Guards AD 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
danebrog

Guards AD 1945

Post by danebrog » 17 Nov 2008, 17:06

Hello all

I am searching for tank losses of the Guards AD from 10. to 16. April 1945 in the Cloppenburg/Vechta area.
Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for all efforts.

danebrog

gjkennedy

Re: Guards AD 1945

Post by gjkennedy » 20 Nov 2008, 14:15

I suspect the war diaries of the relevant units would tell you specifically how many tanks were lost on which dates, and possibly even the location. It depends if you can, or want to, go to the expense of getting copies. War diaries should be available from the National Archives (PRO as was), and you might be able to order copies of the pages covering the specific dates you're interested in. Online ordering is an option and they will post overseas, but you have to be very specific about what you're looking for as they don't undertake research for you. Professional researchers are another option.

The only info I can offer is from the 21st Army Group AFV returns, compiled weekly during 1945. On 7th April 1945 Gds Armd Div reported 161 Sherman V, 18 Sherman IC, 32 Sherman VC, 13 Challenger and 66 Cromwell tanks. By 21st April 1945 the report shows 148 Sherman V, 16 Sherman IC, 32 Sherman VC, 8 Challengers and 59 Cromwell tanks.

Reductions in tank numbers could be due to non-combat factors such as simple breakdowns, so these totals might not reflect losses to enemy action. Hope that might be some help, I never like to see a British related thread with no replies even when it is a tough question!

Gary

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”