Mark I Helmet

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Imad

Mark I Helmet

Post by Imad » 29 Jun 2015, 20:04

Hello

What was different about the Mark I helmet, also known as the Tin Hat, worn by Commonwealth troops as opposed to British? Thanks in advance.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Mark I Helmet

Post by John G. » 29 Jun 2015, 22:01

Only real differance is "where they were made", resulting in slight differances in paint, liner, minor fittings, and most obviously, markings.... most "Commonwealth models" were repainted w/British paint for D-Day... and most British units were reissued the "Bell" helmet by 44/45 (not all, of course).

Hard to find a WW 2 "Battle used" British/Canadian helmet... as like US helmets, most saw numerous lives after WW2. Unissued or "no provenance" helmets are fairly common...but are certianly collectible.
There probably are detailed differances somewhere in "Cyberland"... search British/Commonwealt MK 1 helmet and see if anything comes up(beside dealers/ebay) that might give the exact differances... but very minor as far as it goes... mostly shade of paint and where it was made...
Best I can do...
John G.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”