Dover Command September 15th 1940

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Andy H
Forum Staff

Dover Command September 15th 1940

Post by Andy H » 08 Feb 2007, 18:08

The following main text comes from ADM208/3-The Red List (Minor War Vessels in Home Waters as of 4pm 15/09/1940). * will be used to indicate other sources where appropriate.

This is a 40 plus page document with listings of several hundred vessels and there various commands & locations at the stated time/date. I will attempt over the coming days/weeks to post the various commands etc, starting with those nearest the proposed Seelowe landing areas.

NB:The Armament (where known) is listed for the largest weapon carried. The number and combinations (of weapons) could vary from vessel to vessel

Dover Command

Dover

Auxillary Patrol Vessel-Conidaw armed with Lewis gun(s)

Drifters (all armed with 3Pdrs) x17
Eileen Emma, Forecast, Gervais Rentoul, Girl Gladys, Golden Gift, Torbay II, Lord Howard, Lord Howe, Midas, Netsukis, Reverberation, Shipmates, The Boys, Golden Sunbeam, Ut Prosim, Yorkshire Lass & Young Mom

Motor Boats (arnament unknown) x9
Davia, Dorbett, Elizabeth, Gamebird, Kinuna, Sajo, Silver Vanity, Tinamu & Widgeon II

Minesweeping Group (Trawlers) 22
Stella Orion, Oku & Mount Kean, all fitted with DG eqiupment and MK I or MKII sweeps

Minesweeping Group (Trawlers) 50
Botanic, Maretta, Fyldea & Burke, all fitted with DG eqiupment and MK I or MKII sweeps

Minesweeping Group (Trawlers) 51
Arley & John Cattling, all fitted with DG eqiupment and MK I, MKII sweeps or Tow Skids only

Minesweeping Group (Trawlers) 61
Brock, Adam, Lois & Wigan, all fitted with DG eqiupment and MK I or MKII sweeps

Minesweeping Group 125
Kingscourt, Athenian & Emillion, fitted with various equipment packages inc- Double L sweep units (some convertiable to Oropesa)

Minesweeping Group 126
Clythness, Taipo, Ben Glas & Onetos, fitted with various equipment packages inc- Double L sweep units (some convertiable to Oropesa)

Minesweeping Drifters
Playmates & Willing Boys, MK I, MKII sweeps or Tow Skids only. The latter was suffering defects which affected its deployment.

Echo Sounding Yacht
Chico

Examination Service vessel
Queen of the Fleet

RAF Rescue Service, x8
Zip I, Zip II, Cora, Madgeo, Miss Littlehampton, Vivacity & Aero-Matine II

Balloon Barrage Service (Drifters)
Lord Keith & Lord St Vincent

Boom Defence Vessel
Falconet

Rescue Tug
Lady Brassey

In all some 62 minor vessels were operating from Dover even after the larger RN DD's left earlier in the year.

Ramsgate

Auxillary Patrol Vessel-Yachts armed with Lewis gun(s) x2
New Pride of Essex & Spitfire III

Auxillary Patrol Vessel-Trawlers armed with 12Pdr gun(s) x3
Artic Trapper, Sarpedon & Mary A Hastie

Auxillary Patrol Vessel-Trawlers armed with 6Pdr gun(s) x3
Cmd Nasmith, Cmd Holbrook & George Adgell

Auxillary Patrol Vessel-Drifters armed with Lewis gun(s) x6
Starlight, Thomsons, Jacketa, Silver Dawn, Fisher Boy & Fidget, all fitted with Magnetic Sweep equipment

Motor Boats x15, armed with Lewis gun(s)
Aberdonia, Autricia, Dulcibella, Forty Two, Iere, Jinty, Little Mariner, Maimonde, Mare Nostrum, Minnehaha, Nayland, Pride of Essex, Sun Seeker, Walker I & Zelea

Bomb Disposal Craft
Bill Adams

Echo Sounding Yacht
Bystander fitted with Asdic

Drifters x4
Dorando-Pietri, Lord Collingwood, Lord Rodney & Ocean Breeze

Motor Fishing Vessel
Dusky Queen & Pathway

Fast Motor Boats
Jano, Sea Lord & Mireille

In all some 39 vessels

Regards