Research a service number

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
AvB
Financial supporter

Research a service number

Post by AvB » 24 Aug 2016, 17:52

I'm trying to get to know about this soldier who wrote his name and info on the wall.

T/186495 must be an American service number, T standing for Flight Officer? Or could it be Canadian or British too? It was found in a place on the coast near Boulogne-sur-Mer France. Don't expect Americans there.

Anyone know what Cat Axi Rel Pres means?
Attachments
lcpl-mcilroy.jpg

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: Research a service number

Post by OpanaPointer » 24 Aug 2016, 18:11

L/Cpl stands for Lance Corporal, one step above a plain corporal. So probably not an officer. "44" is old to be such a junior rank, which makes me think he was a retread from WWI.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 25 Aug 2016, 01:51

AvB wrote:I'm trying to get to know about this soldier who wrote his name and info on the wall.

T/186495 must be an American service number, T standing for Flight Officer? Or could it be Canadian or British too? It was found in a place on the coast near Boulogne-sur-Mer France. Don't expect Americans there.

Anyone know what Cat Axi Rel Pres means?
Its NOT a US serial number and the US Military did not use the rank of Lance Corporal in WW2.

US Serial Numbers in WW2

Examples
1335901 Regular Army starts with a 1
20252211 National Guard starts with a 2
3883456 Draftee (AUS) starts with a 3

O-19934 Officers
http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/page82.html
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Aug 2016, 03:25

The age suggests he was Home Guard?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

AvB
Financial supporter

Post by AvB » 25 Aug 2016, 11:01

Thanks to you. It's an odd combination indeed. As an old guy he could be working on an HQ?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 25 Aug 2016, 12:59

AvB wrote:Thanks to you. It's an odd combination indeed. As an old guy he could be working on an HQ?
Or any rear area unit, supply, motor pool, messing, etc. I know my 22 yo self would have laughed at my 44 yo self asking to go into combat. No doubt that some did an did well, but they would be the exception. Dying for your country is a young man's game. :(

(Patton quote goes here.)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 27 Aug 2016, 03:58

OpanaPointer wrote:
AvB wrote:Thanks to you. It's an odd combination indeed. As an old guy he could be working on an HQ?
Or any rear area unit, supply, motor pool, messing, etc. I know my 22 yo self would have laughed at my 44 yo self asking to go into combat. No doubt that some did an did well, but they would be the exception. Dying for your country is a young man's game. :(

In 2004 My Rifle Company took a 59 year old Combat Engineer from Buffalo to Iraq. He was a 12B20 whose Duty MOS was 11B20 Infantryman
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 27 Aug 2016, 14:53

LineDoggie wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:

In 2004 My Rifle Company took a 59 year old Combat Engineer from Buffalo to Iraq. He was a 12B20 whose Duty MOS was 11B20 Infantryman
Full props to the hard guy then. But we know that's an exception, right?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Return to “USA 1919-1945”