HMS Malaya

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Mark McShane

HMS Malaya

Post by Mark McShane » 20 Apr 2009, 17:11

Quick question, what spotter planes was HMS Malaya carrying around March 1941? (The aircraft that spotted Scharnhorst & Gneisenau)

Regards,

Mark

mescal

Re: HMS Malaya

Post by mescal » 20 Apr 2009, 18:37

Hello,

It was a Swordfish floatplane.

According to naval-history.net :
8th March
Between 0251 and 0256 hours, 5 merchants in the convoy were torpedoed and sunk by U.105 and U.124.
At 1330 hours 130 miles off Cape Blanco FORESTER, which was well to the west of the convoy, briefly sighted SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU steaming towards the convoy.
The German ships were also sighted at the same time by MALAYA’S patrolling Swordfish. Following the sightings MALAYA and FAULKNOR hauled out of the convoy to join FORESTER, and to put themselves between the convoy and the enemy.
Olivier

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 20 Apr 2009, 20:36

Thanks,

That was the first reference I read too about the incident. Have also read that it was a Walrus plane. :? Hence my confusion and the question.

Mark

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 23 Apr 2009, 00:33

Coldmeter wrote:Thanks,

That was the first reference I read too about the incident. Have also read that it was a Walrus plane. :? Hence my confusion and the question.

Mark
The Fairey Swordfish was flown by Lt G R Brown (Pilot), Sub-Lt R G Drake (Observer) and R H George (Gunner).

After spotting the German ships and seeing them safely off, the convoy that the Malaya was protecting was attacked by several U Boats, and she was hit by 2 torps. The ship did not sink and made its way to NY. However the ship was unable to rcover its Swordfish so Brown ditched the plane. His SOS was picked up in Spain and he and his crew were picked up Cabo de Buena Esperanza. The Capt also salvaged the plane(!).

Source: The Swordfish Story by Ray Stutivant and published by Cassell 2000

Regards

Andy H

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 23 Apr 2009, 01:39

Thanks Andy, thats sorted.

Regards,

Mark

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”