to US tanks.

But did the US Army or Navy themselves adopt the names of Confederate officers for forts, ships etc.,?

If so, when did this start?

Was there any debate over officially rehabilitating and assimilating Confederate military heritage into the wider US military heritage?

Cheers,

Sid.
Camp Hood(now Fort Hood, then Tank Destroyer Center) Texas named for John Bell Hood CSA in 1941.
Active bases today include-
Fort Lee, Va.
Fort Bragg, NC.
Fort Gordon, Ga.
Fort Polk, La.
Fort A.P. Hill, Va.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

rcocean

Post by rcocean » 03 Apr 2016, 14:28

Sid Guttridge wrote:I Was there any debate over officially rehabilitating and assimilating Confederate military heritage into the wider US military heritage?

Interesting question. It seems the SJW's are now trying to "cleanse" US Military installations of their Confederate names. Talk about trivial pursuit. :lol:

Most US army bases/camps with confederate names were originally given those names during WW1. It made perfect sense in 1917 to give Southern names to US army Camps in the South. Usually an attempt was made to use a Confederate General with some connection to the State. Fort Lee VA being the perfect example.
When WW2 came about, the names were recycled.

And no, there no controversy at the time. There really isn't one now, except a made up one.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 03 Apr 2016, 14:53

rcocean wrote:
Sid Guttridge wrote:I Was there any debate over officially rehabilitating and assimilating Confederate military heritage into the wider US military heritage?

Interesting question. It seems the SJW's are now trying to "cleanse" US Military installations of their Confederate names. Talk about trivial pursuit. :lol:

Most US army bases/camps with confederate names were originally given those names during WW1. It made perfect sense in 1917 to give Southern names to US army Camps in the South. Usually an attempt was made to use a Confederate General with some connection to the State. Fort Lee VA being the perfect example.
When WW2 came about, the names were recycled.

And no, there no controversy at the time. There really isn't one now, except a made up one.
I would dispute that the modern controversy is "made up" and I would dispute that it is only "SJWs" who want to remove those names. I will leave it at that because this is going off topic and further discussion probably puts the thread at risk of being locked.

reedwh52

Post by reedwh52 » 04 Apr 2016, 01:52

The "rehabiliotation" of Confederate officers began shortly after the Civil War-General Joseph Wheeler, (commander of the Confederate cavalry corps of the Army of Tennessee) served as a Major General of Volunteers in 1898, serving in Cuba and in the Philippines. He was commissioned a Brigadier General (Regular Army) in 1900 and retired the same year.

During World War One, numerous military "camps" were established within the United States. Generally, they were named for famous officers with connections to the states where the camps were located.

The controversy concerns the cause they fought for, not their military abilities (in most cases).

South

Post by South » 04 Apr 2016, 09:40

http://www.genealogytoday.com/articles/ ... mv?ID=2758

Good morning Sid and all,

To add to the discussion, glance at the above link.

There were efforts to rehabilitate the nation.

Bob

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Apr 2016, 10:32

Hi Guyss,

Thanks. You have more than answered my question. I will step back and see if this thread develops further.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”