U.S. Ranger Uniforms in Sicily

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
let me offer you a nugget

U.S. Ranger Uniforms in Sicily

Post by let me offer you a nugget » 10 Jul 2016, 16:10

Hi,

I was wondering what the 1st and 4th Rangers would've worn during the Invasion of Sicily? Would they have the diamond gold and blue 'Ranger' insignia on their arms, or the red and black battalion insignia? I was also curious as to the use of helmet insignia's and netting.

Thanks.

von thoma

Re: U.S. Ranger Uniforms in Sicily

Post by von thoma » 29 Jul 2016, 03:46

The scroll was the official insignia for the 1st, 3rd and 4th Btns. These Rangers don't get much publicity because they were fighting in Italy - also because the entire 1st & 3rd Btns were killed or captured in a single day in January 1944 (only 6 out of about 800 Rangers returned to Allied lines).
After those losses the 4th Btn was disbanded and the remaining Rangers served with other special units in Italy like the FSSF.

The scroll was however also used, unofficially by the 2nd and 5th Ranger Btns starting in late 1944. Apparently most Rangers didn't like the diamond patch much so they had their own scroll patches made while they were fighting in Europe.
Only the 2nd and 5th used the ranger diamond for the Normandy invasion.

They use marks for company ID on their helmets, sometimes with cover, sometimes with netting.

I hope you find it useful.

A veteran BAR gunner in the invasions of Sicily and Italy, with the scroll insignia.
4 th Bataillon.jpg
4 th Bataillon.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Attachments
-1_Ranger_Battalion_.png
-1_Ranger_Battalion_.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 21 Aug 2016, 04:21

let me offer you a nugget wrote:Hi,

I was wondering what the 1st and 4th Rangers would've worn during the Invasion of Sicily? Would they have the diamond gold and blue 'Ranger' insignia on their arms, or the red and black battalion insignia? I was also curious as to the use of helmet insignia's and netting.

Thanks.
1 Ranger Bn set a policy of the Flannel Shirt and Wool Trousers as basic field uniform in North Africa (The wool providing a degree of warmth at night and insulation during the day). To this could be added the Field jacket or Winter Combat (Tanker) jacket as needed.

Unit Insignia was the scroll designed by SGT Anthony Rada HHC 1st Rgr Bn. The "Blue Sunoco" was the design of the US formed 2nd and 5th Rangers

Images exist of Rangers in North African and Sicily wearing burlap helmet covers, netting or just the helmet
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Post by let me offer you a nugget » 22 Aug 2016, 05:51

Thanks everyone for the input, i really appreciate it. Did Rangers also wear the M41 Field Jacket?

Post by let me offer you a nugget » 21 Oct 2016, 17:11

Excuse the last post; didn't see that it was already mentioned.

Return to “USA 1919-1945”